Graphics
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr OC 2GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Article: OS X 10.8.2 Update

+1 on this method. No go with an update on mine, no deletions of kexts or vt-d disable would do the trick. Went with clean install, using Koxleks' FakeSMC on reboot instead of Multibeast. All other install as normal. Serial#s, everything works great. Thanks Maroder.

Hi,

I updates to 10.8.2 via combo updater, but couldn't boot past the gray startup screen, because of OemSMBIOS.kext. After replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the old one from a previous post in this thread, my system booted without any problems.

Now, as I really don't like having legacy kexts on my system, I tried out various methods to allow me to keep the vanilla 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The solution was quite easy and had a great benefit to it. I installed Kozleks branch of FakeSMC + optional Kexts for sensors: https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors

Not only can I now boot with the original 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, without having OemSMBIOS.kext throwing an error, but I also get much more information from my hardware sensors opposed to the original FlakeSMC-Plugins from Multibeast. Furthermore a serial number is generated for my machine (so no problems with iCloud and Appstore) and VT-d can stay enabled in BIOS! This kexts should find their way into the next Multibeast update.

Using the kexts from Kozlek was a win-win for me :) Please only try at your own risk and backup your system before trying this. This worked great for me, but could kill your installation.

Motherboard
OSX
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
dual- Gigabyte GTX 670s
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 on Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt and i7-3770K using built-in updater from Mac App Store.
[h=1][/h]After update and reboot, my system froze and kernel-panicked at startup; saw the gray screen and rotating apple thingy of doom.

Had to restart and boot into safe mode (-x) at the bootloader screen. Once I got back into OSX, I followed the same instructions given earlier in the comments:

1. Delete the
OemSMBIOS.kext file. It's located in
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/OemSMBIOS.kext
2. Open Terminal and
type "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /"
3. Still in Terminal, type "sudo kextcache -system-caches"
4. Open Multibeast and re-install the ALC892 audio driver.
5. Restart.

Steps 2 and 3 I think are necessary. I restarted after Step 1 and I still KP'd at startup. Only after I went back into safe mode and did Steps 2 and 3 did it start up properly. Everything seems to work fine now.

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - 2606 - UEFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

The next version of MultiBeast will use Kozlek's branch of FakeSMC as I found it also fixes some other annoying bugs and has some nice new capabilities.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
Core i3 4330
Graphics
HD4600
Mobile Phone
iOS

The next version of MultiBeast will use Kozlek's branch of FakeSMC as I found it also fixes some other annoying bugs and has some nice new capabilities.
thanks for the update!
I will wait for that release before updating =)

Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
I5 2500K
Graphics
HD 3000 + RX 560
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android, Other
Updated with Combo link: error at the end, i went straight on anyway and ran Multibeast which ended up with an error too.
I rebooted with a message before gigabyte screen saying that bios settings are changed (may be my ram that i set to run at 1666mhz instead of 1333) and update was completed, all worked like before (still graphics problem at the boot with at least double the resolution my Eizo should run, i can only see a part of the screen but it's not a big deal).
Really smooth update for my Z68X-UD3HB3 mobo.

Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 580 dh57m02 H57
CPU
3.06 GHz Intel Core i3-540
Graphics
EVGA GeForce 610
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
so i don't know what i'm doing wrong. after updating from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2, i ran multibeast checked rolled back AppleACPIPlatform and deleted OemSMBIOS.kext. yet i still can't boot. i tried to boot under safe mode, as well as with the boot flag PCIRootUID=0 (it's helped me in the past) but to no avail. luckily i made a test partition to work these bugs out before updating my main partition. i've learned my lesson many times via the hard way haha. anyways, here's a screenshot after i booted with -v. any help will be greatly appreciated and let me know if you need any more info from me. thanks!

System
Dell Inspiron 580 dh57m02 H57CPU
3.06 GHz Intel Core i3-540Graphics
EVGA GeForce 610

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix RX5700 XT

I didn't use the installer provided by the package. I used Kext Utility (http://cvad-mac.narod2.ru/Kext_Utility) which also repairs permissions and rebuilds your caches after installing a kext. First of all I reinstalled the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.8.2 by pulling the file onto Kext Utility window and waited for the tool to finish its magic. After that I installed the kexts from the binaries folder of the ZIP-File the same way.

- ACPISensors.kext
- CPUSensors.kext
- FakeSMC.kext
- GPUSensors.kext
- MotherboardSensors.kext

Now everything works perfect, even with VT-d enabled. As I said I'm using a DSDT-Installation. If you use a DSDT-free Installation, there may be a different solution.
Unfortunately, didn't work for me. Even with kozlek's FakeSMC branch, boot still hung with 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext if vt-d is enabled in BIOS. I still need to rollback to the previous version of the ACPI kext for this to work (FYI I ended up keeping kozlek's FakeSMC anyway, as I like its version of HWMonitor apps) Yes, I am running on a DSDT-less build (GA-Z77X-UP5 TH) and hence the different result perhaps...

Motherboard
Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
Quadro M4000
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Classic, Color Classic, iBook, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS

You are going to have to re-install the working ATI kexts from Lion to Mountain Lion using kextbeast. These are: ATI6000controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext in S/L/E. The update installed new drivers that do not work. How to do this: Three ways: First: Boot your Unibeast USB stick using -s flag and when you get stuck, try typing "exit" once or twice to see if that gets you to a screen where you can replace the kexts. Second: Remove your ATI video board and run a cheap supported card to get to your desktop. I use an Nvidia GT440 for this purpose. Then replace the kexts, re-install your ATI and good to go. Third is to boot your Unibeast USB with -s option which should work since it has the old Mountain Lion or Lion with your old kexts that were working. Re-install the update and before rebooting, update the kexts. When you are back at desktop, download the 10.8.2 combo update, install, do not reboot, update the ATI kexts again and run Multibeast and good to go
Hi
I'm using the original KEXT ATI 6000 controller 8.0.6.1 in the ML 10.8.2 , with my hd6850 is working with no problem included i use intel hd4000 with thunderbolt display and Graphic enabler= yes
My mobo is GA-UP4TH 3770s 16gb ram hd6850 2 hd 1tb each one with win8 and ML 10.8.2 all is working except for the 4 usb port on the back
thank you to everyone is working on too improve the compatibility

Attachments

Motherboard
montain lion 10.8.2
CPU
i3 550
Graphics
inno 3d gt430
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
upgrade to version 10.8.2 been successful no problem after upgrade....!! ooyes perfect

Motherboard
none
CPU
none
Graphics
none
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Great~ Thank you.
It fix all my issue on GA-Z77X-UP4 TH/ i7-3770/ AMD Radeon HD 6780。
Now I don't need to remove OemSMBIOS.kext and I can turn VT-d ON in BIOS setting. Everything works well as before after update to 10.8.2.
Can you PLEASE repost link, seems to be broken. I have this exact problem and nothing else has come close to helping. By the way, what is VT-d and where in the bios is it, I can't find it anywhere??? Much thanks.
Total Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.