Contribute
Register

Nvidia Hardware Acceleration Issue After Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to this thread with some of my findings:

The corruption seems to depend somewhat on which SMBIOS definition you pick. For my system (z77/2500k/GTX670), mac-pro is okay, but mac-mini causes corruption as shown.

View attachment 72452

Also, this error is caused by the same corruption. The system tries to use HW acceleration to create icon previews for video files.

View attachment 72453

Videos are opening up fine with quick time. I am having issue downloading files and opening apps like Chrome etc... Do you think that has to do with the SMBIOS definition too ?

To add to this thread with some of my findings:

The corruption seems to depend somewhat on which SMBIOS definition you pick. For my system (z77/2500k/GTX670), mac-pro is okay, but mac-mini causes corruption as shown.

View attachment 72452

Also, this error is caused by the same corruption. The system tries to use HW acceleration to create icon previews for video files.

View attachment 72453

Try changing SMBios to iMac13,2 and adding your graphics card at Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 in the AGPM kext.
Solves the video playback issue, though you lose some CPU states.

I found something after a lot of troubleshooting. I was using system definition of MacBookPro8,1 because of CPU i7 2700K and HD3000. I experiment with more SMBIOS boards like MacPro4,1 or 5,1 but I lost some CPU power management. The videos and graphics acceleration indeed get fixed.. So I wanted to something to fix both of them. I decided to use iMac12,2 because the real iMac12,2 is using a 2600 processor with HD3000, so I took the CPU states back and also the GPU had h/w acceleration. But there was a real problem with the GPU power management. After a lot of search I updated the HWMonitor program, and now everything is working very solid and good, with CPU and GPU power management and no problem with h/w acceleration. So maybe first you change your sysdef and then update your HWMonitor and HWSensors (it goes with the program)..

Try changing SMBios to iMac13,2 and adding your graphics card at Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 in the AGPM kext.

I know. I would rather live with missing video acceleration in osx naitive applications than to switch SMBIOs. with Mac Pro I had decent power management, but with MacMini i have PERFECT​ power management. Is there another method to fix?

With that said, ill try other definitions with Mavericks. But the only one that has given me idle/max p-states has been MacMini.

So, I fixed my issue (although I need to do some benchmarking first).

I went back in time (but not really) and looked at the different file versions in /System/Library/Extensions. A year ago, I had these same issues and found a thread with some NVidia kexts to download; these fixed the same hardware acceleration issues at the time.

Here's a list of them:

GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle
NVClockX.kext
NVDAGF100Hal.kext
NVDAGK100Hal.kext
NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVDAResmanTesla.kext
NVDAStartup.kext
NVSMU.kext

I've put them online for you to download and test.

Note that all kexts starting with GeForce are not present in the default Mavericks installation. So my best guess is that they are responsible for the hardware acceleration. I advise you to just install these first (with Kext Utility) and see what it does. You should be able to verify this by adding a widget to your dashboard and see if any ripples come up. If so, it's all good.

Let me know what this does for you!

Thanks for uploading the them, but I still get the same error. Any solution? Thanks!

FIXED my issue! :):D:lol::p

changed SMBIOS to iMac 13,2 (13,2 has the closest match of GFX and CPU type (1155 i5/i7 and GTX 6xx series)

Now i've got full video acceleration and no corruption during playback, and best of all, all of my p-states are kept!

Thanks!

I try to get the hardware acceleration to work for my Geforece GTX 260 896MB card. I would like to experiment with changing my SMBIOS..

Can you help me what/how to do to make sure that I can restore if something goes wrong?

My current build runs very well -I had to add the GrpahicsEnabler=YES boot flag-except the hardware acceleration.

FIXED my issue! :):D:lol::p

changed SMBIOS to iMac 13,2 (13,2 has the closest match of GFX and CPU type (1155 i5/i7 and GTX 6xx series)

Now i've got full video acceleration and no corruption during playback, and best of all, all of my p-states are kept!

Thanks!

@borna:

have u checked up your gpu-frequencies lately ? some users of kepler-cards (including me) have the problem, that after using certain app (it seems opencl-apps) like transmission, the gpu is stucking at max power ! Could u please test this and report back ?

Thanx in advance, Jazzman1969

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back