Contribute
Register

Nvidia Hardware Acceleration Issue After Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, is there an official way to solved the pink/green issues in Quicktime X? GTX 670 here. It's kind of really important to me as I work everyday with video, I would really appreciate any help.

Using i7 4930K on GA-X79-UP4 with GTX 670. MacPro 5,1 in SMBIOS. Only Quicktime has issues. Vimeo/Youtube has been solved by unchecking Hardware Accelerated
Thanks!

The only way I know of at the present time (i think this pertains to itunes drm files too) is to run a nvidia or amd card on a 6-series (or lower) chipset.

It must be an unsolvable problem (except by intel/apple); you would think with a decent amount of the hackintosh community using 7+ series chipsets and/or intel hd graphics that somebody would have come up with a fix for quicktime/itunes/drm issues by now if it were possible.

The only way I know of at the present time (i think this pertains to itunes drm files too) is to run a nvidia or amd card on a 6-series (or lower) chipset.

It must be an unsolvable problem (except by intel/apple); you would think with a decent amount of the hackintosh community using 7+ series chipsets and/or intel hd graphics that somebody would have come up with a fix for quicktime/itunes/drm issues by now if it were possible.

You mean to have like a GTX 660 by 6- series or you say that GTX 6XX are OK?

Update to 10.9.2 solved my issue! :idea:

izmax22

Did you get it working? I haven't been watching the thread as I thought there was no interest in the 635. It's Kepler based, GK208 to be exact and it should work out of the box. Make sure graphics enabler is off, if you had to do any kext hacks for another video card in the past then that might be your issue. Also, is your onboard graphics disabled? Are you using a DC7900, if so make sure the card is plugged into the x16 slot as that will automatically disable the onboard graphics.

You mean to have like a GTX 660 by 6- series or you say that GTX 6XX are OK?

Oh sorry no---what I meant was your mobo chipset---the Intel 7 or 8 series chipsets tend to be the problem with itunes DRM, no matter what videocard you use. The 6 series, you cant use HD3000/4000 but any nvidia or AMD should work with itunes DRM.

Just like everyone else here I have some NVIDIA issues. I just finished my first Hackintosh build it's quite impressive. It's a buyer's guide version and I've update my profile to include all the details. My issue is that all video stutters, files, web video (YouTube, etc) and the audio gives out after 7 secs max. I have the updated CUDA drivers installed and have ran some Cinebench tests and Unigine and they all run fine. I have tried applying the kexts posted here by someone who had similar hardware issues and specs but that was a no go. I will be using this build for my Final Cut editing suite so it's going to be important to get this working somehow. I'm flexible on versions of Final Cut because I haven't upgraded to X yet and can downgrade to Mountain Lion if it will get this working. The issue with that is I'm not sure my video card will be supported in Mountain Lion either. This might also be an off the wall question but I know that there are new Mavericks NVIDIA drivers for some of the 6XX series that were with the older Mac 5,1's and thought about trying that. However, I know that Apple tailors their OS to only the equipment they plan on supporting and that means only that same past equipment would be there too. So, it probably wouldn't help either.

Any thoughts?

P.S. It would be great if there was a guru who knew how to take any of the Linux variants from NVIDIA's site for graphics cards and tweak them for Mac.

So, I fixed my issue (although I need to do some benchmarking first).

I went back in time (but not really) and looked at the different file versions in /System/Library/Extensions. A year ago, I had these same issues and found a thread with some NVidia kexts to download; these fixed the same hardware acceleration issues at the time.

Here's a list of them:

GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle
NVClockX.kext
NVDAGF100Hal.kext
NVDAGK100Hal.kext
NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVDAResmanTesla.kext
NVDAStartup.kext
NVSMU.kext

I've put them online for you to download and test.

Note that all kexts starting with GeForce are not present in the default Mavericks installation. So my best guess is that they are responsible for the hardware acceleration. I advise you to just install these first (with Kext Utility) and see what it does. You should be able to verify this by adding a widget to your dashboard and see if any ripples come up. If so, it's all good.

Let me know what this does for you!

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. If you have a GeForce and/or NVIDIA card and you updated Mavericks, this is the place to get your stuff. I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. If you have a GeForce and/or NVIDIA card and you updated Mavericks, this is the place to get your stuff. I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH.
You're welcome :) Glad I can help someone.

Mavericks still has this issue btw? I keep those kexts in there just to be safe, never had any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back