Contribute
Register

Nvidia Hardware Acceleration Issue After Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, having issues on both hackintoshes here. One with 9800GTX+ the other is GTX460.

Both got approx. 100 FPS on MineCraft in Lion. Both now have at best 40, and typical 15-20 when there's a lot of objects. Also the loading is much slower, more glitches etc.

Is there a missing OpenGL driver or anything? I really don't understand this issue. It's not a noticeable difference in the OS itself...

Having the exact same issues here with my 9800GTX+ when it comes to Minecraft. Have not tested in Youtube or similar, but frame rates have dropped to < 30 in MineCraft (and I would assume all other games)

I installed all of the kexts provided early on in this thread and no improvement.

Also tried updating SMBIOS to a system definition of MacPro5,1 but this immediately caused a kernel panic on reboot

I have set GraphicsEnabler=Yes IGPEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1, MB is GA-EP45-UD3L F9

Any help is appreciated, kids are driving me crazy now!

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT YOU ARE THE MAN... I loaded this Kexts and no more flickering for me. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I fixed my issue (although I need to do some benchmarking first).

I went back in time (but not really) and looked at the different file versions in /System/Library/Extensions. A year ago, I had these same issues and found a thread with some NVidia kexts to download; these fixed the same hardware acceleration issues at the time.

Here's a list of them:

GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle
NVClockX.kext
NVDAGF100Hal.kext
NVDAGK100Hal.kext
NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVDAResmanTesla.kext
NVDAStartup.kext
NVSMU.kext

I've put them online for you to download and test.

Note that all kexts starting with GeForce are not present in the default Mavericks installation. So my best guess is that they are responsible for the hardware acceleration. I advise you to just install these first (with Kext Utility) and see what it does. You should be able to verify this by adding a widget to your dashboard and see if any ripples come up. If so, it's all good.

Let me know what this does for you!

Having the exact same issues here with my 9800GTX+ when it comes to Minecraft. Have not tested in Youtube or similar, but frame rates have dropped to < 30 in MineCraft (and I would assume all other games)

I installed all of the kexts provided early on in this thread and no improvement.

Also tried updating SMBIOS to a system definition of MacPro5,1 but this immediately caused a kernel panic on reboot

I have set GraphicsEnabler=Yes IGPEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1, MB is GA-EP45-UD3L F9

Did you figure it out? I'm still experiencing the same problems...

iba,

That's great news on the GT630 Kepler card. I have an HP DC7900 that has a maximum power draw of 35-Watts on the PCIe x16 slot. Currently have a GT210 card installed and was considering the GT610 until I discovered the GT630 Kepler card. Maximum power draw of 25-Watts, low profile and Kepler core. Can't wait to get it installed in Mavericks.

Sounds like you all issues cleared up. Is that right?

I would have PM'd you but I don't have enough posts yet.

EDIT:

At the last minute I discovered the NVIDIA OEM GT 635 video card. Basically a slightly faster version of the Kepler based GT 630 with a maximum power draw of 35-Watts, the maximum the HP DC7900 supports. I found some new cards on eBay for $40 with free shipping, less than the cost of a new GT 630 Kepler from newegg.

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 (OEM) came in today... it kicks ass.

For the DC7900 SFF (which can only supply 35-Watts to its PCIe x16 Slot and is low-profile) this is absolutely the fastest card I have found. Here are the numbers compared to the GeForce 210 that it replaced.

GeForce 210 http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210/specifications

GraphicsEnabler=Yes
NovaBench Graphics Score: 41 (95-FPS)
LuxMark 2.1: 16
HDMI Sound: Horrible
iMovie 10.0.2: Stutters on maps and previewing transitions, spinning beach ball during certain operations, just crappy and not anything you would want to edit video on without wanting to hurt small animals afterwards.

GeForce GT 635 (OEM) http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem/specifications

GraphicsEnabler=No
NovaBench Graphics Score: 121 (337-FPS)
LuxMark 2.1: 213
HDMI Sound: Sounds good through speakers, will not know true fidelity until I get headphones with amplifier hooked up.
iMovie 10.0.2: Very smooth, completely usable and the main reason for the build to begin with.

If you need a low-profile card that does not consume a lot of power (35-Watts), has 384 CUDA cores, Kepler based GPU with full Mavericks support and is decently fast (for what it is) then look no further.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. The GT 635 (OEM) that I got is only low-profile ready, it did not include the low-profile bracket. I had to install the low-profile bracket from the 210. Had I not had a low-profile bracket I would have gotten one separately or cut and bent the full-height bracket to fit (Large tin snips and Vise-Grips make this a breeze).

Hmmm, now I'm gonna have to put another one of these cards in the other slot just to see what 768 of these GK208 CUDA cores can do... Crazy and silly but I honestly expect to surpass a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti's LuxMark score, for about half the cost while staying low-profile and staying within my meager power limits. I understand it doesn't compare at all with games but I don't care about games, just accelerating OpenCL for things like video editing. The GK208 is definitely better clock-for-clock than the GK107.

I cant seem to get my GT 635 to work with mavericks. It does "work" but it doesnt show up in about my mac. max resolution is 1024 x768. Any help on this matter would be awesome. Thank you in Advance!

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 (OEM) came in today... it kicks ass.

For the DC7900 SFF (which can only supply 35-Watts to its PCIe x16 Slot and is low-profile) this is absolutely the fastest card I have found. Here are the numbers compared to the GeForce 210 that it replaced.

GeForce 210 http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210/specifications

GraphicsEnabler=Yes
NovaBench Graphics Score: 41 (95-FPS)
LuxMark 2.1: 16
HDMI Sound: Horrible
iMovie 10.0.2: Stutters on maps and previewing transitions, spinning beach ball during certain operations, just crappy and not anything you would want to edit video on without wanting to hurt small animals afterwards.

GeForce GT 635 (OEM) http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem/specifications

GraphicsEnabler=No
NovaBench Graphics Score: 121 (337-FPS)
LuxMark 2.1: 213
HDMI Sound: Sounds good through speakers, will not know true fidelity until I get headphones with amplifier hooked up.
iMovie 10.0.2: Very smooth, completely usable and the main reason for the build to begin with.

If you need a low-profile card that does not consume a lot of power (35-Watts), has 384 CUDA cores, Kepler based GPU with full Mavericks support and is decently fast (for what it is) then look no further.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. The GT 635 (OEM) that I got is only low-profile ready, it did not include the low-profile bracket. I had to install the low-profile bracket from the 210. Had I not had a low-profile bracket I would have gotten one separately or cut and bent the full-height bracket to fit (Large tin snips and Vise-Grips make this a breeze).

Old post, but you need to delete the TyMCE kext in /S/L/E to get macpro5,1 to work---it assumes you have ECC RAM when that kext loads.

If you figured that out already, sorry.

Actually, is there an official way to solved the pink/green issues in Quicktime X? GTX 670 here. It's kind of really important to me as I work everyday with video, I would really appreciate any help.

Using i7 4930K on GA-X79-UP4 with GTX 670. MacPro 5,1 in SMBIOS. Only Quicktime has issues. Vimeo/Youtube has been solved by unchecking Hardware Accelerated
Thanks!

Actually, is there an official way to solved the pink/green issues in Quicktime X? GTX 670 here. It's kind of really important to me as I work everyday with video, I would really appreciate any help.

Using i7 4930K on GA-X79-UP4 with GTX 670. MacPro 5,1 in SMBIOS. Only Quicktime has issues. Vimeo/Youtube has been solved by unchecking Hardware Accelerated
Thanks!

Have you tried using an iMac smbios as it has ivy support?

edit: never mind, I just realized this is an ivy-e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back