Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just put a vega 56 in my box with my current GTX1080ti, will wait to see how this turns out before selling my Nvidia, as it's still more powerful and better power consumption, although may end up keeping both to change between when Nvidia drivers are not available now that I have them both working together

Hi, I did the same with a far less powerful AMD card, a 7850 working OOB in the second slot while keeping the 1080ti in the first one, I want to give a chance to Nvidia to propose drivers in the near future, plus I'm still working with Sierra and upgrading to Mojave is just for the fun. So, I've managed to update a clone of my perfectly working 10.12.6 setup to Mojave but the only thing not working at the moment is sleep.
More precisely, Nvidia webdrivers are uninstalled, nothing is injected for the HD7850, with this setup the computer goes to sleep as it should but instead of waking up, it reboots.
Does your computer sleeps and wake OK with a 1080ti and vega56 at the same time? I suppose it won't because of the lack of Nvidia driver but perhaps I just forgot to tweak a thing or two?
I just need a yes or no, if it works for you I'll dig in by myself.

Edit: did a "pmset -g log | grep -i failure" and the result is:
2018-10-16 19:26:13 +0200 Failure Drivers Failure during wake due to PEG1():
So, I suppose PEG1 is the second slot, the one with the 7850, PEG0 should be the 1080ti. Perhaps I lack something for my radeon to have wake working.

Last edited:
Hi, I did the same with a far less powerful AMD card, a 7850 working OOB in the second slot while keeping the 1080ti in the first one, I want to give a chance to Nvidia to propose drivers in the near future, plus I'm still working with Sierra and upgrading to Mojave is just for the fun. So, I've managed to update a clone of my perfectly working 10.12.6 setup to Mojave but the only thing not working at the moment is sleep.
More precisely, Nvidia webdrivers are uninstalled, nothing is injected for the HD7850, with this setup the computer goes to sleep as it should but instead of waking up, it reboots.
Does your computer sleeps and wake OK with a 1080ti and vega56 at the same time? I suppose it won't because of the lack of Nvidia driver but perhaps I just forgot to tweak a thing or two?
I just need a yes or no, if it works for you I'll dig in by myself.
I am still on High Sierra, as I am waiting on a new monitor to be able to connect to the Vega, and then will upgrade - currently my 1080ti connects via DVI-D & this is the only connection on my main monitor. Both cards are functional and I can connect my smaller side monitor via HDMI, disable webdrivers and boot High Sierra with only the Vega connected, I didn't test sleep when doing that, but will try do it tomorrow.

On HS, when I am connected to my 1080ti and the vega is in, I can definitely sleep with no issues at all.

Just a heads up for folks: the officially-Apple-supported Sapphire Pulse RX 580 is currently on sale for $240 at Amazon and Newegg!

Just wanted to inform other guys in the same situation, thanks to this RehabMan guide, I've managed to disable my watercooled 1080ti in first pcie slot, and it's now undetected by Mojave, so no need to physically remove it, you can add a second videocard, like my cheap 30€ used HD7850 working OOB, and Mojave will only see this one. I've described my setup in this post, that's a really great option for -naive- people like me who believe in future NVIDIA webdrivers and/or want to keep their more powerful but unsupported Nvidia card for multi boot.
So, my Mojave sleep/wake is now perfectly working, before that, the 1080ti caused black screen at boot or reboot on wake.

R9270.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to inform other guys in the same situation, thanks to this RehabMan guide, I've managed to disable my watercooled 1080ti in first pcie slot, and it's now invisible in Mojave, so no need to physically remove it, you can add a second videocard, like my cheap 30€ used HD7850 working OOB, and Mojave will only see this one. I've described my setup int this post, that's really great option for -naive- people like me who believe in future webdrivers and wants to keep their more powerful but unsupported Nvidia card for dual boot or other reason.
So, my Mojave sleep/wake is now perfectly working, before that, the 1080ti caused black screen at boot or reboot on wake.

R9270.png
Fantastic. I plan to install the Sapphire RX 570 in mine next week. I also have a WC 1080Ti. Did you also have to uninstall the Nvidia Web Drivers?

Nvidia is working with Apple to get Mojave support.

Source: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...for-macos-mojave-10-14-/post/5288647/#5288647

10/18 Update:
Developers using Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting that after upgrading from 10.13 to 10.14 (Mojave) they are experiencing rendering regressions and slow performance.
Apple fully control drivers for Mac OS. But if Apple allows, our engineers are ready and eager to help Apple deliver great drivers for Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave).

Apple's recently released macOS 10.14 (Mojave) does not support CUDA. For CUDA developers who are on macOS 10.13, it is recommended to not upgrade to Mojave. Developers may not be able to use Xcode 10 to build GPU applications or run CUDA applications. Both macOS 10.13.6 and Xcode 9.4 support CUDA and work great with CUDA 10. NVIDIA is working with Apple to get Mojave to support CUDA.

Source: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042279/?comment=5286813

Developers using Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting that after upgrading from 10.13 to 10.14 (Mojave) they are experiencing rendering regressions and slow performance.

Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. But if Apple allows, our engineers are ready and eager to help Apple deliver great drivers for Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave).

Source: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...for-macos-mojave-10-14-/post/5291084/#5291084

Last edited:
Apple's recently released macOS 10.14 (Mojave) does not support CUDA.

That sounds more like 2 different issues, and Nvidia is like trying to make a case to blame Apple as a whole.

Nvidia drivers do exist for the older chips and all built-in Mac OS. So even if the CUDA driver doesn't work due to whatever reason (Metal related?), there's no reason why Nvidia can't make a display Web driver so people can at least use it to display stuff (that's what the card is for primarily, right?).

Seems to me more like Apple removed whatever hook Nvidia used to use for the CUDA driver, and Nvidia now is like we're not releasing anything until Apple fulfill our requirements again, and hoping the users would put pressure on Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back