Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I was alway attracted to the lower TDP of the Nvidia cards. I hadn't used any AMD/ATI cards in a long time and back when I did, those cards ran HOT. VERY, VERY HOT!! All that heat caused premature failures for me.

However, with my current Vega 56, after replacing the stock thermal compound with liquid metal and doing a little tweaking, the heat has been very manageable. I am now able to keep the fan speeds low enough that I can't tell the difference audibly between when my system is asleep or awake when doing simple things like surfing or watching some YouTube. I have been extremely impressed with how well this Vega 56 has been running.
Interesting. I am not noticing any overheating on my dual-fan RX580 so far, but I don’t game, so...

Interesting. I am not noticing any overheating on my dual-fan RX580 so far, but I don’t game, so...
I think he’s referring to older AMD/ATI cards. Historically, they did and they still do run hotter than Nvidia. Nvidia cards have great power consumption to performance ratios which still hold up today. AMD is getting better but they do draw more power per compute power than Nvidia. Power consumption creates more heat there is no way around it so undervolting AMD cards helps. Nvidia just makes more efficient cards but they do have a huge budget compared to AMD.

I think he’s referring to older AMD/ATI cards. Historically, they did and they still do run hotter than Nvidia. Nvidia cards have great power consumption to performance ratios which still hold up today. AMD is getting better but they do draw more power per compute power than Nvidia. Power consumption creates more heat there is no way around it so undervolting AMD cards helps. Nvidia just makes more efficient cards but they do have a huge budget compared to AMD.
Thanks for the input. I agree Nvidia cards cost more than AMD. That’s why it felt like I upgraded for free when I replaced my 1050 ti 4GB for RX580 8 GB.

Thanks for the input. I agree Nvidia cards cost more than AMD. That’s why it felt like I upgraded for free when I replaced my 1050 ti 4GB for RX580 8 GB.

Yes, as Gigamaxx pointed out, I was referring to older AMD/ATI cards.

After having quite a few number of GPUs fail on me due to heat, I became very conscious of TDP. That's why I chose GTX 980 over GTX 980 Ti, GTX 1080 over GTX 1080 Ti, and Vega 56 over Vega 64.

The jumps in TDP on the above models were, in my opinion, too great and I chose the cooler, less power hungry models in every case.

So I'm not sure what's the point of bragging on that either (unless you dual-boot to Windows whenever you game).

I do indeed dual-boot for games, maybe once a week. One of the nice benefits of hackintoshing is that I can just install a second SSD for Windows, instead of having to partition a singe drive with Boot Camp.

I am curious to know what people meant by “inferior”.

Like pastrychef, I am thinking in terms of power consumption. The RX 580 draws more power than the GTX 1060 for roughly the same performance, which irks me. That said, having built-in Apple drivers and better performance for Metal/OpenCL-accelerated stuff like Final Cut and Motion make it tempting.

I do indeed dual-boot for games, maybe once a week. One of the nice benefits of hackintoshing is that I can just install a second SSD for Windows, instead of having to partition a singe drive with Boot Camp.

Like pastrychef, I am thinking in terms of power consumption. The RX 580 draws more power than the GTX 1060 for roughly the same performance, which irks me. That said, having built-in Apple drivers and better performance for Metal/OpenCL-accelerated stuff like Final Cut and Motion make it tempting.

If it's any consolation, it's possible to undervolt reference design Vega cards in macOS. This can reduce power consumption and heat. The reduction in heat ends up also giving increased overclocking potential. By undervolting and overclocking, I greatly improved the performance of my Vega 56. You can see stock results here and undervolted/overclocked results here.

I also used liquid metal to further improve thermals. Info is here.

Hello. Guys, I need advice.
I want to change the GTX 1060 3GB to an AMD Radeon Hd 7970 3 GB.
Does this video card support 10.14.?
And is this a normal exchange?
The video card is as follows:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon...h=item1a41e8d71e:g:mdIAAOSwkRpZnCWu:rk:6:pf:0

I'm not an AMD expert and have never owned an HD 7970. So double check on your own to verify this. According to Fl0r!an there is no need to buy the Mac Version of the 7970 as it works OOB with the regular PC version from a brand like Sapphire. You can buy these on Ebay for 1/2 the price of the Mac versions. So I would avoid the one you've linked to. For that $275 price you could easily buy a new RX580 Pulse by Sapphire. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202278&cm_re=pulse_RX580-_-14-202-278-_-Product

Geekbench 4 scores:
Sapphire Pulse RX580 => 136,001
Sapphire RADEON 7950 Mac Edition => 89,169
RADEON 7970 (overclocked) => 106,493

Screen_Shot_16.jpg

Here's a 7970 on Ebay from a reputable seller for $140

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-A...783?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Make sure you've got a good PSU as these are very power hungry !!
Can consume up to 400W of power or more from the whole system.
Requires two 8 pin power connectors from the PSU.

43137.png

Last edited:
Hello. Guys, I need advice.
I want to change the GTX 1060 3GB to an AMD Radeon Hd 7970 3 GB.
Does this video card support 10.14.?
And is this a normal exchange?
The video card is as follows:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon...h=item1a41e8d71e:g:mdIAAOSwkRpZnCWu:rk:6:pf:0

An RX 580 would be a better performer than that card. Unless your running Yosemite or El Capitan the RX card is better and uses about half the power for higher performance. RX 470-580 cards will work in Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back