Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple supports all RX 470-580 boards but they recommend Sapphire Pulse RX 580.

For a slim board a think MSI makes a RX 560 for single slot use. The XFX RX 460-560 models won’t work they have incompatible vbios.
What's the difference between Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI), 100411P8GOCL. and Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5 DUAL HDMI / DVI-D / DUAL DP OC with Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card Graphic Cards for $60?

Both are the same card. The cheaper one is sold and shipped by Newegg and is the latest promotion from AMD (free game titles for Windows). The second card is sold on the Newegg site by a third party seller and isn't such a good deal for a prospective buyer.

I think the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse is most popular. I don't know if it's necessarily "the best". This is the card I chose when putting together a build for a friend.

I have an MSI RX 560 low profile in my budget testing box. But it's not a single slot card. I think the most powerful single slot card you can get is the Radeon Pro WX 7100. If you need low profile AND single slot, there's the Radeon Pro WX 4100.

After having nothing but positive experiences with Nvidia's cards for a number of years after having some bad experiences on the Wintel side with ATi and later AMD - not to mention the fact that they just worked so much better out of the box (laggy High Sierra drivers not withstanding), I decided to bite the bullet and bought an MSI Aero RX 560 card that I swapped out my GTX 1060 for yesterday. Literally no muss, no fuss when I booted it up for the first time afterward into Mojave and then Win 10. Barring a sudden flip flop from Apple on support for AMD cards, I don't see myself going back to Nvidia anytime soon.

no they dont, BUT at least they give me my screen resolution and my 2nd monitor back ;)
seriously, i just tested it out. as i have installed mojave on a seperate disk to high sierra, im in no rush

If you have IGPU, enable it and use it instead the nvidia. On my case, I switched into my HD 4600 until I can afford a Raedon RX 580 (I'm done with nvidia), and everything works flawlessly (except that I cannot reach a full 4K resolution, but yes hardware acceleration).

If you have IGPU, enable it and use it instead the nvidia. On my case, I switched into my HD 4600 until I can afford a Raedon RX 580 (I'm done with nvidia), and everything works flawlessly (except that I cannot reach a full 4K resolution, but yes hardware acceleration).
thanks for the tip!
but wouldnt that mean, i have to flip the cables to my mainboard anytime i´d like to boot mojave?

thanks for the tip!
but wouldnt that mean, i have to flip the cables to my mainboard anytime i´d like to boot mojave?

Well, probably no. Or yes, depending of your configuration/needs.

When I started with this nvidia-driver issues, I tried plugging in an HDMI cable from the motherboard directly to my monitor and leave the displayPort cable between the nvidia-card and the monitor. The only thing that I needed to do is just switch from source-signal in the monitor. For a time (two days) works fine, but later I decided to remove the graphic card from the computer, because don't have sense to leave it and not use it.

On my case, this hackintosh I use it for development reasons and video edition, so I don't need to have another partition with Windows.

I picked up a Vega 64 and installed successfully. A few notes:

* It's a much bigger card than the 1080, and only just fits in my MicroATX case length-wise (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N05CPU8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) with the current positioning of my fan. Photos attached. Hoping this does not result in temperature issues. Might actually be able to solve easily by moving the fan up.
* I installed Lilu and Whatevergreen as recommended for this card. However, I had 3 kexts installed that conflicted with the latest versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen: IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, and Shiki. This resulted in a bootloop. Removing the 3 deprecated kexts resolved the issue. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-lilu-and-whatevergreen.256602/#post-1782037

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 255
I picked up a Vega 64 and installed successfully. A few notes:

* It's a much bigger card than the 1080, and only just fits in my MicroATX case length-wise (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N05CPU8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) with the current positioning of my fan. Photos attached. Hoping this does not result in temperature issues. Might actually be able to solve easily by moving the fan up.
* I installed Lilu and Whatevergreen as recommended for this card. However, I had 3 kexts installed that conflicted with the latest versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen: IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, and Shiki. This resulted in a bootloop. Removing the 3 deprecated kexts resolved the issue. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-lilu-and-whatevergreen.256602/#post-1782037

Do you have a 750W power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back