Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi there everyone

I hope someone can help me with my gfx fan noise problem! The card is a ASUS GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU Mini and is recognised and supported OOB in both El Capitan and High Sierra.

I have a fairly old I7 sandy bridge setup (asus p8h67-I motherboard), that has been serving me great over the years. I've been kinda stuck on El Capitan because the update process earlier wasn't as smooth as it is now with this legacy chipset, so i figured it was easier to just stay there, and its been fine. But I foresee a future with no security updates for El Capitan, so I would like to update to High Sierra. And i succeeded, thanks to the great tools of this site.

But as soon as I boot into High Sierra, my graphics card turns into a intermittent hairdryer, fans rev up and blows violently for 2 seconds then it pauses for exactly 11 seconds and again blows for 2 seconds and this goes on and on.
As mentioned the card is supported natively in both El Capitan and High Sierra - But in El Capitan, using native drivers, i dont have this problem! But if i install nvidia web driver in El Capitan it acts exactly the same.
The problem is in High Sierra both the natively provided drivers and the nvidia web driver results in this behavior, which makes it really annoying to be near the computer, so making it really uncompelling to upgrade permanently to High Sierra.

At the moment I have a 4 disk setup, so I have a High Sierra installation on another disk, I can log into for testing, to see if I can do anything to make this more tolerable. Writing this from the ElCap OS, since the length of the post requires me to sit here for a while :p

I figure there probably is a kext p-list i could edit to alter this behavior, but I have no idea where to begin.
If I use Kextstat, i see HS load a lot of kexts that seem related to graphics control.
So please if someone could point me in a direction of where i can alter fan control, fan treshold, graphics power management or something like it, with out breaking anything.

THANK YOU

I have the same issue with High Sierra and 1070 Ti.

Hey @jakubik1981
I'm sorry to tell you that I still don't have any solutions for this matter. Actually I ended up building an entirely new hackintosh with a Radeon RX580 since I wanted to upgrade and those were among the GFX card with the least hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back