Contribute
Register

Nvidia 346.03.03f02 crashes FCPX (CoreVideo/CoreImage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody test this with 10.11.4 ?

Well, I've just tried 10.11.4 and 346.03.06f01 on my new Skylake based Hackintosh.

Good news is it doesn't crash when trimming and crossing over a transition. Bad news is it crashes as soon as I apply Color Finale plugin on clips. (it does not with the native drivers)

Some users reported that iMac17,1 SMBIOS (recommended for Skylake machines) causes these issues and setting it to MacPro3,1 fixes them but I'm too lazy to try it right now.

Edit: Just installed the Web drivers on my Macbook Pro with GT750M and same story there, it crashes immediately when I apply Color Finale. So it 's probably not SMBIOS related at all.

So the most stable version to use is "FinalCutProX 10.2.2 with OSX 10.11.3 (15D21) and nvidia web driver 346.03.05f01"?
I have 2 hackintosh, both have the same OS and same parts except one running on gtx 970 another running r280x .
The gtx970 keep crashing when using transition on fcpx while the one running r280x is running normally.

My issue is I also uses adobe product which benefit from the NVIDIA GPU-acceleration. If i were to run osx 10.11.3 I have to reset up everything again -.-;

Just updated to 10.11.5 and wanted to report that 346.03.10f01 driver does not fix the issue with Color Finale plugin.

Just updated to 10.11.5 and wanted to report that 346.03.10f01 driver does not fix the issue with Color Finale plugin.

I too have problem with Color Finale. It just crashes FCP X. I did a couple of experiment.

MSI r9 280x Gaming: Color Finale does not crash FCP X but same sluggish performance after a while in FCP X. Sold this card months ago and jump to 980 Ti.

MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming: Color Finale crashes FCP X and not very stable, however, scrubbing response is fantastic.

EVGA GTX 570 HD, macvidcard flashed: Color Finale does not crash FCP X, scrubbing and playback not as good as 980 Ti. Slow when dealing with 4K video keying onto a static picture with a few graphic logo on top.

Gigabyte r9 280x Windforce: Color Finale does not crash FCP X. However, after using a while, I was not able to boot up anymore into Hackintosh. Tried many settings...card might be toasted...just purchased it less then few hours ago...sob...need to send RMA.

I am back to GTX 570 HD, it works but after using FCP X for sometimes, need to quit and refresh FCP X. If not the scrubbing etc slow down in response.

Possible conclusion: It's an OpenCL problem between Color Finale and FCP X. I might get my 980 Ti flashed and try...this is costing a lot of money...

Hope someone has tried FLASHED Nvida card and report back here.

System info:
Nvidia card using web driver: 346.02.03f01
Smbios: imac (Late 2013)
OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)
FCP X 10.2.3
Color Finale 1.0.23 (107)

Cheers.

UPDATE:
2016 Jun 11: I just got back the MSI GTX 980 Ti Flashed by Macvidcard and quickly replace it from my GTX 570 HD.

I am glad to report that I had no crashes yet pushing 2 clips with Color Finale. Seems to solve the problem of Color Finale crashing FCP X!!! Now I got smooth and responsive timeline and use of Color Finale.

Last edited:
I too have problem with Color Finale. It just crashes FCP X. I did a couple of experiment.

MSI r9 280x Gaming: Color Finale does not crash FCP X but same sluggish performance after a while in FCP X. Sold this card months ago and jump to 980 Ti.

MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming: Color Finale crashes FCP X and not very stable, however, scrubbing response is fantastic.

EVGA GTX 570 HD, macvidcard flashed: Color Finale does not crash FCP X, scrubbing and playback not as good as 980 Ti. Slow when dealing with 4K video keying onto a static picture with a few graphic logo on top.

Gigabyte r9 280x Windforce: Color Finale does not crash FCP X. However, after using a while, I was not able to boot up anymore into Hackintosh. Tried many settings...card might be toasted...just purchased it less then few hours ago...sob...need to send RMA.

I am back to GTX 570 HD, it works but after using FCP X for sometimes, need to quit and refresh FCP X. If not the scrubbing etc slow down in response.

Possible conclusion: It's an OpenCL problem between Color Finale and FCP X. I might get my 980 Ti flashed and try...this is costing a lot of money...

System info:
Nvidia card using web driver: 346.02.03f01
Smbios: imac (Late 2013)
OS X 10.10.5
FCP X 10.2.3

Cheers.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I noticed that you're using fairly outdated Nvidia drivers. Did you try the newer ones? Here's a link to the latest drivers for OSX 10.10.5: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102821/en-us

I don't think flashing the card will fix anything as the problem is not Hackintosh related at all. I'm having the same crashes on my rMBP with 750M as well as my Hackintosh.

Right now the only solution to this problem is to use the native Apple drivers but that only works for older gen cards. So if I want to replace my GTX 780 with a newer card I won't be able to use Color Finale.

Here's what Denver Riddle (creator of Color Finale plugin) says on his website: "If you have an Nvidia graphics card and you've installed driver from Nvidia website switch back to Apple native driver for using Color Finale."

Last edited:
Using a flashed GPU in a Hackintosh is 100% pointless. The Mac EFI part can't be executed by the UEFI of your mainboard, so the GPU will behave like a usual PC card.

Using a flashed GPU in a Hackintosh is 100% pointless. The Mac EFI part can't be executed by the UEFI of your mainboard, so the GPU will behave like a usual PC card.

:O

I actually have 2 real Mac Pro.
MacPro 1,1 (hack to boot 10.11.x but not very stable., no time to experiment with it, have to wait a few months)
and a 5,1 (spolit for 3 years, sad).

Apparently it solve the problem of Color Finale crashing FCP X. Must be a OpenCL issue that is solved with flashing the card.

Old Color Finale applied might still crashes, delete the old apply effects and do the effect again for more stable result. Maybe Color Finale remember each GPU as it applies to each clip.

Last edited:
Nvidia fixed some OpenCL issues in their Web Drivers recently, it's quite likely that this has fixed some Bugs for you.

MVC might have cross-flashed a BIOS from a different GPU on your GTX 980, so this might explain somehow dfferent behavior, but I can guarantee that the actual Mac EFI won't have any positive effect in a Hackintosh whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back