Contribute
Register

no wifi, sound & battery icon after installing mountain lion 10.8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You Rehabman for your reply.

It is the files that doesn't show up inside windows which i wrote inside mac. When i open mac i can see files are still there.

I had formatted my entire hard drive with guid partition table at the time of installing osx with three partitions one with mac osx jouranled & two others with msdos(fat).

Later at the time of installing windows i formatted one of my partition & installed windows which is ntfs. on which i can read only inside mac as you told. It is the third partition that is causing issues which is fat32.

Earlier when i had installed osx with bios ver. F09 i had formatted those partition with same scheme but with exfat & same problem i had faced at that time as well.

Regards.

Don't know. Did you try different file names? (keep it simple, with short file names, no spaces... just as a test). And are you sure they aren't there, but perhaps hidden? Change the Explorer options to look at all files hidden, or otherwise. Or open a command prompt and look with "dir /a". Also check diskmgmt.msc to see that the drive letter you think is assigned to that partition actually is...

Thank you Rehabman for your reply!

I got my problem of files not showing up inside windows solved. I don't know why? I did nothing to solve that. But suddenly i noticed the files are now showing up inside windows.

However (sometimes) when i access some files in my drive D(fat32) inside mac & switch to windows after shutting osx down it starts to repair drive D after startup. It would take about 1 minutes to do that but there is no harm to the data done in my drive D. What can be the reason? I am puzzled. I am afraid if it can corrupt my data in future if the drive doesn't get repaired.

Also i would like to have some words of advice from you on how to use osx & what not to do inside osx besides not using software update so that things doesn't get messed up & i can save the pain of starting it over again.

I have saved myself a rescue unibeast osx 10.8.3 installation usb drive in the case of disaster. What more would you have me to do?

Regards.

Thank you Rehabman for your reply!

I got my problem of files not showing up inside windows solved. I don't know why? I did nothing to solve that. But suddenly i noticed the files are now showing up inside windows.

However (sometimes) when i access some files in my drive D(fat32) inside mac & switch to windows after shutting osx down it starts to repair drive D after startup. It would take about 1 minutes to do that but there is no harm to the data done in my drive D. What can be the reason? I am puzzled. I am afraid if it can corrupt my data in future if the drive doesn't get repaired.

Are you sure you didn't do anything in Windows to the partition map after setting it up initially in OS X. I ask because it sounds like something strange is going on, and editing the partition table in Windows something you should never do with a GPT/MBR hybrid.

Also i would like to have some words of advice from you on how to use osx & what not to do inside osx besides not using software update so that things doesn't get messed up & i can save the pain of starting it over again.

I have saved myself a rescue unibeast osx 10.8.3 installation usb drive in the case of disaster. What more would you have me to do?

Regards.

I think you've got it covered... Oh, Migration Assistant is problematic -- don't use it.

Thank you Rehabman for your reply.

Yes i am sure. I didn't do anything with the partition table or the drive D inside windows except i write & read files into it.

I have no clue what is going on except one thing i have noticed when i right click on drive D & click on format (just to check available options) i can see there is only one option of formatting with NTFS otherwise for a usb drive i get two options ntfs & fat32.

When i check properties of drive D i can see windows recognizes it as fat32 partition.

When i see hidden files inside drive D in windows i can see there are many files/folders all starting with dot(.)
.Spotlight-V100(folder)
.Temporaryitems(folder)
.Trashes(folder)

.Temporaryitems(file)
.Trashes(file)

& one file which i had deleted inside windows is still there but with a preceding dot as above with size lesser than original.

Earlier i used to have ubuntu in dual boot with windows & .Trash also used to be there in my drive D but that was not hidden inside window
but now it is hidden.

Regards.

Thank you Rehabman for your reply.

Yes i am sure. I didn't do anything with the partition table or the drive D inside windows except i write & read files into it.

I have no clue what is going on except one thing i have noticed when i right click on drive D & click on format (just to check available options) i can see there is only one option of formatting with NTFS otherwise for a usb drive i get two options ntfs & fat32.

When i check properties of drive D i can see windows recognizes it as fat32 partition.

When i see hidden files inside drive D in windows i can see there are many files/folders all starting with dot(.)
.Spotlight-V100(folder)
.Temporaryitems(folder)
.Trashes(folder)

.Temporaryitems(file)
.Trashes(file)

& one file which i had deleted inside windows is still there but with a preceding dot as above with size lesser than original.

Earlier i used to have ubuntu in dual boot with windows & .Trash also used to be there in my drive D but that was not hidden inside window
but now it is hidden.

Regards.

I don't have any other ideas for you. I do know that OS X implementation of exFAT is *extremely buggy* and so you have to be careful about what you do on the Mac side of things -- otherwise corruption. Maybe OS X implementation of FAT32 is just as bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back