Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> No USB audio devices after OpenCore Big Sur installation (USB Port Mapping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B365M-DS3H
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've got Bir Sur working at 95%, but neither my StarTech (C-Media - CM6206) USB sound card or my Blue Snowball USB mic are detected. I've got HMDI sound play through my display. I can deal with that if there's no alternative, but I'd like to get my mic working, at least.

Some background: I used OC_Gen-X to create the EFI on the Big Sur installer flash drive. next, I copied the aml files required by my MB to the ACPI folder. Then I used ProperTree's snapshot option to modify the config.plist. On my first attempt, I followed Dortainia's OpenCore Install Guide to tweak the config.plist. This resulted in chaos. On my next attempt, I followed the same procedure except I did not apply any of the modifications recommended by the OpenCore Guide. This worked beautifully -- I've got macOS 11.4 up and running with everything except USB audio.

OpenCore is mysterious to me. The Big Sur EFI folder looks very similar to the previous Catalina EFI.

Attachments

• Big Sur EFI.png
    Big Sur EFI.png
    206 KB · Views: 118
  • Catalina EFI.png
    Catalina EFI.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 101
I've got Bir Sur working at 95%, but neither my StarTech (C-Media - CM6206) USB sound card or my Blue Snowball USB mic are detected. I've got HMDI sound play through my display. I can deal with that if there's no alternative, but I'd like to get my mic working, at least.

Some background: I used OC_Gen-X to create the EFI on the Big Sur installer flash drive. next, I copied the aml files required by my MB to the ACPI folder. Then I used ProperTree's snapshot option to modify the config.plist. On my first attempt, I followed Dortainia's OpenCore Install Guide to tweak the config.plist. This resulted in chaos. On my next attempt, I followed the same procedure except I did not apply any of the modifications recommended by the OpenCore Guide. This worked beautifully -- I've got macOS 11.4 up and running with everything except USB audio.

OpenCore is mysterious to me. The Big Sur EFI folder looks very similar to the previous Catalina EFI.
I think you have two EFI clover, it is not EFI Open core. The best thing to do if you need use Open core is to read dortania guide lot of time, to learn how to do a config.plist setup, gathering files, getting started with ACPI and put it on usb. Test your usb if you are ok, remplace your EFI.

I think you have two EFI clover, it is not EFI Open core. The best thing to do if you need use Open core is to read dortania lot of time, to learn how to do a config.plist setup, gathering files, getting started with ACPI and put it on usb. Test your usb if you are ok, remplace your EFI.
I've done all those things. I couldn't have a Hackintosh booting Big Sur using OpenCore without having done so, could I?

I looking for specific advice, not boilerplate. Thank you, in any case.

msh is somewhat correct, the config.plist is much like the Clover version I was using to boot Catalina. There are however many differences. I decided to copy the EFI folder on my Big Sur installer stick to the startup disk's EFI partition (see image 1). Big Sur appears to boot correctly, but now I have no audio functionality at all.

The Sound Preferences Output panel shows more devices (see image 2), but nothing attached to the USB bus. The Input panel (image 3) shows an internal mic, which doesn't exist, but it fails to show the Blue Snowball mic. Previously the Sound Preferences panels showed only the HDMI output device (my Acer monitor) and nothing else, but the HDMI output worked, which it doesn't now.

I also included the current config.plist.

Attachments

• 1 Current EFI.png
    1 Current EFI.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 2 Sound Output.png
    2 Sound Output.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 3 Sound Input.png
    3 Sound Input.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 125
  • config.plist
    15.1 KB · Views: 71
msh is somewhat correct, the config.plist is much like the Clover version I was using to boot Catalina. There are however many differences. I decided to copy the EFI folder on my Big Sur installer stick to the startup disk's EFI partition (see image 1). Big Sur appears to boot correctly, but now I have no audio functionality at all.

The Sound Preferences Output panel shows more devices (see image 2), but nothing attached to the USB bus. The Input panel (image 3) shows an internal mic, which doesn't exist, but it fails to show the Blue Snowball mic. Previously the Sound Preferences panels showed only the HDMI output device (my Acer monitor) and nothing else, but the HDMI output worked, which it doesn't now.

I also included the current config.plist.

Not sure if this is of any use to you but ...

Big Sur 11.3+ has known issues with OpenCore. Specifically the XhciPortLimit Quirk - which you are using. Basically the USB ports are often no-longer activated.

This problem seems to vary a little dependent on the motherboard and chipset involved. A few say it has been fixed. I've seen no evidence of that.

So, try installing USBInjectAll.kext (version 0.7.7 if possible) and disabling the XhciPortLimit Quirk. With luck this will activate a few of your USB ports. I can't tell you which specifically, because that's down to the motherboard, but give it a whirl?

Not sure if this is of any use to you but ...

Big Sur 11.3+ has known issues with OpenCore. Specifically the XhciPortLimit Quirk - which you are using. Basically the USB ports are often no-longer activated.

This problem seems to vary a little dependent on the motherboard and chipset involved. A few say it has been fixed. I've seen no evidence of that.

So, try installing USBInjectAll.kext (version 0.7.7 if possible) and disabling the XhciPortLimit Quirk. With luck this will activate a few of your USB ports. I can't tell you which specifically, because that's down to the motherboard, but give it a whirl?
I'll give her a whirl... But, I suspect that the USB issue is not entirely applicable. I have external SATA/USB adapter that works and I can read/write to my Big Sur installer flash drive. The SATA/USB adapter is connected to the rear ports and the installer dongle is attached to the front panel USB 3 port. I also have a Bluetooth dongle on a front panel USB 2 port which is working. It sees my BT headphones as "connected" but there's no output/input.

UtterDisbelief is a genius! I applied your fix and all my audio hardware returned to functionality. However, storage devices connected to rear panel USB 2 port have disappeared as has my Big Sur installer in the front panel USB 3. I'll enable the XchiPortLimit quirk.

Done. Now I'm back to 97% working. I have USB audio in and out, and I can read/write a USB storage device. But USB 3 is gone. I've attached the USB 3 device tree. It looks like I can have USB 2 with sound or USB 3 without.

Attachments

• USB Device Tree.png
    USB Device Tree.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Done. Now I'm back to 97% working. I have USB audio in and out, and I can read/write a USB storage device. But USB 3 is gone. I've attached the USB 3 device tree. It looks like I can have USB 2 with sound or USB 3 without.

What you need to do now is properly configure all those USB ports by creating a USBPorts.kext. With USBInjectAll in place you use the Hackintool app to identify and configure each of the ports. Then you export the USBPorts.kext and remove/disable USBInjectAll.

You can do this with CorpNewt's USBMap script instead if you would rather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back