Contribute
Register

New XPS 15 (9560) compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacOS Sierra installer is not recognizing my drive in my 9560. It is unfortunately a LiteOn drive. Any ideas how to get this SSD to be recognized in the installer. Diskutil list also brings up nothing in this regard prior to the installer. BIOS is set to AHCI mode. 9560 i7 4K 512gb 16gb. Thank you in advance for any input.
Unfortunatly you have to go through the whole NVMe-Thing like RehabMan mentions before in post #100.
There are about 3 methods you can choose from (see FAQ). Once you did it you'll be fine I guess.

+ Make sure you took the right SMBIOS vs. Clover version vs. macOS version don't forget to format the target disk.

BTW: I'm surprised you don't have a Toshiba like me and freejack.

Last edited:
My guess is it has nothing to do with DVMT-prealloc.
Well, I definitely didn't had to. After a little research I'm pretty sure that no 9560 user have to.

As per guide/FAQ, you must use an invalid ig-platform-id until you can patch for the pixel clock limitation.
Sweet. Thanks for advice! I took the ig-platform-id-Parameter (0xa2e0008) from @bozma88-Guide about the 9360 and it worked (put into config.plist > Graphics).

Finaly I also switched the Killer-WIFI/BT-Card for a BCM94352z DW1560 (btw: white cable to the left, black to the right connector) and everything works so far.

Surprisingly the VooDooHDA 2.8.9 didn't work for me to set up sound. I switched to 2.8.8 and everything is good (however the dell speakers are ****).

Not working :
- NVIDIA Graphics (expected, maybe later?)
- HDMI (expected)
- USB 3 (Just 35 MB/s read, 20 MB/s write, dafuq?)
- Standby/Sleep on fold (no clue how to solve yet)
- Brightness Keys (no clue how to solve yet)
- Trackpad (is basicly working but crashes randomly, took freejacks reset-patch from post #55)

Untested:
- 5GHz WiFi
- FileVault2

BTW: Alot of people talk about the SMBIOS 13,3 whitch i could not find. Is it recommended to have another go on it?

Many thanks to @RehabMan @bozma88 and @freejack so far.
Let see if we can make it to a golden build a little later on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the "not working" stuff?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 125
Well, I definitely didn't had to. After a little research I'm pretty sure that no 9560 user have to.

Sweet. Thanks for advice! I took the ig-platform-id-Parameter (0xa2e0008) from @bozma88-Guide about the 9360 and it worked (put into config.plist > Graphics).

Finaly I also switched the Killer-WIFI/BT-Card for a BCM94352z DW1560 (btw: white cable to the left, black to the right connector) and everything works so far.

Surprisingly the VooDooHDA 2.8.9 didn't work for me to set up sound. I switched to 2.8.8 and everything is good (however the dell speakers are ****).

Not working :
- NVIDIA Graphics (expected, maybe later?)
- HDMI (expected)
- USB 3 (Just 35 MB/s read, 20 MB/s write, dafuq?)
- Standby/Sleep on fold (no clue how to solve yet)
- Brightness Keys (no clue how to solve yet)
- Trackpad (is basicly working but crashes randomly, took freejacks reset-patch from post #55)

Untested:
- 5GHz WiFi
- FileVault2

BTW: Alot of people talk about the SMBIOS 13,3 whitch i could not find. Is it recommended to have another go on it?

Many thanks to @RehabMan @bozma88 and @freejack so far.
Let see if we can make it to a golden build a little later on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the "not working" stuff?

0xa2e0008 is for Haswell, not Skylake. It is good as an invalid id, but it is more obvious to use 0x12345678.
You will not have working graphics with an invalid ig-platform-id.
You must take care of a few things:
- correct DVMT-prealloc
- patch for the pixel clock limitation
Then you can use a valid ig-platform-id.

USB guide is linked from the FAQ.
Sleep requires correct ACPI patches, power management, etc.
You should read bozma88's guide.

I'm gonna try hacking my XPS 9560 and got few questions. What tutorial would you suggest me doing - there's a reference to xps 13 earlier in this thread, is it best place to start? what to look for to prevent the laptop from getting bricked? I've got a dual boot with Linux and Windows at the moment. Can I wipe Linux and install OSX there, or will I need to wipe entire HD clean? If so, can I use external HD instead?

I'm gonna try hacking my XPS 9560 and got few questions. What tutorial would you suggest me doing - there's a reference to xps 13 earlier in this thread, is it best place to start? what to look for to prevent the laptop from getting bricked? I've got a dual boot with Linux and Windows at the moment. Can I wipe Linux and install OSX there, or will I need to wipe entire HD clean? If so, can I use external HD instead?

Guides forum:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/sierra-laptop-guides.189/

Hi! Well the bozma88-Guide is pretty good and a good base. Unfortunatly it doesnt worked 100% with my 9560 tho. Might be my fault, but I cant joint further hacking untill next wednesday. For e.g my brightness keys and usb3 ist still not working yet. further more Im on 10.12.4 already (=> switch to required SMBIOS and Clover).

If you got my type of 9560, there is no threat of bricking at all, because you don't essentially need to do the DVTM-prealloc and BIOS downgrade with our type of device. I guess its 128 by default.

I think you need to wipe the whole drive so macOS's install routine can arrange a fresh EFI for the system. You split the drive in macOS's install process as u like (e.g. 3 parts, 1 for macOS, 1 for Win and 1 for Linux). After you have installed macOS go for other installs (just like linux) and add there files to the existing EFI macOS's install just deployed. Apparently it doesn't work the other way round 'caus macOS's installer will reject the EFI-bases at this point. So, macOS at first is mandatory.

Ill try to share my experience as you post just here. Maybe I will share my files shortly as well.

Ok, thanks for the pointers. My model is 9560 with 4k screen, 1tb hd, 32gb ram, and the 1050. I assume the components that matter are the same as yours. I think I might give it a go now (especially that the GPU drivers are out for 10 series) but I'm tempted to just wait till Apple releases kaby lake laptops. Did you try the new nVidia drivers? I'd be more tempted to spend some time now if GPU was supported properly.
I run OSX off of VMware atm, but the lack of GPU support makes everything feel choppy (not worth the hassle imo).
So for dualboot, I assume I need to do a bootcamp?

Ah i see. Yeah, we got the same 9560 then. Well I had a try on the nvidia drivers but couldn't make it yet. As I found out you need to manage the decent/primary graphics because macOS cant handle both at the time.

As a start you cant inject a dummy ip-plattform-id like 0x12345678 so u cant walk through the install process.

In case u wanna give the Intel HD 630 a go in the first place, checkout Floris497's mac pixcel clock patcher (V2) and use "patch v3" parameter to void exceptions as you run it. I guess you need to do it for CoreDisplay and NVIDIA.

After that you can inject the kaby lake valid ip-plattform-id 0x19120000 and boot without kp.

Since this worked for me I have kinda working graphics, just without the nvidia gtx 1050.

=> Thanks RehabMan

I run OSX off of VMware atm, but the lack of GPU support makes everything feel choppy (not worth the hassle imo).
So for dualboot, I assume I need to do a bootcamp?

Can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back