Contribute
Register

New USB Raise Port Limit Patch for High Sierra

Hi There

I have a z170x-G3, and port usb3.1 on the rear is working but not 3.0.
I don't have on my config.plist the same Hex values mentioned above.
"Comment: Change 15 port limit to 24 in XHCI kext 10.13 PB1
Find: 837D8C10
Name: AppleUSBXHCIPCI
Replace: 837D8C1B"

I should i do?

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2017-11-05, às 12.37.53.png
    Captura de ecrã 2017-11-05, às 12.37.53.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Captura de ecrã 2017-11-05, às 12.38.03.png
    Captura de ecrã 2017-11-05, às 12.38.03.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Hi,

First off, the main use of this patch is to make all USB ports usable, is it? Are there any potential quirks if I don't have this?
I have the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard which has the following total of USB ports:

ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (Type-A)
Intel® Z170 chipset :
6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z170 chipset :
4 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, black, 2 at mid-board)

Question is, since I am not gonna use all those ports, probably just 1 USB 3.1 port at the back where I am going to connect my 4-port USB 3.0 hub, is it still necessary for me to have this patch or create the SSDT? I could also just disable the USB ports on my BIOS.

Thanks.

Question is, since I am not gonna use all those ports, probably just 1 USB 3.1 port at the back where I am going to connect my 4-port USB 3.0 hub, is it still necessary for me to have this patch or create the SSDT? I could also just disable the USB ports on my BIOS.

It depends on whether your BIOS accurately reflects such disabled ports via ACPI.
And whether you're already using USBInjectAll.kext or not (USBInjectAll overrides ACPI).

It depends on whether your BIOS accurately reflects such disabled ports via ACPI.
And whether you're already using USBInjectAll.kext or not (USBInjectAll overrides ACPI).

So would you recommend to try and disable via BIOS and check whether it reflects in ACPI? With this I can have one less kext or patch on my system which for me is better. But how do I check ACPI?

Or just install this USBInjectAll and be done with it?

So would you recommend to try and disable via BIOS and check whether it reflects in ACPI? With this I can have one less kext or patch on my system which for me is better. But how do I check ACPI?

The recommendations are listed at #1 where it says "Specific Recommendations (200-series)":
Install USBInjectAll.kext, discover what ports work, and exclude the rest using uia_exclude= boot argument. After discovering which ports work and don't work (mapping all XHC ports to physical ports on you computer), include only those that work in a UIAC/RMCF SSDT so you can remove the uia_exclude boot argument.

This way, you don't have to depend on BIOS settings being set a certain way if you determine that the BIOS settings can actually affect the list of ports in macOS. I'm not sure how do to that - Does USBInjectAll need to be uninstalled first, or does one of the boot arguments need to be used so that macOS uses the ACPI information instead of injection information? At least you need to make sure the built-in port injectors aren't used, which should be true if your ACPI device is named XHC.

If you want to see how your BIOS options affect ACPI, remove USBInjectAll.kext, disable the port in BIOS then check which ports are injected by the system by looking at ioreg.

Or customize with USBInjectAll.kext and be done with it.

Noob question:

How is the 15 port limit counted? Is it the exact count of the physical USB ports? What about the USB headers of the motherboard? And USB hubs?
My board has 12 USB ports.

My board's specs:
Intel® Z170 chipset :
Intel® Z170 chipset :

Noob question:

How is the 15 port limit counted? Is it the exact count of the physical USB ports? What about the USB headers of the motherboard? And USB hubs?
My board has 12 USB ports.

My board's specs:
Intel® Z170 chipset :
Intel® Z170 chipset :

Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

Keep in mind a single physical port can use up to three ports on the controller. A USB type C port can use two SSxx and one HSxx, but at least one SSxx, one HSxx (depends on whether it has an internal switch or not). A USB3 port will use one SSxx and one HSxx. A USB2-only port will use a single HSxx.

Back