Contribute
Register

New USB Raise Port Limit Patch for High Sierra

A USB type C port can use two SSxx and one HSxx

Can you show an example or documentation of a USB-C port with two SSxx ports? I know USB-C has enough lanes for that (4 lanes, each SS requires two lanes, one for receive and one for transmit) but I haven't heard of anyone implementing that. Maybe having two SS removes the need for orientation detection circuitry (when you flip the USB-C upside down), so that one way uses SS01 and the other way uses SS02 but you can't use both at the same time. This would only work for USB-C ports that don't support DisplayPort alt mode.

Can you show an example or documentation of a USB-C port with two SSxx ports?

Read the ACPI spec, specifically regarding _UPC.
_UPC=0x0a indicates such a port (no built-in switch for the port, so a different SSxx port is used depending on orientation).

Maybe having two SS removes the need for orientation detection circuitry (when you flip the USB-C upside down),

Yes.

so that one way uses SS01 and the other way uses SS02 but you can't use both at the same time.

Yes.

Read the ACPI spec, specifically regarding _UPC.
_UPC=0x0a indicates such a port (no built-in switch for the port, so a different SSxx port is used depending on orientation).

This reduces the number of SS ports available (might consume a PCIe lane as well) and eliminates the possibility of DisplayPort alt mode. That's two or three reasons a motherboard manufacturer wouldn't use this feature. I wonder if this has actually been used in a PC? It's good to know that it could exist anyway.

This reduces the number of SS ports available (might consume a PCIe lane as well) and eliminates the possibility of DisplayPort alt mode. That's two or three reasons a motherboard manufacturer wouldn't use this feature. I wonder if this has actually been used in a PC? It's good to know that it could exist anyway.

I have seen only one such example. You're right... it is likely to be rare.

Just did clean install of High Sierra on my pc(4690@h97 + gtx970) on apfs and was surprised how well it went - previously usb3 was a nightmare (after 10.12.6 it stoped working no matter what I have tried). Just one step I now do different - instead of installing clover on system after install I just copy EFI from install media(one what unibeast created), modified it(boot to my partition, Nvidia web driver etc) and it works like a charm.

After the update from 10.12.6 to 10.13.2, I have weird mouse stutters sometimes, esp. if heavy graphics is built-up (e.g. tab switch in safari). Really strange. I am using the 24 port limit patch FakePCIID_XHCIMux, FakePCIID and USBInjectAll.kext.

Exactly the same setup worked fine on 10.12.6. What did I miss?

After the update from 10.12.6 to 10.13.2, I have weird mouse stutters sometimes, esp. if heavy graphics is built-up (e.g. tab switch in safari). Really strange. I am using the 24 port limit patch FakePCIID_XHCIMux, FakePCIID and USBInjectAll.kext.

Exactly the same setup worked fine on 10.12.6. What did I miss?

No ideas without problem reporting files.
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

RehabMan, after I did that last time, you refused to help, because my data was too "messed" for you. Also, what should that help? I asked for some spontaneous idea, you or others may have about my problem... I am no noob.

I found out that some 2014 mac models are affected, too (I also use iMac14,2, so similar smbios). This problem is very easy visible if you open anything with uses the JAVA components. E.G. the JAVA system settings (appearing extra panel). Then the mouse will obviously start to stutter.

Found similar reports:
https://intellij-support.jetbrains....-CPU-usage-on-OSX-High-Sierra?page=2#comments

But this stutter also sometimes happen for example if you have many Safari tabs opened, and then close one containing lot of content. The mouse pointer will freeze for some milliseconds then, too!

Steps to reproduce:
1. Use 10.13.2
2. Go to system prefs -> Java
3. Go to tab "extended"
4. Scroll the scrollbar

Or just open any JAVA based app, e.g. Jetbrains Dev tools, Eclipse etc.

EDIT: Ups, offtopic. Created new post then.

RehabMan, after I did that last time, you refused to help, because my data was too "messed" for you.

You might want to work to clean up your setup then.
Your choice.
But I don't think anyone can speculate on the cause of your issue without adequate data.

Hi,

I have a general understanding question: If I disabled USB ports within my bios, do those ports usually disappear, because the bios then would remove the port from ACPI, or is that disabling hardware based? Because I use a custom ACPI, then the bios setting would not have any effect?

Back