Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there, Totally new here but long term member of the Linus Tech Tips forum.
I am in the process of compileing my parts for my new rig. they are as follows:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Cooler: Corsair H110i GT
CPU: Intel i7 5820K (Socket 2011-3 Haswell-E)
Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabretooth
RAM: Corsair Vengance PC-4 21300 (2666mhz) 32gb DDR 4 Quad Channel (Possibly 64gb at end)
GPU: AMD R9 Fury Strix
Boot: Samsung SM951 512GB (NVMe)
Scratch: Samsung 850 Pro - 500gb
Storage: 2x 4TB WD SE drives

I know this may seem like a bit of a strange build to some but the idea is to run a seemless dual boot between Windows 10 pro for gaming and OSX for photography and general computer use.
I know the R9 Fury could prove to be a little bit of a problem but apparently the drivers are very much the same as the R9 390 and 290 series so holding out on a bit of luck to some degree.
Any pointers i would be very greatful for.

Thanks.:)

Welcome to the Forum @ObiWanMonk

I haven't seen anyone get the R9 Fury to work with OS X so you'd be using it exclusively
in Windows. The best fully compatible with OS X card (AMD) is the R9 380 Nitro from
Sapphire. That will give you the best OOBE and OS X performance as well. When you use
Clover you won't have to do anything extra to get it working in OS X. The 5820K has no
integrated graphics so you'll need some graphics card that is compatible just to do the install.
If Apple does ever use the R9 Fury or similar AMD card in a Mac Pro refresh you can always
upgrade to it later on.

Hope that helps.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/171291-radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.html

Thanks for the heads up about the fury.
That reallyis a pain as i was seriusly hopping to use that to run all. Do you think i would benefit from swapping to Nvidia and if so... 980ti?

I edited the AMDRadeonX4000 kext as described by Netkas, adding a device ID of 0x73001002. Pulled my old 7970 card out and installed my new Fury X. My system booted properly using Clover 3726. So far, so good.

Valley Fury X.jpg
System.jpg

I edited the AMDRadeonX4000 kext as described by Netkas, adding a device ID of 0x73001002. Pulled my old 7970 card out and installed my new Fury X. My system booted properly using Clover 3726. So far, so good.

View attachment 212161View attachment 212162

Hi,
I have a i7 4790K with Fury X, and I am planning to do Hackintosh for a while
Does the driver for Fury only got added in Sierra?
And if you don't mind, can you post you clover/multibeast settings?

Many thanks!

The R9 fury works, but has some issues (have to reconnect the screen on every boot, cannot sleep). I suggest you use a more compatible card, preferibly Nvidia because they distribute their own drivers.
The driver is only available on Sierra, but not officially available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back