Contribute
Register

Need a double check on this: Win10/Win8.1 with OSX 10.11 (Clover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i5-4670K
Graphics
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Before I start tinkering with a multiboot setup I need a quick double-check on my approach:

Original setup was Clover 10.11 installed via UEFI. I want to now wipe the drive fresh and reinstall OSX and also add another HDD to boot Win10 or Win8.1. To do this I need to do the following I assume based on previous posts, please correct me if I do wrong somewhere.

- With OSX drive plugged in only, install OSX 10.11 with Clover post-install Legacy mode.
- Disconnect OSX drive plug in Win drive, install Windows, I've never seen UEFI options with installing previously (do I need to look out for something specific)

Once both OSes are installed I change the BIOS boot order to OSX first.
• If I want to boot to Windows: Which is an option for me?
○ Force boot the second hard drive by BIOS hotkey
○ Add an option in Clover bootloader to load Windows

Before I start tinkering with a multiboot setup I need a quick double-check on my approach:

Original setup was Clover 10.11 installed via UEFI. I want to now wipe the drive fresh and reinstall OSX and also add another HDD to boot Win10 or Win8.1. To do this I need to do the following I assume based on previous posts, please correct me if I do wrong somewhere.

- With OSX drive plugged in only, install OSX 10.11 with Clover post-install Legacy mode.
- Disconnect OSX drive plug in Win drive, install Windows, I've never seen UEFI options with installing previously (do I need to look out for something specific)

Once both OSes are installed I change the BIOS boot order to OSX first.
• If I want to boot to Windows: Which is an option for me?
○ Force boot the second hard drive by BIOS hotkey
○ Add an option in Clover bootloader to load Windows

Not really. Your Clover setup with UEFI is just fine. What you need to do is create a USB installer for Windows, and, with only the blank drive you want to use for Windows connected, boot up, hitting the function hotkey that alows you to select a boot device.
Your Windows USB should show twice - once as a USB: Windows installer and once as a UEFI USB: Windows installer. Select the UEFI one and install Windows UEFI.
Install your security suite. Update Windows until there are no more updates available. When that is all done, then shutdown, reconnect the OS X drive, boot to UEFI and set the OS X drive as first in the BBS HDD boot order.

Suggestion - connect the Windows drive to the lowest numbered SATA port on your board - this is usually SATA2_0 on Gigabyte boards. This keeps Windows happy thinking it is the only OS in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back