Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion Success. Dual Boot Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey, today i installed mountain lion onto my new hackintosh.
CPU:Intel i5 3570k 3.4Ghz
MOBO: Gigabyte GA z77-DS3H
RAM: 8 Gb (2x4GB) Kingston hyperx
HDD: 256 samsung ssd
VIDEO: Amd Radeon hd 6850 1gb

Ordered a new Wifi card, because neither of my usb ones worked.
Install was easy, created bootable USB.
Installed
had a few issues,
1. Received white screen during install, did a little research, and found that 6800 series video cards need to be removed during install or else you get a white screen. Removed it, and it installed fine.
2. My ps2 keyboard was not working, and i was stuck at the create account screen with no way to type :p. Used old imac keyboard (usb), and was able to get past.
Then once i ran Multibeast, i installed the support for ps2 keyboards and mice, and now it is working just fine.

My question today, is, can i create a partition using disk utility, and install windows 7 onto it.
If not, then what steps do i need to take in order to install windows 7 on the same hdd. (the 256gb ssd is what im talking about)
Also, i will have windows on a usb drive, i dont know if that changes anything.

You need to install Windows BEFORE install OS X otherwise Windows's bootloader will overwrite Chimera, screwing up your OS X installation. If you have another HDD, just disconnect the Windows one then install OS X on the blank one, and reconnect the Windows one. Don't forget to set the OS X HDD to be the boot drive.

Using 2 HD's is the preferred method. Safest way is to unhook your OSX drive and install windows on the old drive. Of course if it's already got Windoze installed and bootable then just hook them both up, set the OSX drives as first in the bios.

Using 2 HD's is the preferred method. Safest way is to unhook your OSX drive and install windows on the old drive. Of course if it's already got Windoze installed and bootable then just hook them both up, set the OSX drives as first in the bios.

Thanks for the quick response, both of you, i only have that one ssd. Im using a 3tb external for storage. So im trying to get both os on the sad for fast boot times, and then just use exFat on the 3tb so i can access it from both sides.

So your saying i would need to have windows installed. Then, from windows create a partition. Then install mountain lion onto a partition, and then they would somehow dual boot?

If you're going to put both on the same drive then follow gyroknight's post. Additionally, there's an excellent post by GoingBald on the topic. I'll see if I can find it...

If you make a Mountain Lion USB, or UniBeast, however I've had trouble with that, you can use the Disk Utility on the disk to partition your HDD to your specifications. To make a ML USB, you right click your purchased Install OS X Mountain Lion.app and click Show Package Contents Then, under Contents->SharedSupport, there should be a InstallESD.dmg. Restore that to your USB. Or, you could use a SL DVD, either works. :D After getting dual booted, I recommend purchasing MacDrive 8 so that you can see your Mac HDDs in Windows and Windows doesn't have the native ability to read HFS+ volumes.

Another fool proof method to consider is using a USB thumb drive with a boot loader like Chimera. This is what I do.

Another fool proof method to consider is using a USB thumb drive with a boot loader like Chimera. This is what I do.

How would that help dual boot? You could just set the OS X partition to be the active one and have it boot Chimera from the HDD, why would you need a separate USB? I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't see how the USB idea would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back