Contribute
Register

Mojave Update - Panic on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Again, I really appreciate your diligence in helping me. I’ll go through everything. I just really don’t understand why my system is so messed up while using Multibeast and everything else to get it running. And I’m surprised to hear the “working disk” isn’t correct either. Especially since it boots. But I will do the work.

• I said the CLOVER from both uploaded files are identical . I cannot say what is the source of those 2 files.

• You had included a System Report after what you described
    I forgot to attach it in the last post, maybe it will help, but when I boot the working disk, I keep getting the message saying my Mac restarted due to an error and it generated a system report
    • That was a Kernel Panic from your Ethernet kext. You did not tell me when exactly the Kernel Panic occurred. I took 'when booting' to mean while booting.
    • Be that as it may, still that is a defective System disk that needs a fix.It did not have Ethernet kext in it Other Folder.

Wel cmn, you are my new best friend. I made all of those changes you described and I was able to boot the old disk with all of my personal data. I did noticed while researching that Apple stopped supporting some Wifi cards and I believe mine is one of them as its showing no Wifi hardware available.

Is there anything else you recommend to change in my clover as far as kexts or anything else to optimize my machine?

I can't say it enough. Thank you for your patience and help. I was a little discouraged as I have come to forums before and hadn't received the help I needed. But you have changed my perspective. Thank you.

• I said the CLOVER from both uploaded files are identical . I cannot say what is the source of those 2 files.
  • You had included a System Report after what you described
    • That was a Kernel Panic from your Ethernet kext. You did not tell me when exactly the Kernel Panic occurred. I took 'when booting' to mean while booting.
    • Be that as it may, still that is a defective System disk that needs a fix.It did not have Ethernet kext in it Other Folder.

• A quick look of uploaded files show a lot of problems that would prevent the disk from successful boot.
  • The so called Good disk was not a Good disk. As you stated it had encountered problems and had panicked; restarted as you said.
    • The uploaded error report shows it was a Kernel Panic related to your Apple Intel Ethernet card. (See image)
  • Looking at your CLOVER from both "Working" and "Non-working" disks they have identical Folder_File structure and contents
  • The drivers64UEFI contents look OK
    • Contents lack needed kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other
      • You also have the empty numbered kexts (10.6 to 10.14) that serve no useful purpose and belong to the Trash.
      • Trashing Empty folders can make looking for needed things a lot easier during diagnostic check and editing.
    • Kexts/Other has only one kext: FakeSMC and that is the latest
    • The bad news : other needed kexts are missing: like USB support and Graphics support kexts: (The Latest: USBInjectAll.kext|Lilu.kext|WhateverGreen.kext and your IntelMausi Ethernet.kext)
  • config.plist: lacks significantly and can cause problem :
  • The kexts you want for the Clover to load during boot for the system to reach its destination, are not real Mac kexts but Hackintosh kexts.
  • To load modified kexts, you have to DISABLE System Integrity Protection [SIP] Apple Enables by default to prevent "foreign kexts" from entering.
  • In your CLOVER/config.plist SIP is NOT Disabled.
    • CsrActiveConfig=0x30 ; not the needed 0x67
  • If Clover cannot load needed kexts (because "Other" folder lacking them or prevented because of SIP ENABLED) during boot-->Kernel Panic
You have to check all your config.plist SECTIONS to make sure the Disk will boot and then save the edited config.plist for it to serve you well during boot.

I am uploading just a few of several screen shots I have made with your upload. Time constrains limit me from uploading all edited images to help you. You need to check them well.

I fixed my Wifi card issue. So I have working Wifi and so far everything seems to be working flawlessly with my Mojave boot.

Now, I also run a dual boot system with Windows 10. When I try to boot to Windows with Clover, all I get is a blinking cursor and no boot into Windows.

I also have about 10 different boot options in Clover with all of my disks being connected. How can I remove the extra boot options while leaving the options for Mojave and Windows 10?

Wel cmn, you are my new best friend. I made all of those changes you described and I was able to boot the old disk with all of my personal data. I did noticed while researching that Apple stopped supporting some Wifi cards and I believe mine is one of them as its showing no Wifi hardware available.

Is there anything else you recommend to change in my clover as far as kexts or anything else to optimize my machine?

I can't say it enough. Thank you for your patience and help. I was a little discouraged as I have come to forums before and hadn't received the help I needed. But you have changed my perspective. Thank you.

• Glad you have made progress and you were able to regain control of your Mojave System Disk that had become unbootable.
Before I forget to mention, let me state that this Forum has the very best Moderators with great fund of knowledge and expertise.

Most of the time, those who post for help to the Forums, provide very little information including the basic minimum hardware in their Personal Details or Build Signature as per the Forum rules , the screen photo of verbose boot error they had seen, steps they have done, and the BIOS options chosen. Many go on insisting they had followed verbatim the "GUIDE" without even mentioning the exact Guide!

The Moderators have to constantly get involved in these house keeping chores in addition to providing tips to solve the problem presented.

• What WiFI are you having trouble using?
  • Your MoBO has no built-in Wifi.
If you can tell me your current post install problems and upload the new CLOVER in the EFI of the System disk and upload to the Forum, Screen capture images of "Apple>About This Mac>Over View " and System Report...>Hardware and the alphabetized items listed from "Audio" to WiFi , I will try to support.

To get Screen Capture in Hackintosh ( you may know but for those who may read this and learn for the first time) :

• Bring the screen in view.
  • Press Windows +Shift+4 (it is NOT F4 key) keys together and then release to get a "Crosshair" Mouse Cursor to outline the area of interest in a rectangle.
  • Press Left Mouse button and drag the Crosshair from left upper corner to the Right lower corner of the screen in view to enclose the rectangle to capture and release when right lower corner is reached..
  • The image will be automatically dropped on the Desktop
  • Open it with Preview and use Preview Tools to edit with shapes, lines, arrows, texts etc and upload to Forum as PNG file.

• One tip to insure against loss of System from disk failure: Clone it to another disk of equal our bigger size even a cheap SATA Spin Disk.
  • Save your Installer USB ; even make a clone using Disk Utility as added insurance against failure of Flash Disk.

• My favorite Software for cloning is Clonezilla -a Donationware.
  • If interested check->#2

I fixed my Wifi card issue. So I have working Wifi and so far everything seems to be working flawlessly with my Mojave boot.

Now, I also run a dual boot system with Windows 10. When I try to boot to Windows with Clover, all I get is a blinking cursor and no boot into Windows.

I also have about 10 different boot options in Clover with all of my disks being connected. How can I remove the extra boot options while leaving the options for Mojave and Windows 10?
I just saw this after I responded to your earlier thread.
  • If you upload your EFI, I can diagnose why your CLOVER does not want to take your Windows 10 along. I guess you have Windows 10 from a Separate Disk and Windows 10 is also in UEFI mode.
  • Upload your BIOS Boot Option Priorities List Screen
  • Also upload EFI from Windows disk as Zipped.
  • You can view and compress both EFIs from Hackintosh Desktop using Clover Configurator Global (CCG).

Last edited:
I took a screenshot of my list of EFIs in Clover Configurator. It isn't giving me the option to mount an EFI for Windows or my main drive now. "Samsung OSX" is the name of my primary drive and it its listed in the partitions menu however the EFI mount isn't showing up.

I also uploaded a couple screen shots of a weird bug happening to my graphics. Take notice of the distortion in the shots. Seems to only happen in finder and to icons on the desktop.

When I open the disk of my Windows drive through finder, it shows a folder labeled "EFI". Not sure if that is the same as mounting the EFI through Clover Configurator but I attached it anyways.

I just saw this after I responded to your earlier thread.
  • If you upload your EFI, I can diagnose why your CLOVER does not want to take your Windows 10 along. I guess you have Windows 10 from a Separate Disk and Windows 10 is also in UEFI mode.
  • Upload your BIOS Boot Option Priorities List Screen
  • Also upload EFI from Windows disk as Zipped.
  • You can view and compress both EFIs from Hackintosh Desktop using Clover Configurator Global (CCG).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 8.52.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 8.52.08 PM.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Graphics issue.jpg
    Graphics issue.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Windows EFI.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 65
  • Clover Config Shot.jpg
    Clover Config Shot.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 93
I took a screenshot of my list of EFIs in Clover Configurator. It isn't giving me the option to mount an EFI for Windows or my main drive now. "Samsung OSX" is the name of my primary drive and it its listed in the partitions menu however the EFI mount isn't showing up.

I also uploaded a couple screen shots of a weird bug happening to my graphics. Take notice of the distortion in the shots. Seems to only happen in finder and to icons on the desktop.

When I open the disk of my Windows drive through finder, it shows a folder labeled "EFI". Not sure if that is the same as mounting the EFI through Clover Configurator but I attached it anyways.
  • Your uploaded images are not clear and not in full view to figure out which is which.
  • I have edited and uploaded one "Finder --> Locations" image along with one from my system for comparison.
  • One obvious reason for you to have difficulty identifying your System disks , is from not giving a clearly identifiable unique name to your Windows 10 disk.
  • One question you have overlooked to answer from earlier post is the Boot mode of Your Windows 10, Is your Windows 10 in Legacy or UEFI Mode?
    • How to check if Windows 10 is UEFI from Windows 10?
      • Press Win + R > type msinfo32 and press Enter.
      • Look for the BIOS Mode entry.
      • If the value listed is Legacy, then the Boot Environment is BIOS, otherwise UEFI Mode will appear there. See my UEFI in MSINFO32 in Run in the image.
  • To easily identify your disks in CCG Mount EFI screen, Label your disk with an easily recognizable name including hard disk model info.
  • Example:in Windows 10, rename Local disk C: as Windows 10 ST 3500630NS (my Seagate 500GB SATA Spindisk with Windows 10)(See image)

Attachments

• MSinfo32_UEFI Mode.PNG
    MSinfo32_UEFI Mode.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 65
  • MSINFO32.PNG
    MSINFO32.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.BSB.png
    1.BSB.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.cmn699 multi-disk multi-boot.png
    2.cmn699 multi-disk multi-boot.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
The images that were uploaded that were not clear were to show you the issue I am having with my graphics. It's very distorted at times. Not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.

I believe, back when I built this system, I did label the windows disk however for some reason, OSX sees it as "Untitled". I'm guessing my Windows drive is Legacy because I cannot even boot it from the BIOS like I used to before we made the BIOS changes. So as of right now, I cannot boot into Windows to check the status like you explained.

If you'll notice in the picture I uploaded of the Clover Configurator, at the bottom of the top section where all the disks are shown, you'll see a drive named "Samsung OSX". That is my main boot drive for OSX, however in the bottom section where the EFIs are listed you'll notice there is no EFI associated with "Samsung OSX". Am I missing something here?

• Your uploaded images are not clear and not in full view to figure out which is which.
  • I have edited and uploaded one "Finder --> Locations" image along with one from my system for comparison.
  • One obvious reason for you to have difficulty identifying your System disks , is from not giving a clearly identifiable unique name to your Windows 10 disk.
  • One question you have overlooked to answer from earlier post is the Boot mode of Your Windows 10, Is your Windows 10 in Legacy or UEFI Mode?
    • How to check if Windows 10 is UEFI from Windows 10?
      • Press Win + R > type msinfo32 and press Enter.
      • Look for the BIOS Mode entry.
      • If the value listed is Legacy, then the Boot Environment is BIOS, otherwise UEFI Mode will appear there. See my UEFI in MSINFO32 in Run in the image.
  • To easily identify your disks in CCG Mount EFI screen, Label your disk with an easily recognizable name including hard disk model info.
  • Example:in Windows 10, rename Local disk C: as Windows 10 ST 3500630NS (my Seagate 500GB SATA Spindisk with Windows 10)(See image)

The images that were uploaded that were not clear were to show you the issue I am having with my graphics. It's very distorted at times. Not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.

I believe, back when I built this system, I did label the windows disk however for some reason, OSX sees it as "Untitled". I'm guessing my Windows drive is Legacy because I cannot even boot it from the BIOS like I used to before we made the BIOS changes. So as of right now, I cannot boot into Windows to check the status like you explained.

If you'll notice in the picture I uploaded of the Clover Configurator, at the bottom of the top section where all the disks are shown, you'll see a drive named "Samsung OSX". That is my main boot drive for OSX, however in the bottom section where the EFIs are listed you'll notice there is no EFI associated with "Samsung OSX". Am I missing something here?
I believe, back when I built this system, I did label the windows disk however for some reason, OSX sees it as "Untitled".
Whatever name you give in the disk properties of Windows is what CCG will be displaying. If there is no Unique name given to the Disk, Windows will call it "Local disk C:" ; then CCG will call it "Untitled"
I'm guessing my Windows drive is Legacy because I cannot even boot it from the BIOS like I used to before we made the BIOS changes.
If you have used Windows DVD , it routinely tries to steer you toward choosing a Legacy Mode installation. If you had made a Windows 10 USB Installer, you have a better chance to create a UEFI Boot disk that will create a UEFI Windows installation.

• In the BIOS Boot Option Priorities , list you can see your OS disks (including USB Installer disk if inserted) .
  • Any disk that has a UEFI boot mode will have UEFI prefixed to DiskID (See BIOS screen images) Legacy Mode disk won't show UEFI prefix

• Your CCG screen shots are not in full view (part of it cutoff) for me to say definitively much. You have visual memory of what you saw going through both the upper and lower part of the divided Right panel of CCG window. Unfortunately you cannot maximize the screen to show all disk partitions and EFI in one view.
    • If your Windows is in Legacy Mode , you cannot see it in CBM screen which is created by the MacOS with Clover in UEFI mode.
  • You can check BIOS to see if your Windows disk has UEFI as a prefix.
  • You can also disconnect the Hackintosh disk, Reboot> Find your BIOS screens Take Photos to document how it is set up.
  • Boot to Windows> then Open MSINFO32 and you will find it to be in Legacy mode.
    • Starting in Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063, you can use the MBR2GPT.EXE command line tool to convert a disk from Master Boot Record (MBR) (used in Legacy BIOS) to GUID Partition Table (GPT)(used in UEFI) without having to clean install Windows 10 or modifying or deleting data on the disk. The tool is designed to be run from a Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) command prompt, but can also be run from the full Windows 10 operating system (OS).
    • If your PC or motherboard supports UEFI, then you could use the MBR2GPT tool to switch from a Legacy BIOS to UEFI Windows 10 installation without data loss.
I am having with my graphics. It's very distorted at times. Not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.
Upload your CLOVER from the System Disk

Attachments

• 1.BIOS_System ATA Port Information.png
    1.BIOS_System ATA Port Information.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.Boot Option Pririties UEFI disks .png
    2.Boot Option Pririties UEFI disks .png
    235.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 3.First Boot Device Boot Option Priorities.png
    3.First Boot Device Boot Option Priorities.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 156
Attached are the BIOS screenshots and my current CLOVER. Judging by myself not being able to see the Windows disk in Clover Configurator, I'm going to assume its Legacy. I'm currently going to follow your steps to convert it to UEFI.

Whatever name you give in the disk properties of Windows is what CCG will be displaying. If there is no Unique name given to the Disk, Windows will call it "Local disk C:" ; then CCG will call it "Untitled"

If you have used Windows DVD , it routinely tries to steer you toward choosing a Legacy Mode installation. If you had made a Windows 10 USB Installer, you have a better chance to create a UEFI Boot disk that will create a UEFI Windows installation.

• In the BIOS Boot Option Priorities , list you can see your OS disks (including USB Installer disk if inserted) .
  • Any disk that has a UEFI boot mode will have UEFI prefixed to DiskID (See BIOS screen images) Legacy Mode disk won't show UEFI prefix

• Your CCG screen shots are not in full view (part of it cutoff) for me to say definitively much. You have visual memory of what you saw going through both the upper and lower part of the divided Right panel of CCG window. Unfortunately you cannot maximize the screen to show all disk partitions and EFI in one view.
    • If your Windows is in Legacy Mode , you cannot see it in CBM screen which is created by the MacOS with Clover in UEFI mode.
  • You can check BIOS to see if your Windows disk has UEFI as a prefix.
  • You can also disconnect the Hackintosh disk, Reboot> Find your BIOS screens Take Photos to document how it is set up.
  • Boot to Windows> then Open MSINFO32 and you will find it to be in Legacy mode.
    • Starting in Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063, you can use the MBR2GPT.EXE command line tool to convert a disk from Master Boot Record (MBR) (used in Legacy BIOS) to GUID Partition Table (GPT)(used in UEFI) without having to clean install Windows 10 or modifying or deleting data on the disk. The tool is designed to be run from a Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) command prompt, but can also be run from the full Windows 10 operating system (OS).
    • If your PC or motherboard supports UEFI, then you could use the MBR2GPT tool to switch from a Legacy BIOS to UEFI Windows 10 installation without data loss.

Upload your CLOVER from the System Disk

Attachments

• Boot Option 1.png
    Boot Option 1.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 64
  • ATA Port Info.png
    ATA Port Info.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Boot Options.png
    Boot Options.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Current CLOVER.zip