Contribute
Register

Mojave Update - Panic on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a guide I can follow to do this? I know where to download the latest FakeSMC but not sure where to put it and how to establish a good config.

It is normal not random behaviour (documented or not).
The issues that you should concern yourself with are :
Creating a valid config.plist that will boot your system.
Updating FakeSMC.kext to a more current version.

Is there a guide I can follow to do this?
Use the forum Search tool.

I know where to download the latest FakeSMC but not sure where to put it
Huh ?
Your current one is out of date so obviously you put the new one where the old one is (after deleting the old one).
Once you are able to boot you should also replace the one in /Library/Extensions using KextBeast or similar kext installation tool.

how to establish a good config.
Clover Configurator may be used to aid you in creating a config.plist file.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have a system that was originally running I believe Sierra. (Can’t remember for sure). I decided to upgrade to Mojave. I made a USB per the guide to upgrade the machine. After running the upgrade off of the USB, the system is getting the kernel panic and restarting.

After trying multiple different boots with Clover and trying to reinstall. Still no luck. I then decided I’d try doing a fresh Mojave install onto a new SSD and then just do a data migration from the original SSD to recover all my personal data.

The fresh Mojave install worked as did the data migration. However, when I went to restart the new install with all my personal data, I started getting the same panic as I had on the old system.

Stand by and I’ll get the info you want to see.

• Thank you for uploading the requested data.
  • I will try to analyze them and upload edited/annotated images to show identified problems and possible initial steps to get out of the problem you are now.
    • Don't expect a quick fix , a magic bullet, because of multiple problems noted with the uploaded files when I did a quick eyeballing of them all.

• Your initial one-liner post , if I may say so, was not very inviting. When I saw that I thought the poster was not very serious in asking for help for a problem through a Forum! The readers have to get a lot of background information to gauge the context of such a grave error screen.
    • You have made up for that with the current thread and the uploaded images and file. I am sure you will get the help you need; but you have to do your share to solve the issue.
  • Is the CLOVER from the Installer USB or from the System SSD?
  • If it is from the System SSD , how did you get it from the EFI of that SSD?

Noted!

It's very difficult for me to identify where exactly the clover folder came from as there were multiple EFI partitions to mount with not good way to identify which was the correct one.

I have a fresh drive with a working version of Mojave but does not have any personal data. I boot with that drive, downloaded EFI mounter and searched through the old drive to gather the Clover folder.

• Thank you for uploading the requested data.
  • I will try to analyze them and upload edited/annotated images to show identified problems and possible initial steps to get out of the problem you are now.
    • Don't expect a quick fix , a magic bullet, because of multiple problems noted with the uploaded files when I did a quick eyeballing of them all.
  • Your initial one-liner post , if I may say so, was not very inviting. When I saw that I thought the poster was not very serious in asking for help for a problem through a Forum! The readers have to get a lot of background information to gauge the context of such a grave error screen.
    • You have made up for that with the current thread and the uploaded images and file. I am sure you will get the help you need; but you have to do your share to solve the issue.
  • Is the CLOVER from the Installer USB or from the System SSD?
  • If it is from the System SSD , how did you get it from the EFI of that SSD?

Noted!

It's very difficult for me to identify where exactly the clover folder came from as there were multiple EFI partitions to mount with not good way to identify which was the correct one.

I have a fresh drive with a working version of Mojave but does not have any personal data. I boot with that drive, downloaded EFI mounter and searched through the old drive to gather the Clover folder.

• I am uploading now your BIOS screen shots.
    • Your BIOS Firmware Version is quite old.
      • There have been 2 non-beta and 2 Beta versions of BIOS released since then according to Gigabyte Webpage. Keep this in the back of your mind when trying to install the latest MacOS like Mojave that needs all the help it can get in Hackintosh for a smooth ride.
    • Your profile shows you are using Nvidia GTX 660 as your PCIE Graphics . But your BIOS peripherals does not show you choosing PCIE (PEG) as Initial Display and your IGFX is set as Auto with minimum required DVMT Pre -allocated Memory. This can cause problem if you are choosing Nvidia as your Graphics.
    • Your Intel HD 4000 will work in Mojave provided you have the right ig-p-id and InjectIntel in config.plist.
    • Your Power Management choices are not very good. They can cause Shut down and Reboot issues in macOS something you have not mentioned and I hope you did not have when it was running OK.
  • I will go through CLOVER similarly.
  • But if you are NOT SURE the source of your CLOVER, it's like you are on an air plane with a Pilot with unknown qualification and experience to fly that machine. Clover is the Bootloader. It takes the Hackintosh disk (Installer or System disk) to its destination, provided it has everything needed in its various folders and the config.plist, (like the Pilot's check list to fly an aircraft), has everything filled properly to make use of CLOVER contents to work with the Disk and the BIOS options chosen. If BIOS or CLOVER has problem, boot crash/failure is the result.
  • If you have a new new USB installer that can reach its destination , the Utility Screen, it has a GOOD CLOVER.
  • That CLOVER can be put inside the EFI of a Non-booting System Disk in that PC to boot like the USB installer does.
Wait for your Clover screen shots next. But in the mean time, if you want, you can transplant the Good CLOVER to Save the moribund System disk from crash. But make changes to BIOS to help its booting smoother.

Attachments

• 1.BIOS Version.png
    1.BIOS Version.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.BIOS Features and Boot Option Priorities.png
    2.BIOS Features and Boot Option Priorities.png
    329.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.Peripherals.png
    3.Peripherals.png
    422 KB · Views: 144
  • 4.Power Management.png
    4.Power Management.png
    320.8 KB · Views: 144
Noted!

• As P1LGRIM said Clover Configurator Clover Configurator (Global Edition) is a good tool to Mount EFI and also to edit various things in CLOVER including the config.plist.
  • If you are using EFI Mounter V3, before launching that , if you launch the terminal with the command> diskutil list, it will list all your disks and you can figure out from its output, which disk is which .
  • I understand the confusing list EFI Mounter puts to make guessing game the way to decide in case of Multiple disks in the Computer.
  • This leads to the rule of thumb I used to follow years ago when new to Hackintosh.
    • Strip the system off of all unneeded Disks (SATA and USB) leaving the USB Installer and the target HDD until you have a flawless OS X.
      • This avoids clutter and confusion in CBM screen, Disk Utility screen and in EFI Mounting.

First, I really appreciate your help and dedication to helping me get back up and running. Please bare with me. I will attempt everything you’ve listed on Friday. I work as a firefighter and I am on duty for 24 hours tomorrow.

I agree with stripping the disks. I have already done that as I’ve had better success in the past with installing OSX that way. I run a dual boot system along with a couple other storage drives so I disconnected all of those. It seems to me that if a person doesn’t stay constantly up to date with all the latest tech, you can really become lost here. Which I have become.

So just to be clear, to start, I can take the clover boot files from the USB and move them to the bad drive’s EFI folder after it’s been mounted? And adjust the BIOS settings per your pictures.

• As P1LGRIM said Clover Configurator Clover Configurator (Global Edition) is a good tool to Mount EFI and also to edit various things in CLOVER including the config.plist.
  • If you are using EFI Mounter V3, before launching that , if you launch the terminal with the command> diskutil list, it will list all your disks and you can figure out from its output, which disk is which .
  • I understand the confusing list EFI Mounter puts to make guessing game the way to decide in case of Multiple disks in the Computer.
  • This leads to the rule of thumb I used to follow years ago when new to Hackintosh.
    • Strip the system off of all unneeded Disks (SATA and USB) leaving the USB Installer and the target HDD until you have a flawless OS X.
      • This avoids clutter and confusion in CBM screen, Disk Utility screen and in EFI Mounting.

FYI, I just went to Gigabytes website and the most recent BIOS version I found was F16j dated 11/14/2017.

I reflashed the BIOS and F16j is now active.

I also just noticed you asked about my monitor. I connect it via HDMI. Not sure about your exact question.

EDIT: Also noticed I have the wrong MB in my profile. That was an old one I put into a different system. My current is the Z77X-UD5H. Making the corrections now.

• I am uploading now your BIOS screen shots.
    • Your BIOS Firmware Version is quite old.
      • There have been 2 non-beta and 2 Beta versions of BIOS released since then according to Gigabyte Webpage. Keep this in the back of your mind when trying to install the latest MacOS like Mojave that needs all the help it can get in Hackintosh for a smooth ride.
    • Your profile shows you are using Nvidia GTX 660 as your PCIE Graphics . But your BIOS peripherals does not show you choosing PCIE (PEG) as Initial Display and your IGFX is set as Auto with minimum required DVMT Pre -allocated Memory. This can cause problem if you are choosing Nvidia as your Graphics.
    • Your Intel HD 4000 will work in Mojave provided you have the right ig-p-id and InjectIntel in config.plist.
    • Your Power Management choices are not very good. They can cause Shut down and Reboot issues in macOS something you have not mentioned and I hope you did not have when it was running OK.
  • I will go through CLOVER similarly.
  • But if you are NOT SURE the source of your CLOVER, it's like you are on an air plane with a Pilot with unknown qualification and experience to fly that machine. Clover is the Bootloader. It takes the Hackintosh disk (Installer or System disk) to its destination, provided it has everything needed in its various folders and the config.plist, (like the Pilot's check list to fly an aircraft), has everything filled properly to make use of CLOVER contents to work with the Disk and the BIOS options chosen. If BIOS or CLOVER has problem, boot crash/failure is the result.
  • If you have a new new USB installer that can reach its destination , the Utility Screen, it has a GOOD CLOVER.
  • That CLOVER can be put inside the EFI of a Non-booting System Disk in that PC to boot like the USB installer does.
Wait for your Clover screen shots next. But in the mean time, if you want, you can transplant the Good CLOVER to Save the moribund System disk from crash. But make changes to BIOS to help its booting smoother.

Attachments

• 6EA7248B-64C6-4076-B3BD-945690F9D820.jpeg
    6EA7248B-64C6-4076-B3BD-945690F9D820.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
First, I really appreciate your help and dedication to helping me get back up and running. Please bare with me. I will attempt everything you’ve listed on Friday. I work as a firefighter and I am on duty for 24 hours tomorrow.

I agree with stripping the disks. I have already done that as I’ve had better success in the past with installing OSX that way. I run a dual boot system along with a couple other storage drives so I disconnected all of those. It seems to me that if a person doesn’t stay constantly up to date with all the latest tech, you can really become lost here. Which I have become.

So just to be clear, to start, I can take the clover boot files from the USB and move them to the bad drive’s EFI folder after it’s been mounted? And adjust the BIOS settings per your pictures.
  • Thank you for your service in real life.
  • Yes the CLOVER in the Installer disk that created the System disk before you altered it with other software is a Good CLOVER. It has at least the minimum required things (vanilla) to run your system disk from BIOS screen to Login Screen.
  • Mount the EFI of your USB installer and copy its EFI Folder (BLUE) that contains all the folders, sub folders and config.plist file) needed for booting and paste it desktop temporarily.
  • Next open the EFI partition of SystemDisk mounted on the desktop and Delete (sendTrash) its Blue EFI folder.
  • Now just copy the USB's EFI folder from Desktop to replace the deleted EFI folder of System disk.
  • Surgery is completed and System Disk is ready.
  • Make a final check of each folder inside the transplanted EFI of System Disk and its config.plist to see it matches to Donor's CLOVER in all respects.
  • Use Clover Configurator to do the Final Check of config.plist SECTION screen from ACPI to System Parameters (see uploaded image)
  • If you want you can upload them here for a second opinion.

Attachments

• 1.config.plist edit in CCG.png
    1.config.plist edit in CCG.png
    460 KB · Views: 79
Attached is the diskutil list:

If you’ll note the different drives:

Mojave Large = The new clean install
Samsung OSX = Original system drive with all personal data (problem drive)

So I see one is external (disk4s1). So that would be my USB. My question is which EFI is associated with my problem drive (Samsung OSX)?

Attachments

• 861DE76E-BE00-4145-A91F-C6F83E8CC4E9.jpeg
    861DE76E-BE00-4145-A91F-C6F83E8CC4E9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back