Contribute
Register

Mojave Update - Panic on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to deleted all the kexts out of the original drive that might be causing the panic and place only the bare basics in there? What ones would I need? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. It’s been awhile since I’ve played with all of this since I got my system up and running originally.

Is
I was trying to understand your previous post that says
So I was able to get a working Mojave on a fresh new SSD. I did this because when I went to upgrade my original SSD I got the same issue I’m having now.
With the new SSD working I did a data Migration to recover all of my files off the old SSD however when I went to reboot. This same issue is occurring. So theres something in the old SSD that’s causing the panic. If I’m able to narrow it down, I can access the old drive and delete whatever it is. If it’s that simple...

You had a Mojave system working well on an SSD that had your personal data.
For reasons unclear to you, it started getting Kernel panic on boot
You then built a new system with a brand new SSD. It was working OK
You migrated your personal data to the working computer with Mojave on a new SSD.
After this the new System SSD also started to go on KP on boot; as shown in the paused video frames uploaded to #5

Data migration is unlikely to be the cause of KP like that.

With this information, I would want to see the CLOVER folder in the disk and your BIOS options for clues.

Only way to get CLOVER from the disk easier is to connect the disk to another Mac or Hack with a USB to SATA adapter if needed and then launch an EFI Mounter to view the EFI partition of the ailing SSD and open EFI>EFI>CLOVER>Compress as zip>Forum upload.

The other way is more complicated but doable through Windows. Check this->#3

To get BIOS Screen shots in Gigabyte is easy.

Go to BIOS with a FAT Formatted USB Flash disk or even your USB installer disk that has an EFI partition with FAT and 210MB size with only a small portion used for CLOVER with plenty of free space for 10-14 Screen capture images (BMP file) taken with F-12 key in BIOS . You can view the images and edit them to png for Forum upload.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have a system that was originally running I believe Sierra. (Can’t remember for sure). I decided to upgrade to Mojave. I made a USB per the guide to upgrade the machine. After running the upgrade off of the USB, the system is getting the kernel panic and restarting.

After trying multiple different boots with Clover and trying to reinstall. Still no luck. I then decided I’d try doing a fresh Mojave install onto a new SSD and then just do a data migration from the original SSD to recover all my personal data.

The fresh Mojave install worked as did the data migration. However, when I went to restart the new install with all my personal data, I started getting the same panic as I had on the old system.

Stand by and I’ll get the info you want to see.

You migrated your personal data to the working computer with Mojave on a new SSD.
After this the new System SSD also started to go on KP on boot; as shown in the paused video frames uploaded to #5

With this information, I would want to see the CLOVER folder in the disk and your BIOS options for clues.

Only way to get CLOVER from the disk easier is to connect the disk to another Mac or Hack with a USB to SATA adapter if needed and then launch an EFI Mounter to view the EFI partition of the ailing SSD and open EFI>EFI>CLOVER>Compress as zip>Forum upload.

Go to BIOS with a FAT Formatted USB Flash disk or even your USB installer disk that has an EFI partition with FAT and 210MB size with only a small portion used for CLOVER with plenty of free space for 10-14 Screen capture images (BMP file) taken with F-12 key in BIOS . You can view the images and edit them to png for Forum upload.

Last edited:
Attached is Clover folder...

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
And...the BIOS....

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.png
    2.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.png
    3.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 4.png
    4.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 5.png
    5.png
    210 KB · Views: 80
  • 6.png
    6.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 7.png
    7.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 66
FakeSMC.kext is version 6.18.1394 from 2015.
Why do you have three Ethernet kexts ? Do you have three Ethernet interfaces ?
Your config.plist is almost blank and therefore useless.
My config.plist is 7kb whereas yours is 425 bytes.

I really have no idea. I’m not the greatest as this stuff. Just need to fix it so it works again.

I hope that’s the right clover folder. When I used EFI mounter, it gave me multiple options.

Well, you’re right. But a lot of this stuff is convoluted. I only have one drive with clover on it, why would it give me multiple options?

Why when I install Mojave, clover randomly gives me new boot options. Like “Boot MacOS prebooter from prebooter” and Boot FileVault from prebooter”. A lot of these issues aren’t in the guide and definitely can’t read through hundreds of replies and posts.

Systems based on hope seldom work correctly.

Why when I install Mojave, clover randomly gives me new boot options. Like “Boot MacOS prebooter from prebooter” and Boot FileVault from prebooter”.
It is normal not random behaviour (documented or not).
The issues that you should concern yourself with are :
Creating a valid config.plist that will boot your system.
Updating FakeSMC.kext to a more current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back