Nvdia 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I have been having some nasty crashes after finishing my hackintosh build. A complete freeze, sometimes accompanied by stuttering DC offsets (very loud no matter what volume my monitors are at, scares the hell out of me every time), other times the sound will just disappear first then around 5-10 seconds later the system will freeze.
Unlike other posts I've seen, I dont retain the use of the mouse, everything just stops.

Spec time:
3.5Ghz Intel i7 Ivy
16bg 2133mhz DDR3 Vengeance ram
GTX 660TI 2gb
Z77 UD5H mobo
CD/DVDRW SH-222BB
ST2000DM001-9YN164 HDD
TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe card
XFX Pro seriers 850w Core edition PSU
Audio - M audio firewire 410 (firewire external soundcard)

I think thats everything. It all works as it should, aside from the crashes.

I have tested the ram in memtest for over 24 hours with no issues, I RMA'd the psu for a better (the current) one, though it has a small amount of squeal under load (more on the windows side than the mac).
What confuses me the most is that I used to get a lot of blue screens under windows, but after I removed an over clock and keyed in the ram stick's timings correctly that all stopped. However the OSX freezes are still on going.

Framing: The crashes frequently happen when I am using Logic Pro, could it be I'm stressing my system too much? Another possibility could be that the hackintosh doesn't like the firewire interface on the mobo, perhaps a separate PCI Firewire card would solve this (Based on the sound cutting out before hand)?
Other times they happen when I'm watching youtube (sound would cut out etc) on google chrome.

So, any thoughts?

Sidenote.
Multibeast setup involved little messing around, just audio, nullcpumanagement and a couple of ethernet and usb kexts.

I have a really similar setup:

i7 3770K @ 4.7Ghz
Z77 UD5H
680 GTX
32GB TridentX 2400 Ram (running only at 2000mhz with F15q bios)
Apogee Ensemble

I've had crashes seemingly from Spotify, and stuttering in light/med audio sequencing. There are a few things I recommend doing, as of the last 2 days I've been rock solid.

1) Hit up this place for latest bios: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/gigabyte/ga-z77x-ud5h_wb_wifi.htm
2) Load optimised defaults and start from there
3) If you're overlocking make sure you fix up your SSDT. This is so important. I was using a user submitted one and I'd crash - seemingly after booting most of time, otherwise whenever outputting sound an hour/day later. Hit up this link for a tool to make your own SSDT (you just need your CPU's TDP, normal and turbo speeds), save it as SSDT.aml and stick it in your Extra folder: http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/83565-native-dsdt-aml-ide-compiler-maciasl-open-beta.html
4) I have a suspicion that if the BIOS updates in the future don't fix it, the VIA 1394 onboard plain sucks ass. I'm going to spring for a card, apparently this one works out of the box, and gives you no dramas with sleep/shutdown: Syba SD-PEX30009

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back