Contribute
Register

Memory corrupted after longer sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
After making due with disabling sleep on my system almost since building it last fall, I finally decided to try replacing RAM. I had been using the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit (BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00) that I'd bought following the October 2014 Buyer's Guide. I replaced it with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB kit (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL) that's on the memory compatibility list for my board. In order to get the new RAM recognized at 1600MHz I had to enable XMPDetection and Trust in my Clover Config.plist. After five days without shutting down and multiple sleep/wake cycles each day: no crashes.

I haven't tested running my old Crucial RAM with the changes to XMPDetection and Trust in Clover Config.plist—I don't think I will—but those changes might be worth trying for anyone else experience this problem, just in case.

My sleep problems seem to have been corrected by using MacPro5,1 instead of iMac14,2. Odd considering that the latter should technically have better support for Haswell.

It appears that there are a variety of factors which cause this. I had the same problem but with a 3930K on an Asus Sabertooth X79 board. For whatever reason Yosemite appears to be particularly finicky about hardware and even though sleep/wake appears to work fine in Mav/ML/Windows, Yosemite reveals problems. In my case after careful parsing of the logs I finally noticed I was getting Unsynchronized TSC errors whenever the computer wakes (from VoodooTSCSync kext). This apparently caused a whole host of random memory corruption/crashes during wake (including background daemons, making the whole computer unusable at times). I had to update my BIOS in order to fix this issue.
After going through this I highly doubt that the sleep/wake issues are directly caused by the length of sleep, but that it essentially random with a skewing towards higher memory usage revealing the problem.
So, I'd check to ensure you have the latest BIOS and tweak the BIOS settings (especially if you overclock), ensure that your memory isn't bad/incompatible (it's subtle), try changing the SMBIOS, attempt applying the various DSDT fixes (easily done with clover) or ultimately even try a different MB. Unfortunately memory corruption after sleep points to a whole host of issues, none of which are easily resolvable.

Hey guys, I confirm what skittlebrau above just said. Changing smbios to MacPro3,1 seems to solve the problem... but in turn the support for Haswell is not good, no correct power management. So it fixes the problem but shoots down correct cpu power management.

So this is definitely an indication of the problem... some smbios parameter is causing this.

Maybe something to do with AppleTyMCEDriver and ECC RAM ?

Can someone have the gut to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext under iMac14,2 smbios and test if it still crashes or has corrupted ram after sleep or not ?

You should take a look at your console log to see what error messages you are getting. Just by changing the SMBIOS may not necessarily be the real solution, as it simply masks the problem by turning off proper speed-stepping. Perhaps you need to implement properer speedstepping for your motherboard/CPU combo in order to correctly fix the issue.
Using an older SMBIOS just means you aren't using certain CPU power management features.

It appears that there are a variety of factors which cause this. I had the same problem but with a 3930K on an Asus Sabertooth X79 board. For whatever reason Yosemite appears to be particularly finicky about hardware and even though sleep/wake appears to work fine in Mav/ML/Windows, Yosemite reveals problems. In my case after careful parsing of the logs I finally noticed I was getting Unsynchronized TSC errors whenever the computer wakes (from VoodooTSCSync kext). This apparently caused a whole host of random memory corruption/crashes during wake (including background daemons, making the whole computer unusable at times). I had to update my BIOS in order to fix this issue.
After going through this I highly doubt that the sleep/wake issues are directly caused by the length of sleep, but that it essentially random with a skewing towards higher memory usage revealing the problem.
So, I'd check to ensure you have the latest BIOS and tweak the BIOS settings (especially if you overclock), ensure that your memory isn't bad/incompatible (it's subtle), try changing the SMBIOS, attempt applying the various DSDT fixes (easily done with clover) or ultimately even try a different MB. Unfortunately memory corruption after sleep points to a whole host of issues, none of which are easily resolvable.

Hey phosphodyson, can you tell me how to update my BIOS I have the z97x ud3h bk (rev.1) - the gigabyte website only has .exe (obviously). Anyway to update without PC? Also what are the chances that updating BIOS will compromise the stability of my current build..?

I've just started a similar thread but in my case relating to the Z87x... and a 4770k

Totally random crashes... and with the machine is sleep state randomly turns the pc on after totally random time periods or simply crashes and reboots!

I'm going to stick my neck out here and without changing memory myself say,,, MOST Definitely not a Memory issue or else we all bought form the same dealer...!!!! I tested mine with MEMTEST OSX and both 8Gb Ram banks come up smelling of Roses!

Are we all Running Clover? is there some patch or injector we either need or disable as the case may be?

Never had this issue on my previous build but this rig was build to the Specified recommended Build when I built it! Had this issue regularly ( from around 10.10.2 and onwards... and now also in El Capitan Public Beta 4... and also a kind of total freeze of the desktop for around a minute or more on wake from Sleep under normal conditions . sometimes with Beachball too...

Pretty Worrying...

Hey phosphodyson, can you tell me how to update my BIOS I have the z97x ud3h bk (rev.1) - the gigabyte website only has .exe (obviously). Anyway to update without PC? Also what are the chances that updating BIOS will compromise the stability of my current build..?

You should have installed the Gigabyte Utilities via the DIsk that came with your Board... The app is called app centre, You can access t normally via the System Tray in your Windows install or else by browsing to the C:/Programsx86/Gigabyte folder (or similar)... In there you will find an app called @BIOS Launch it either from The APP Center or the Launcher in that folder

You can flash the Bios via the wizard... Connect to server, ensure the model returned is the SAME as your Board and its Revision (in my case a z87x Ver 1) But before you do anything else make sure you have a nice image that is roughly 5% smaller than the size of you screen saved off as a Jpeg or BMP. You will get that Face thingy... here you will select an image for your Bootscreen!!! (Took me a while to figure out what this was all about.. particularly after the fright I got when I originally rebooted and there was just a Black Screen there and no lovely UD Wallpaper anymore..

Anyhow thats how you flash (or one tried and tested way) of your Gigabyte Board!

Just make sure you let the wizard run its course... reboot and then CHECK your Bios Configurations (which will most likely have changed back to defaults!) by hitting INS as you reboot.

Chances are you'll be met with a message that the Bios has changed or been updated - the next step should be obvious.

Change your settings as you did when installing OSX originally, save and exit and you shout be good to go

I take back what I wrote. Apparently somehow when installing updated Nvidia drivers the system decided to switch from Nvidia to Apple drivers, and that was the cause of longer sleeps failing. As of this moment, my uptime is 3 days, 7:46.

Thanks... I just checked mine and not sure how but it seems somehow they've defaulted to Mac Native... Can't remember changing that myself... You've given me something to try here,,,, Wonder if it's that simple but I'd take 3 days at this stage and none of this crap while its sleeping!

UPDATED

Nope.. doesn't fix the issue here at all. wake from sleep still sees a massive hang/lag before I can open a window etc... 3 or more minutes of Beach ball madness!

Make sure you have HFSPlus-64.efi (and not the plain, 32-bit version), in drivers64 of your Clover EFI partition. I think this may have been relevant to my troubles, at least.

Also try: XMP profile (if available) to DISABLED, and Memory optimised for STABILITY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back