Contribute
Register

Memory corrupted after longer sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, am having the same problem. Kernel Panics after waking from sleep (sometimes after it has been asleep for a very long time, and sometimes after a short period of time).

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU: I7-4790K
Memory: CRUCIAL 16GB 8X2 D3 1600 DIMM C8 (BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 / 649528757647)
GPU: Evga Nvidia 970
OSX: 10.10.3

I've tried the following, without success:
Hardware:

• Relocate RAM to different bank (from 0/1 to 2/3)
BIOS:

• Disable turbo boost
  • Validate memory settings (1.5v)
  • XHCI & EHCI Enabled
  • Disable WOL

• Ensure that NullCPUManagement is removed in S/L/E
  • Generate SSDT file and use with clover EFI
  • Revert to nvidia 346.01.02f02 driver

From all of the reading, the common theme appears to be memory related, and there are a lot of people with real iMacs having the same issue. Curious what evidence there is of this occurring in Windows or if this is possibly an OSX software issue that can be fixed.

From all of the reading, the common theme appears to be memory related, and there are a lot of people with real iMacs having the same issue. Curious what evidence there is of this occurring in Windows or if this is possibly an OSX software issue that can be fixed.
That's exactly what I think, it's Yosemite being an arse. I get kernel panics type 13 and 14, and when I google, I end up on discussions.apple.com seeing people with Macbooks having the same problems.Hopefully 10.10.4 will fix it.

I take back what I wrote. Apparently somehow when installing updated Nvidia drivers the system decided to switch from Nvidia to Apple drivers, and that was the cause of longer sleeps failing. As of this moment, my uptime is 3 days, 7:46.

How did you figure out that had happened?

Anyway, I'm running HD4600 graphics, so it can't be the same , I'm just curious:)

I looked at the crash report, and it listed NVidia kexts. I thought, wait a minute, and checked the NVidia Control Panel. Sure enough, the default drivers were selected. I don't understand why NVidia drivers fix the problem, because Apple support my card without drivers as well, but somehow they do.

Up 4 days, 1:47 as of now :)

I was hoping to stay on on HD 4600 by the way, but somehow I couldn't make it communicate with my display and give me proper resolution -- DVI gave me 1920x1200, and HDMI just didn't display anything. So I bought EVGA GT 740 Superclocked http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2744-KR and it got me here. If it's an option for you, perhaps it might help -- I never managed to achieve proper sleep with HD 4600. Our motherboards aren't the same but I don't really know how different Z97N-WIFI and Z97N-Gaming are.

Hi there!

I think i found (at last for my RAM related panics) the source!

Problem was that after re-seating the CPU and mounting the cooler, Schorsch ran for some days without a flaw! But then the freezes and kp's started again... :(

Finally i did some sort of final try and exchanged the Mainboard for an ASUS Z97i-Plus. But after assembling RAM behaved funny again.... I didn't get XMP to work properly... Got an instant reboot/BIOS reset after sleep - so there was something really really wrong again... Now that i have changed nearly everything except the Cooler guess what:

It was my dammit CPU cooler!!!!

I was googeling about RAM errors and stumbled over some posts about CPU coolers tightened too fast...

So after disassembling my poor Schorsch for another time i took a closer look at the cooler screws.

They have a plastic cap with an integrated spring to drag the cooler tight to the CPU. Those springs were of the very strong kind. So this time after re-seating the i7 again, i tightened the coolers screws with much much much much feel and only as tight that the cooler was proper seated.

And now? Schorsch is running even XMP Profiles!

Maybe this will help some of you!

Happy Hacking
Kellni

Latest update: my computer crashes once uptime of 4 days and a few hours is reached. Never before 4 days. It doesn't matter how long or short the sleep cycles are, or how many. All nighters are pulled successfully... four times. Then I put it to sleep for an hour and get kernel panic.

To quote Madonna, "Sigmund Freud – Analyse this!"

Still having kernel panic issue after sleep... completely current OS and graphics card drivers. Very frustrating.

Considering replacing my memory, but having a bit of cold feet since HX316C10FK2/16 is not on the list of memory kits supported by my GA-Z97N-WIFI and I don't really want to spend 100 euro only to have the same problem :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back