Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
I'm using Clover v3923
Check your main partition, the one with libraries/extensions, etc.... EFI backups, do you have more than one version of clover there? Do the config.plists match? Is one injecting Intel and the other not, boot arguments, kext folders with contradictory settings. Use EFI mounter to check EFI partition as well to compare your boot (EFI) clover and your EFI back up clover folders.

When you have a system and add the latest clover on top of the older version it can "Stack Up" and give confusing or contrary settings. Usually this shows in the EFI backup folder.

Motherboard
GA-H170M-DS3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
AMD RX 480
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Check your main partition, the one with libraries/extensions, etc.... EFI backups, do you have more than one version of clover there? Do the config.plists match? Is one injecting Intel and the other not, boot arguments, kext folders with contradictory settings. Use EFI mounter to check EFI partition as well to compare your boot (EFI) clover and your EFI back up clover folders.

When you have a system and add the latest clover on top of the older version it can "Stack Up" and give confusing or contrary settings. Usually this shows in the EFI backup folder.
My system had 2 efi partitions, 1 from my principal partition(ssd) and another from the Backup partition(From my backup with Carbon Copy Cloner), I tried to test all those kext, etc changes on my backup partition to don't "broke" my macOS Principal partition where I work

Edit: Of course all the change in my config.plist are in the Backup EFI partition too

Last edited:
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
If i understand well you are not sending monitor full 4k resolution. That is why its not crisp as your monitor scales your resolution to 4k - you are not watching pixel for pixel. Monitors have mostly bad scalers.

The rest of your problems can have various reasons.
Hmmm, but what is the right solution?
The monitor gets from the GPU a 4k resolution at 30Hz (3840x2160@30Hz). In macOS, a kind of scaling transforms the desktop resolution of 3200x1800@30Hz to the 4k signal coming out of the GPU.
I can't use 4k without scaling. I think, macOS does this kind of scaling also for the retina displays.

I also don't know, why Win10 is better with this kind of scaling. In Win10 i use a 125% scaling.

Perhaps, macOS calculates the truetype fonts to 3200x1800 and than with the scaling to 4k it is "garbage"/not sharp.
And perhaps windows calculates the truetype fonts to 4k with a bigger size -> no scaling garbage !?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
The monitor gets from the GPU a 4k resolution at 30Hz (3840x2160@30Hz). In macOS, a kind of scaling transforms the desktop resolution of 3200x1800@30Hz to the 4k signal coming out of the GPU.
I can't use 4k without scaling. I think, macOS does this kind of scaling also for the retina displays.

I also don't know, why Win10 is better with this kind of scaling. In Win10 i use a 125% scaling.

Perhaps, macOS calculates the truetype fonts to 3200x1800 and than with the scaling to 4k it is "garbage"/not sharp.
And perhaps windows calculates the truetype fonts to 4k with a bigger size -> no scaling garbage !?
What is your system definition? I had no trouble getting 4K with iMac 17.1 definition on a Vizio 43" @30hz.

qbe

Motherboard
Asus X299 Deluxe
CPU
i7 7820X
Graphics
Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

If you want some troubleshooting, create a new thread. We can always come back and report if the problem is indeed due to GPU/"drivers"

Motherboard
ASUS H110M-e DDR4
CPU
i3 6100
Graphics
HD530 + HIS RX 470 IceQ X2 OC 4GB
Good news guys, my HIS RX 470 suddenly works :D
I couldn't remember what i changed in BIOS, but here is my current settings:
  • Clover v3949
  • Add 0x67DF1002 to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/Info.plist (remember to fix permission and clear cache after saving, I use Kext Utility)
  • config.plist: Inject ATI = true, and yes, that's it, that's the only config you need to change, no FBName or FakeID
  • My BIOS setup: Primary Display = CPU Graphics (of course), DVMT Pre-Allocated = 256MB (see attachment for more details)
161128161731.png

DP works, Heaven benchmark is on par with Windows 10 (it's a RX 470, not 480), I'm super happy with this, even though I've almost given up on it and ordered some other parts for my new CustoMini project.

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 11.15.07 PM.png

UPDATE: I've have said that I also left Inject Intel = true

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Good news guys, my HIS RX 470 suddenly works :D
I couldn't remember what i changed in BIOS, but here is my current settings:
  • Clover v3949
  • Add 0x67DF1002 to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/Info.plist (remember to fix permission and clear cache after saving, I use Kext Utility)
  • config.plist: Inject ATI = true, and yes, that's it, that's the only config you need to change, no FBName or FakeID
  • My BIOS setup: Primary Display = CPU Graphics (of course), DVMT Pre-Allocated = 256MB (see attachment for more details)
View attachment 222822

DP works, Heaven benchmark is on par with Windows 10 (it's a RX 470, not 480), I'm super happy with this, even though I've almost given up on it and ordered some other parts for my new CustoMini project.

View attachment 222821

UPDATE: I've have said that I also left Inject Intel = true
Nice, thanks for reporting it working. Can you run a Uningine valley bench?

What happens when you don't inject Intel? Do you get display 7mb, or does it crash during boot?

There's a way to get SKL CRB graphics without injecting Intel. Use fake ID 19120003, and ig platform 0a206080, it works well and gives you "native" AppleIntelSKLgraphicskext in Sierra @1536mb. You may be able to bump that score up a bit with SKL CRB graphics.

Motherboard
ASUS H110M-e DDR4
CPU
i3 6100
Graphics
HD530 + HIS RX 470 IceQ X2 OC 4GB
Nice, thanks for reporting it working. Can you run a Uningine valley bench?

What happens when you don't inject Intel? Do you get display 7mb, or does it crash during boot?

There's a way to get SKL CRB graphics without injecting Intel. Use fake ID 19120003, and ig platform 0a206080, it works well and gives you "native" AppleIntelSKLgraphicskext in Sierra @1536mb. You may be able to bump that score up a bit with SKL CRB graphics.
I don't have Valley benchmark yet, will update later. And I can boot fine without Inject Intel, and SKL CRB is loaded successfully too, only the glitch on top left and no HDMI Audio. I'm pretty sure that to use fake ID and ig-platform-id, along with others like UseIntelHDMI, AddProperties, we must inject Intel. Besides, tried your IDs, not working (kext not loaded), are you sure about the value? I think they're vice versa, ig-platform-id = 0x1912003 and IntelGFX = 0x0a206080 (6080?? shouldn't it be 8086)?

Status
Not open for further replies.