Motherboard
Asus p8z68 v-lx
CPU
i7 2700k
Graphics
Nvidia 770
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
I fresh install Catalina. But I don't like it. I deleted and install Mojave again. I don't like that;
1-File system very solid. No change anything.
2-New iTunes (called Music).
3-Can't use Office 2011 for Mac. And many 32 bit apps.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@karahan_zorbey,

I recommend getting the GO64 freeware utility to identify all your 32bit applications so you can update them or get rid of them and find new ones that 64bit applications. See this article about more information on using GO54 and the 32bit application issue.

Motherboard
GA-H110M-A
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi, does anybody know why Apple releases every year a new os ? It seems to cause a lot of chaos and irritation each year.

Kind regards
  1. Because customers and business partners ask for new features.
  2. Because Apple has their own long term goals for the OS that requires gradual improvement over several releases (APFS, removal of 32 bit support, iTunes replacement etc.)
  3. Because Apple needs to support new HW and HW features.
While they could try to go with a "rolling release" model like some Linux distributions, it is much easier to make the larger far reaching changes once per year using a "point release". It believed, and with good reason, that point releases are more stable in general since only bug fixes are delivered and not new features (which almost always introduce more bugs).

Motherboard
GA-H110M-A
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I fresh install Catalina. But I don't like it. I deleted and install Mojave again. I don't like that;
1-File system very solid. No change anything.
2-New iTunes (called Music).
3-Can't use Office 2011 for Mac. And many 32 bit apps.
Sounds like you didn't do much research, since #2 and #3 are well known changes that come with Catalina that have been discussed in Apple circles for months.

For #3, I am even more curious. Perhaps cost is an issue, but why not move into current times and use Google Docs or something else in the cloud like Office 365 that supports the same MS Office file formats? Or, if don't like the Cloud and want a disconnected desktop application installed locally that supports these formats, why not try LibreOffice or another freeware office suite for MacOS that provides updates?

Just to note: "Microsoft has announced that support for Microsoft Office 2011 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) for Mac is ending October 10, 2017. ... This means that no more bug fixes or security updates will be coming from Microsoft and they will no longer help you with any issues you may have if you're still running Office 2011."

I am also curious to know what 32-bit apps folks are still using on MacOS that don't have modern 64-bit replacements?

Motherboard
HP 8300
CPU
i7-3770/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
Android
Never tried updating. Built first hackintosh about 2 years ago and have been running Sierra (10.12.6) since then with no problem. But now have to update to install latest Xcode. (Hackintosh h'w is HP 8300 Elite SFF Q77 Board | i7 3770 | HD 4000).

Any tips on what I should be looking out for?

Do I have to update kexts, etc...? Is it worth trying to do a standard update or is that an invitation for trouble (like getting locked-out of my files - currently don't have a hard drive to back-up to)?

Very rusty, but would appreciate any pointers before starting more research.

Last edited:

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Never tried updating. Built first hackintosh about 2 years ago and have been running Sierra (10.12.6) since then with no problem. But now have to update to install latest Xcode. (Hackintosh h'w is HP 8300 Elite SFF Q77 Board | i7 3770 | HD 4000).

Any tips on what I should be looking out for?

Do I have to update kexts, etc...? Is it worth trying to do a standard update or is that an invitation for trouble (like getting locked-out of my files - currently don't have a hard drive to back-up to)?

Very rusty, but would appreciate any pointers before starting more research.
Best to get a new SSD and a new USB stick 16mb. Save your old drive in case you need to go back. You can always load your old files onto the new drive later.

Motherboard
HP 8300
CPU
i7-3770/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
Android
Best to get a new SSD and a new USB stick 16mb. Save your old drive in case you need to go back. You can always load your old files onto the new drive later.
So your saying replace the old drive with a new SSD drive and build a new USB stick? Sounds like u think I should do a full install, not an update? Not a bad idea!

Hmmm. You don't think an OS update is the way to go in my case? (sorry, I'm a bit rusty). Maybe I can try doing a Carbon Copy backup to the new SSD and try the update and see what happens? Problem is I'm still trying to figure out how to do simple things like update Clover (is there a link to instructions for updating Clover?, I can't even find the link to download MultiBeast!)

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING WI-FI
CPU
i7-9700F
Graphics
RX 550
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Can you send your EFI folder, because I want to see how you made the injection for AMD drivers. I got black screen after the last Catalina update. My Graphic Card is a RADEON VII
It's in attachment. But now I have the same issue after update to 10.15.1... Will try to update WhateverGreen 1.3.4 to solve this.

Attachments