CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Success!

Preparation:

Finally sat down and prepared a USB DSDT (guide) and made sure that the USB ports I had setup were working properly. Removed the 4 Mojave USB kexts.

Updated Clover to 5097 and updated the drivers I used from Mojave in Clover Configuartor. The one I couldn't find in the newer clover was XhciDxe-64.efi. After some reading I decided I'd go ahead without it and see if it was still used after the USB DSDT. (So far I've not seen any change in not using it, USB3 still worked in Mojave and Catalina.)

Ran a Carbon Copy backup of my Mojave drive with updated Clover EFI drive.
-Booted from my backup and made sure all was ok.

Set my Clover Timeout to 15 seconds to give me a window to catch the Install boot drive.

Update:

Download approx 1 hr.

Install approx 45m.
2- Reboots in the first 15 minutes. 1-reboot in the last 20 minutes.

Logged in without a problem.

Check:

Verified in IOreg that my USB ports were still according to my DSDT.
Checked audio on HDMI, all good. Checked through my RME audio interface, all good. Device Handoff works fine.

Didn't check: Facetime or Messages (I'll have to wait for people I know to wake up.)

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 2.37.17 AM.png

Motherboard
GA-a320m S2H
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600 af
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 470 4gb
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I had read somewhere on these forums that the purple lines are a side effect of having an AMD GPU. I get the purple lines as well (still on 10.14.6 at the moment) and I have an RX 560. Do you happen to have an AMD card in your hack?
Apparently the problem goes far beyond updating Clover. I have an RX 470 and that problem was present in clover 4920, but after updating it, the problem disappeared. In fact, if I change my Efi folder back to the one with Clover 4920, the problem returns. That's why I had that conclusion.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I think I will wait 6 months until I update, like I did with Mojave. Luckily we will get security updates for Mojave until 2021, so no need to hurry here. Catalina does not seem to have any must-have-features anyway.

Motherboard
ASrock X99M Killer
CPU
E5-2675v3
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My 10.15 has been installed, but geekbench 5 runs very low

3675cc61fe39470bb77468f0c882f2e6.jpg

Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU
i7
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The direct upgrade from Mojave to Catalina went great for me as well.

And Catalina works on my GT710

Motherboard
GA-Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Here's a drive icon workaround. Boot your system from a Mojave drive and change the drive icons (both system and data) via the old method of copy and paste. Once done reboot your system back to Catalina and the icons will stick.
10.15.1 beta solved the issue. icons can be changed as in the past

Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU
i7
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yeah for sure

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wasn't able to boot with Clover with FileVault so have been using OC but gave this a try and that was the fix - wow! thanks. I had to disable SIP to be able to install the latest Clover on Catalina.

Clover boot handles HiDPI. I tried various options of OC but never got HiDPI working.

Before your suggestion, I was getting stuck on the Apple Logo screen forever. Never got to the point like other people where there was a delay of 2-5 minutes.

After following your suggestion, I no longer get stuck on the Apple Logo screen, in fact it boots at the same speed as it used to on Mojave.

CodeDJ, are you using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC ?

I tried switching a while back but had some issues so went back to Fake.

What efis/kexts are you using ?

I want to give another go, but this time on a fresh ssd :)