Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

I think you misunderstand it.

Vega is installed in PCIe1 which is primary display I use. I am even enabled iGPU but not connected any display with it.

So, if I chose PCIe1 as primary in BIOS, my second monitor show up boot logo since I chose PCIe1.
But if I chose PCIe3 as primary in BIOS, my first monitor shows up boot logo but because this monitor connected to Vega, Vega is primary display card. But some reason, it is not working USB and the functions(Camera, mic, speakers) in UltraFine 5K monitor unless I choose other PCIe slot.

And I read one of guide of 5K UltaFine set up which is not official and perfect but it works anyway :))

It might be bug or whatever as like you said, but it is the best way so far.

I do not have other problems so far.
Let me get this straight. Both monitors are connected to the VEGA. If you choose "PCIe Slot 1" for initial graphics, then your 4K display is used. If you choose "PCIe Slot 3" for initial graphics, then your LG 5K display is used. That is very strange.
What if you set "PCIe Slot 1" as initial graphics, but connect the LG 5K to the second and third DP of the VEGA and move the 4K to the first DP of the VEGA?

You didn't try "PCIe Slot 2", so we don't know that the behavior of selecting "PCIe Slot 3" is caused because it's not "PCIe Slot 1", instead of specifically "PCIe Slot 3".

I have fixed it . it works gread with one cable now . Thanks for your help. there is a
kIODPEventIdle attribute make it work so badly. I just skip this event , and it is ok now .
source codes have been uploaded to:
https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K

Two cables 5K works also, see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5k-full-5k-60hz-success.240730/#post-1652882 for details
Hey, aerror.
Congratulations.
Do you think it will work with GTX 1050 or 1060?
Correctly I realized that you could see the boot screen and use only one DP cable?
Which DP cable you used, I will be grateful for the link of the store in which you bought it.

Hey, aerror.
Congratulations.
Do you think it will work with GTX 1050 or 1060?
Correctly I realized that you could see the boot screen and use only one DP cable?
Which DP cable you used, I will be grateful for the link of the store in which you bought it.
Boot screen always uses one cable, even if both are connected, which means it's never 5K (unless someone makes a UEFI graphics driver that supports MST displays). So there's nothing special to be done for that.

The driver that aerror patched is used for all the Nvidia graphics cards. And anyway, the 1080, 1060, and 1050 use the same driver.

While I'm currently not interested in building a hackintosh, I'm curious whether I'd be able to use the LG Ultrafine 5k display with my current setup:

Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH (two native Thunderbolt ports)
i7 6700K
no GPU besides Intel HD 530

From what I've read in this thread it should work natively in Windows 10 at least. (However, further positive feedback would still be greatly appreciated!) Anyone tried using this display with a similar setup running a linux operating system?

Thanks a lot in advance!

While I'm currently not interested in building a hackintosh, I'm curious whether I'd be able to use the LG Ultrafine 5k display with my current setup:

i7 6700K

From what I've read in this thread it should work natively in Windows 10 at least. (However, further positive feedback would still be greatly appreciated!) Anyone tried using this display with a similar setup running a linux operating system?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Not sure about linux support and/or the Intel HD 530, but at least your Mobo supports the TB3 add-in card: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#ov
You can use that card to combine two DP1.2 (max 4K / 60 HZ each), and connect the LG 5K with a single cable.

I'm curious whether I'd be able to use the LG Ultrafine 5k display with my current setup:

i7 6700K

I have a 6700K in my Z170X-Gaming 7. Windows 10 Intel graphics drivers do support 5K 60Hz on my Dell 5K so an LG 5K should work using a Thunderbolt controller chip that has two DisplayPort inputs which means not my built-in Thunderbolt because it only has one DisplayPort input from the integrated graphics. The UD5's built-in Thunderbolt does have two DisplayPort inputs from the integrated graphics so it should have no problem. You don't need a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card in the UD5 unless you want to connect the LG 5K to Nvidia or AMD graphics.

Setting up 5K in Linux seems too complicated to be worth it for either Intel or Nvidia or AMD (I haven't tried AMD). I've only tried Ubuntu 17.04. Ubuntu 17.10 changes the window manager to Wayland but I don't know if that improves this situation.

Does Windows 10 support brightness control over USB as used by the LG 5K? Otherwise you might be able to do brightness control through DisplayPort DDC/CI.

Thank your for your quick and detailed replies!

As joevt already pointed out, I don't need the TB3 add-in card for my mainboard, since there are already two fully working TB3 ports available (it's the TH version).

Glad to hear that it should be working on Windows 10 at least. So you haven't been able to run the display with a 5k resolution on Ubuntu 17.04 but lower resolutions work fine? I assume that Wayland won't change the situation since the maximum resolution will probably be limited by the graphics driver.

I guess I'll get the Ultrafine 5k as soon as I can afford it, 4k is sometimes not as sharp as I'd like it to be.

So you haven't been able to run the display with a 5k resolution on Ubuntu 17.04 but lower resolutions work fine? I assume that Wayland won't change the situation since the maximum resolution will probably be limited by the graphics driver.

4K works fine in Linux. For 5K, Ubuntu 17.04 can see the two 2560 x 2880 tiles (left and right half of the screens), but isn't very good at putting them together as a single display. Hopefully only the layers above the graphics driver needs to be fixed.

Is it possible to connect a Ultrafine 4k + Ultrafine 5k with both brightness control under macOS? I love my ultra fine 5k and currently have a extra 27" 4k screen but I am spoiled by the ppi of the ultrafine 5k. The ultrafine 4k is usb-c so I could simply use a usb-c to displayport cable but then I can't control brightness I guess?. Anyone experience with that? Currently using a Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 AIC card but that already uses 2 displayport streams + thunderbolt header on the motherboard.

Is it possible to connect a Ultrafine 4k + Ultrafine 5k with both brightness control under macOS? I love my ultra fine 5k and currently have a extra 27" 4k screen but I am spoiled by the ppi of the ultrafine 5k. The ultrafine 4k is usb-c so I could simply use a usb-c to displayport cable but then I can't control brightness I guess?. Anyone experience with that? Currently using a Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 AIC card but that already uses 2 displayport streams + thunderbolt header on the motherboard.
You may be able to control brightness without USB by using an app than can control DDC/CI over DisplayPort. There are a few examples but I haven't tried any of them.
Code:
Backlight-DDC
brightness
DDC Panel
DDC-CI-Tools-for-OS-X
ddcctl
DDCCTL
NativeDisplayBrightness

Otherwise, you could use a Delock 89582 or Sunix UPD2018 which have a DisplayPort input and a USB controller to create a USB-C port with USB 3.1 gen 2 and DisplayPort alt mode.

The Cypress CY4501 CCG1 Development Kit includes a CCG1 Host Board which takes USB and DisplayPort input to make a USB-C port with DisplayPort alt mode. I like this solution because it doesn't require a PCIe slot but it's expensive because it includes a lot of stuff you don't need. I don't see why a cable manufacture couldn't make an inexpensive adapter that does this. Maybe it can't get certified by the USB-IF.

Another LG 5K might be possible with a second Thunerderbolt 3 AIC but that will probably not have working USB either. DDC/CI over DisplayPort might work again here.

Back