Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

on Z170x gaming 7, Alpine Ridge does not working 2 xmDP -TH3 method. no signal.

This statement is lacking information (which OS? which graphics source?).

Try it in Windows. Put the Add-in card in PCIEX8, since Windows might not like it in the PCIEX4 slot. PCIEX8 won't allow PCI tunneling but it won't confuse Windows like putting it in PCIEX4 does. PCIEX4 won't confuse the OS if you populate the second M.2 port with a NVMe drive, because in that case the four PCIe lanes go to the NVMe drive instead of PCIEX4. PCIEX4 will still get power which should be all that's needed for DisplayPort conversion to Thunderbolt.
Try two DisplayPort inputs from Nvidia in Windows.
Then try two DisplayPort inputs from IGPU (one from USB-C and the other from DisplayPort) in Windows.

This statement is lacking information (which OS? which graphics source?).

Try it in Windows. Put the Add-in card in PCIEX8, since Windows might not like it in the PCIEX4 slot. PCIEX8 won't allow PCI tunneling but it won't confuse Windows like putting it in PCIEX4 does. PCIEX4 won't confuse the OS if you populate the second M.2 port with a NVMe drive, because in that case the four PCIe lanes go to the NVMe drive instead of PCIEX4. PCIEX4 will still get power which should be all that's needed for DisplayPort conversion to Thunderbolt.
Try two DisplayPort inputs from Nvidia in Windows.
Then try two DisplayPort inputs from IGPU (one from USB-C and the other from DisplayPort) in Windows.

Ah, I am using Two M.2 and then makes not working the ADD on card working in Windows.

I guess Nvidia probably not working anyway so far.

But I will give it a shot for your suggestion soon.

However, your suggestion is really confused to me.

My Mb has just one Dp and Hdmi. One USB-c.

So for Nvidia: two DP goes to Two mDP of AR card. And one of TH3(#1, or #2) goes to my 5k monitor.
For HD 530: One Dp and USB-c (this case I need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 cable) to Two mDP goes to my 5k monitor.

Am I right?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I followed the topic Hackintosh and LG 5K display very attentively. To make it easier for newcomers, I would like to summarize the following points:

1. Which hardware requirements exist?

- mainboard
- thunderbolt card
- graphic card

2. What are the most important software customizations?

- clover
- kernel extensions

3. Will the webcam, USB ports and brightness adjustment work?

4. Is it possible to operate two LG 5K displays on the Hackintosh?

- For example, with two Vega 64 and two GC Alpine Ridge

5. Are there problems when I connect other displays?

My goal is to create a complete setup for the operation with 2 LG 5K displays, buy it and create a small tutorial. Dreamlike if you could tell me your experiences and share your knowledge.

UPD: Success
I was able to get an independent image on both monitors, but only on a LG monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz.
I guess this is due to the limitation of my DP-cable.
View attachment 248709

To configure, I used SwitchResX.

UPD 16.04.2017: I ordered a cable mini DP to DP 1.4 to get the full resolution 5120 x 2880 @ 60HZ in the end.

So, you meant New single DP1.4 cable is working with Alpine Ridge?

So for Nvidia: two DP goes to Two mDP of AR card. And one of TH3(#1, or #2) goes to my 5k monitor.
Yes, this should work in Windows. Nvidia does not support 5K very well in macOS, except for the Dell 5K which is known to work (after turning off the display and turning it on again after startup is done in macOS).

For HD 530: One Dp and USB-c (this case I need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 cable) to Two mDP goes to my 5k monitor.
No, you need a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or adapter. The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is only for Thunderbolt signals - it does not pass DisplayPort signals (except as part of the Thunderbolt stream). If you have a Thunderbolt 3 port, and you use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, then you would also need to use a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort adapter which can convert a DisplayPort stream of Thunderbolt to DisplayPort signals. I don't know if they make those for Thunderbolt 2 (they do for Thunderbolt 3) - but the second Thunderbolt port of a Thunderbolt dock will work.

I have tested this in Windows on my Z170X Gaming 7 and was able to get 5K at 60 Hz on my Dell 5K display from the HD 530 graphics. You need two DisplayPort cables. I have tested the following:
1) One DisplayPort
cable from the DisplayPort port of the motherboard.
2) From the USB-C port of the motherboard, one of the following can be used to connect a DisplayPort cable:
2a) A USB-C to DisplayPort adapter. This option works for any USB-C port that supports DisplayPort alt mode (which includes most but not all Thunderbolt 3 ports and most but not all USB-C ports that don't support Thunderbolt 3).
2b) A DisplayPort cable from a DisplayPort port of a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter. The second DisplayPort port of the adapter can be used instead of #1 above only with Thunderbolt 3 controllers that have two DisplayPort inputs (which does not include the Thunderbolt 3 controller of the Z170X Gaming 7, and some other motherboards, add-in cards, etc.).
2c) A DisplayPort cable from the second Thunderbolt port of a Thunderbolt device such as a Thunderbolt dock. If daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices, then this would be the last Thunderbolt port in the chain.

So, you meant New single DP1.4 cable is working with Alpine Ridge?
That's an old post. He ordered the cable but did not test it yet at the time of that post. A DP1.4 cable will not behave any differently as an input to a Thunderbolt add-in card because Thunderbolt 3 currently only supports DisplayPort 1.2.

So, today, I got The vega64. And it all works very well. 5k + 4k by one card. Awesome!.

Sound, Mic, Camera, Bright control. All working like real Mac.

Thank you all!!

I will wait for 10.13.2 to fix the Uginebench test and the error.

Quicksync working, FCPX no crashing, Exporting H.264 good.

I am waiting for DP 1.4 cables to test it. I know ppl said it is not going to work but I want to test it. Holy these cables are expensive!!

Thanks again!!

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 9.24.33 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 9.24.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 9.29.00 PM.png

So, today, I got The vega64. And it all works very well. 5k + 4k by one card. Awesome!.

Sound, Mic, Camera, Bright control. All working like real Mac.
To prove it's working at 5K, you need a picture of the on screen display menu (from the display, not the computer) that says 5K@60Hz. I don't think the LG 5K has that (no buttons), so the next best thing is the timing information that SwitchResX shows for the current display resolution (pixel clock, active pixels, front porch, etc.).

I am waiting for DP 1.4 cables to test it. I know ppl said it is not going to work but I want to test it. Holy these cables are expensive!!
You don't have any DP 1.4 devices so you don't need any DP 1.4 cables. I don't think there's a difference between DP 1.4 and DP 1.2 cables anyway.

To prove it's working at 5K, you need a picture of the on screen display menu (from the display, not the computer) that says 5K@60Hz. I don't think the LG 5K has that (no buttons), so the next best thing is the timing information that SwitchResX shows for the current display resolution (pixel clock, active pixels, front porch, etc.).

You don't have any DP 1.4 devices so you don't need any DP 1.4 cables. I don't think there's a difference between DP 1.4 and DP 1.2 cables anyway.

See here~ Thank you for confirming of this proof. :))

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 8.10.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 8.10.13 PM.png
    691.6 KB · Views: 262

Here is another proof in game mode. :))

I like this game and it works well in new card by 5k!!

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 8.38.44 PM.png

Very good. This is sufficient proof that you're graphics card is outputting 5K. It's interesting that the the LG 5K has a horizontal blanking half the number of pixels as the Dell 5K so that the LG 5K uses 938.25 MHz clock instead of 966.5 MHz clock.

Here is another proof in game mode. :))

The game screen shot is only proof that your frame buffer was 5K. It is possible for a frame buffer of 5K to be scaled down to an output of 4K or 2K for example. For another example, you may see an iMac with Retina display have a 3K Retina mode (actually 6K non-Retina) output to a 5K display.

Back