Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

UPD: Success
I was able to get an independent image on both monitors, but only on a LG monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz.
I guess this is due to the limitation of my DP-cable.
View attachment 248709

To configure, I used SwitchResX.

UPD 16.04.2017: I ordered a cable mini DP to DP 1.4 to get the full resolution 5120 x 2880 @ 60HZ in the end.
UPD: Success
I was able to get an independent image on both monitors, but only on a LG monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz.
I guess this is due to the limitation of my DP-cable.
View attachment 248709

To configure, I used SwitchResX.

UPD 16.04.2017: I ordered a cable mini DP to DP 1.4 to get the full resolution 5120 x 2880 @ 60HZ in the end.

I am using a gtx1080TI + asrok thunderbolt3 AIC with the same LG Display, But got black screen , any idea?

Okay so I need a little help, I have the card in and the driver loads, but I can't get it to turn on the display, I can only remote into in and when I try to check the display I am getting:

View attachment 282168

Any ideas, thanks!

same as me. Did you fix it?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey, buyjoey.
Could you take a picture of the back of the PC with the cables?
Hey,

So the same guide from others.

Two DP to mDP cable connect AR adaptor to Vega's first and second DP output. AR TH1 goes to 5K monitor.
One regular 1.2 DP to DP cable from Vega's third DP output to my 4k monitor.

In Bios, PCIe3 which is my AR adaptor added should be the primary display. (It makes my 5k monitor works with all other features.)

Sorry can't take a picture for that now.

hopefully it helped!

Joe

In Bios, PCIe3 which is my AR adaptor added should be the primary display. (It makes my 5k monitor works with all other features.)
This is wrong. Primary display refers to the graphics card. If setting the primary display to the graphics card doesn't work, then something weird is going on and you need to talk to your motherboard manufacturer because that's a bug. If setting the primary display to AR actually does something, then wouldn't you expect a similar setting "Built in Thunderbolt" instead of "PCIe3" for motherboards with built in Thunderbolt controllers? No such thing.

AR does not create the display connections. It just pipes it from the graphics card through the Thunderbolt cable.

The BIOS will see your PCIe3 setting, find no graphics card there, then spend time searching for a graphics card. It would be more efficient to set the primary display to the graphics card.

This is wrong. Primary display refers to the graphics card. If setting the primary display to the graphics card doesn't work, then something weird is going on and you need to talk to your motherboard manufacturer because that's a bug. If setting the primary display to AR actually does something, then wouldn't you expect a similar setting "Built in Thunderbolt" instead of "PCIe3" for motherboards with built in Thunderbolt controllers? No such thing.

AR does not create the display connections. It just pipes it from the graphics card through the Thunderbolt cable.

The BIOS will see your PCIe3 setting, find no graphics card there, then spend time searching for a graphics card. It would be more efficient to set the primary display to the graphics card.
But it is inly works with pcie3 as primary for camera and mic. With pcie1 also work for display but no other functions. Thats why i am using pcie3 as primary and it works fine at boot.

But it is inly works with pcie3 as primary for camera and mic. With pcie1 also work for display but no other functions. Thats why i am using pcie3 as primary and it works fine at boot.

Hmm. the same situation with Asrock AIC and mobo, the AIC's thunderbolt 3 only works at the second pic-e slot which is not directly conctrolled by CPU.

The GC-ALPINE RIDGE must go in PCIEX4 ("PCIe 3 Slot") for the USB and PCIe functionality to work but the BIOS setting for primary graphics should point to "PCIe 1 Slot" (PCIEX16) where the graphics card is located.

If you're saying the USB and PCIe functionality of a Thunderbolt add-in card in slot PCIEX4 changes because of the BIOS "Initial Display Output" setting, then that is an issue you should report to GIGABYTE. Without moving the GC-ALPINE RIDGE card from PCIEX4, what is the behavior for all three different settings (PCIe Slot 1, PCIe Slot 2, PCIe Slot 3)? Boot to Windows first for each setting, then to macOS.

The GC-ALPINE RIDGE must go in PCIEX4 ("PCIe 3 Slot") for the USB and PCIe functionality to work but the BIOS setting for primary graphics should point to "PCIe 1 Slot" (PCIEX16) where the graphics card is located.

If you're saying the USB and PCIe functionality of a Thunderbolt add-in card in slot PCIEX4 changes because of the BIOS "Initial Display Output" setting, then that is an issue you should report to GIGABYTE. Without moving the GC-ALPINE RIDGE card from PCIEX4, what is the behavior for all three different settings (PCIe Slot 1, PCIe Slot 2, PCIe Slot 3)? Boot to Windows first for each setting, then to macOS.
I think you misunderstand it.

Vega is installed in PCIe1 which is primary display I use. I am even enabled iGPU but not connected any display with it.

So, if I chose PCIe1 as primary in BIOS, my second monitor show up boot logo since I chose PCIe1.
But if I chose PCIe3 as primary in BIOS, my first monitor shows up boot logo but because this monitor connected to Vega, Vega is primary display card. But some reason, it is not working USB and the functions(Camera, mic, speakers) in UltraFine 5K monitor unless I choose other PCIe slot.

And I read one of guide of 5K UltaFine set up which is not official and perfect but it works anyway :))

It might be bug or whatever as like you said, but it is the best way so far.

I do not have other problems so far.

Back