Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Ok thanks!
Okay so I need a little help, I have the card in and the driver loads, but I can't get it to turn on the display, I can only remote into in and when I try to check the display I am getting:

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.12.13 PM.png

Any ideas, thanks!

Hey, I haven't actually tried a new build with the LG 5K screen, but i'm planning to once I see someone getting it to work with an Nvidia card :)

just wondering, what is the output of this terminal command with the screen connected, vs with no screen connected:

$ system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

(found it on https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-show-connected-displays-monitors-resolutions)
I get the same thing if you go into System Information and look under the Graphics/Display category:

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 2.22.45 PM.png

Yep that seems to be the same info as the commandline tool i posted.

So if you disconnect the screen, it isn't listed anymore in System Information? (Just to verify it is actually the LG 5k that is listed)

FWIW, on my Macbook, the LG display is reported as follows (I'm on Sierra 10.12.6)

(Note the 30-Bit color)

Radeon Pro 455:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 455
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67ef
Revision ID: 0x00c7
ROM Revision: 113-C980AF-908
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.908
Metal: Supported
Displays:

LG UltraFine:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Last edited:
Yep that seems to be the same info as the commandline tool i posted.

So if you disconnect the screen, it isn't listed anymore in System Information? (Just to verify it is actually the LG 5k that is listed)

FWIW, on my Macbook, the LG display is reported as follows (I'm on Sierra 10.12.6)

(Note the 30-Bit color)

Radeon Pro 455:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 455
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67ef
Revision ID: 0x00c7
ROM Revision: 113-C980AF-908
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.908
Metal: Supported
Displays:

LG UltraFine:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: DisplayPort

So what I did is go get an RX 480 graphics card, which I had working before and I can confirm it's still working @ 5k and the graphics card reports as the correct one in addition the monitor also reports properly:

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 3.44.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 3.44.33 PM.png

So what I can confirm for my system on High Sierra with a GC-Alpine Ridge card installed:

1. RX Vega 64 boots to full 5k with no hardware acceleration leading to slow performance and a lot of crashes when using basic stuff like Chrome.

2. GeForce 1080 doesn't boot the monitor at all, although I can login remotely from another Mac and see what appears to be a very nice resolution, but the monitor is not recognized; I tested it out with another 1080p Dell monitor over HDMI and it worked fine.

3. An RX 580 works perfectly @5k and although some small things like brightness controls on the keyboard don't work as well as sound, none of that matters as I have external speakers and the brightness is all the way up so that works for me.

Hopefully we'll see an update that makes the Vega be able to use hardware acceleration shortly.

Did you also try nv_spanmodepolicy=1

Back