Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Wow that's amazing! If you try the heaven benchmark does it work properly with antialiasing on?

Wow that's amazing! If you try the heaven benchmark does it work properly with antialiasing on?

Okay I can now report a fully functional LG 5k setup with a Vega 64 card running 10.13.2 beta 1 (17C60c). Heaven benchmark now works with anti aliasing and all electron based apps and chrome appear to work with gpu acceleration, I've been using all of this for a few hours with 0 issues.

The only kext files I am using are FakeSMC and Lilu (be sure to update to 1.2.1 as of this writing it isn't available on the release list on GitHub but can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/329143-pre-release-macos-high-sierra-10132/?p=2526313).

My final setup:

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel I76700K
Graphics: RX Vega 64
Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge (one card)

This is awesome!
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 10.45.01 AM.png

Okay I can now report a fully functional LG 5k setup with a Vega 64 card running 10.13.2 beta 1 (17C60c). Heaven benchmark now works with anti aliasing and all electron based apps and chrome appear to work with gpu acceleration, I've been using all of this for a few hours with 0 issues.

The only kext files I am using are FakeSMC and Lilu (be sure to update to 1.2.1 as of this writing it isn't available on the release list on GitHub but can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/329143-pre-release-macos-high-sierra-10132/?p=2526313).

My final setup:

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel I76700K
Graphics: RX Vega 64
Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge (one card)

This is awesome!
View attachment 290077

Congrats!! I am buying used 5k ultra fine monitor soon, and hope it is working fully like yours.

Is that other functions well working? like audio and brightness?

And it is also working with Windows?

It seems like no working with Nvidia card?

Volume works, brightness doesn't but I like it at full brightness so that works for me.

It works great on window.

It didn't work with NVidia when I tried it earlier. Since the iMac Pro will have the Vega cards seems like the best bet overall.

I hopefully it is working as well in Nvidia,,,but so sad.

So, today I got the 5k apple monitor, and since my MB is not support AlpineRidge add-on card, I just connect the thunderbolt cable between the Apple monitor and my MB's USB-c. Another monitor goes to my Titan by DP cable as well.

Working all monitor without any trick. Well, I just found all functions in The LG 5k monitor well working.

So HD 530 is support up to 4k not 5k. Sad.

///////If you don't have AMD card, sadly I guess 5k is useless. but at least you can use it with your internal graphics.

Interesting thing is, in Bios I have to go iGPU as primary then All functions working.(sound, brightness,camera) but if you go non iGPU as primary in my case is TitanXp, The both monitors working but 5k LG's functions are disabled.///// <<< Ignore this.

If you use Nvidia gpu as main = Bios primary non iGPU + Display arrangement goes to Nvidia.
If you use igpu as main = Bios primary iGPU + Display arrangement goes to HD 530.

Then no happen with sound or other issues.

So only iGPU is the way for using this monitor as like real Mac.

I am waiting my new MB which is support AR add-on card. Then I will test it with my titanXP. Hopefully 5k is enable on the Nvidia.

Cheers!

p.s I read Nvidia card is not working with AR but, just like my post, try iGPU method.
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 8.11.59 PM.png

Last edited:
So, today I got the 5k apple monitor, and since my MB is not support AlpineRidge add-on card, I just connect the thunderbolt cable between the Apple monitor and my MB's USB-c. Another monitor goes to my Titan by DP cable as well.

Working all monitor without any trick. Well, I just found all functions in The LG 5k monitor well working.

So HD 530 is support up to 4k not 5k. Sad.

If you don't have AMD card, sadly I guess 5k is useless. but at least you can use it with your internal graphics.

I am waiting my new MB which is support AR add-on card. Then I will test it with my titanXP. Hopefully 5k is enable on the Nvidia.

p.s I read Nvidia card is not working with AR but, just like my post, try iGPU method.
A Thunderbolt chip can have 8 lanes of DisplayPort input (supports two 4K 60 Hz displays or one 5K display) but some motherboards like the Z170X Gaming 7 only connect 4 lanes (supports only one 4K display).

You can use a Thunderbolt add-in card in a motherboard that doesn't support Thunderbolt add-in cards to do DisplayPort conversion to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode (4K 60 Hz DisplayPort only, or 4K 30 Hz DisplayPort and USB hub), or single stream (4K 60 Hz) or dual stream (two 4K 60 Hz, or one 5K 60 Hz) over Thunderbolt. It just won't allow using the other functions of the display that require PCI tunneling (audio, camera, brightness, etc.). Brightness might work using one of the DDCCTL apps.

Your motherboard with Intel graphics could connect USB-C to DisplayPort and DisplayPort to a GC-ALPINE RIDGE card (two DisplayPort inputs) and get 5K maybe in Windows, depending on the Windows Intel graphics drivers. The Nvidia graphics drivers don't do 5K well. Nvidia can do 5K on a Dell 5K display but has problems (doesn't work?) with other 5K displays. I'm not sure about the current status of Intel graphics in macOS. Does it support two 4K displays? Does it support Dell 5K? LG 5K?

Interesting thing is, in Bios I have to go iGPU as primary then All functions working.(sound, brightness,camera) but if you go non iGPU as primary in my case is TitanXp, The both monitors working but 5k LG's functions are disabled.
It's strange that the primary graphics is affecting your Thunderbolt PCI tunneling capability. Well, maybe it's not surprising for Hackintosh - it's an issue that happens without reason often. Maybe the Thunderbolt chip works better when receiving a DisplayPort input early in the boot process? Sometimes making it work in Windows first then booting to macOS makes the PCI tunneling work in macOS.

Check the latest posts of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE thread for more about PCI. If the NHI device is missing, then probably all the other PCI devices are missing and you have to reboot to Windows or something to make it appear again.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gc-alpine-ridge-in-hands.206821/page-19

I think we need to get the Thunderbolt drivers working in macOS to make pci tunneling more reliable after a boot. Or a kernel extension to turn it on at least. The Linux Thunderbolt drivers might have a clue (I don't know how well they work). It would be interesting to find the part of the firmware that enables Thunderbolt.

Ok, So yesterday was horrible. I thought HD530 + Nvidia with 5k LG is working (only for 4k on HD530)
But when I hot swap my Nvidia DP cable then both monitor gone to black. after that I can enable 5k monitor on.

taking some time to figure out and Figured it again in windows. I am not sure but I think I need AR add-on card installed to enable this monitor at least for power on.

I removed the add-on card after I have several boot cuz I thought I don't need it. Any cable were not connecting on that card.
And actually, it was working well without that card for some time even booting several times.

I don't know I am not expert so I have to wait the new MB z270x which has TH header. Then I can try 2xmDP - TH3 method.

on Z170x gaming 7, Alpine Ridge does not working 2 xmDP -TH3 method. no signal.

No thunderbolt attached sing in System profile :((

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.05 AM.png
    112 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.21 AM.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.31 AM.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.42 AM.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.01.52 AM.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 155
A Thunderbolt chip can have 8 lanes of DisplayPort input (supports two 4K 60 Hz displays or one 5K display) but some motherboards like the Z170X Gaming 7 only connect 4 lanes (supports only one 4K display).

You can use a Thunderbolt add-in card in a motherboard that doesn't support Thunderbolt add-in cards to do DisplayPort conversion to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode (4K 60 Hz DisplayPort only, or 4K 30 Hz DisplayPort and USB hub), or single stream (4K 60 Hz) or dual stream (two 4K 60 Hz, or one 5K 60 Hz) over Thunderbolt. It just won't allow using the other functions of the display that require PCI tunneling (audio, camera, brightness, etc.). Brightness might work using one of the DDCCTL apps.

Your motherboard with Intel graphics could connect USB-C to DisplayPort and DisplayPort to a GC-ALPINE RIDGE card (two DisplayPort inputs) and get 5K maybe in Windows, depending on the Windows Intel graphics drivers. The Nvidia graphics drivers don't do 5K well. Nvidia can do 5K on a Dell 5K display but has problems (doesn't work?) with other 5K displays. I'm not sure about the current status of Intel graphics in macOS. Does it support two 4K displays? Does it support Dell 5K? LG 5K?

It's strange that the primary graphics is affecting your Thunderbolt PCI tunneling capability. Well, maybe it's not surprising for Hackintosh - it's an issue that happens without reason often. Maybe the Thunderbolt chip works better when receiving a DisplayPort input early in the boot process? Sometimes making it work in Windows first then booting to macOS makes the PCI tunneling work in macOS.

Check the latest posts of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE thread for more about PCI. If the NHI device is missing, then probably all the other PCI devices are missing and you have to reboot to Windows or something to make it appear again.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gc-alpine-ridge-in-hands.206821/page-19

I think we need to get the Thunderbolt drivers working in macOS to make pci tunneling more reliable after a boot. Or a kernel extension to turn it on at least. The Linux Thunderbolt drivers might have a clue (I don't know how well they work). It would be interesting to find the part of the firmware that enables Thunderbolt.

So I just figured out Non iGP U primary is working as well. See my post previous I edited.

Back