Contribute
Register

Lenovo Y510p + Mavericks Post Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Ideapad Y510p
CPU
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Graphics
IntelHD-4600 Integrated, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB (non-working w/ OS X)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,

I've seen a few threads on this laptop and I'm happy to say that I've had some success with it. I have a few questions as far as post installation for my hardware... I'm aware that OS X does not support Intel WiFi cards :/ so the next idea is to upgrade the card with something compatible. Problem is this laptop has a locked BIOS and a whitelist of hardware it accepts. I really don't want to void my warranty by flashing a modded/patched BIOS, so I'm really hoping one of the whitelisted cards will work natively.....

original

Could anyone tell me if any of these cards work natively or am I better off getting a usb adapter? Maybe even show me where to check this? I don't really want to sacrifice one of my usb ports..

Other than wifi, I still can't seem to find a way to use my Nvidia GT-755m with mavericks. When i boot with flags (-f -v) it shows it sees my Nvidia card has 0gb when it has 2gb. I think I am using integrated (boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=12 -f -v) which seemed a bit choppy until messed around in the color settings under System Prefrences > Display which seemed to fix it...we shall see. Also I don't think power management works for it. Shows my battery percentage but dies pretty quickly (although I am running 2 HDDs in this laptop; separate drive for Mac) and sleep function does not seem to work. I've been working on this for 5 days collectively and have had a hell of a ride!!

There are way too many to thank for the installation help!! And many thanks in advance for helping me with this :)

Hello all,

I've seen a few threads on this laptop and I'm happy to say that I've had some success with it. I have a few questions as far as post installation for my hardware... I'm aware that OS X does not support Intel WiFi cards :/ so the next idea is to upgrade the card with something compatible. Problem is this laptop has a locked BIOS and a whitelist of hardware it accepts. I really don't want to void my warranty by flashing a modded/patched BIOS, so I'm really hoping one of the whitelisted cards will work natively.....

original

Could anyone tell me if any of these cards work natively or am I better off getting a usb adapter?

If the "Ltn BCM4352" is really BCM94352HMB [14e4:43b1], then yes...

Hard to tell until you have the card in hand and installed.

Other than wifi, I still can't seem to find a way to use my Nvidia GT-755m with mavericks. When i boot with flags (-f -v) it shows it sees my Nvidia card has 0gb when it has 2gb. I think I am using integrated (boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=12 -f -v) which seemed a bit choppy until messed around in the color settings under System Prefrences > Display which seemed to fix it...we shall see.

Dual-GPU switched graphics (Optimus in your case) are not supported.

Also I don't think power management works for it. Shows my battery percentage but dies pretty quickly (although I am running 2 HDDs in this laptop; separate drive for Mac) and sleep function does not seem to work. I've been working on this for 5 days collectively and have had a hell of a ride!!

You can disable nvidia via DSDT/SSDT edits. Usually relatively easy, but sometimes gets involved...

Thanks for the swift reply and all the help RehabMan!!! :headbang:

I still don't have audio...
tried the AppleHDA.kext from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/112575-10-9-lenovo-y510p.html

and I tried the VoodooHDA.kext from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293622-laptop-lenovo-ideapad-y510p-109-mavericks/page-3

(Again I went with the Unibeast for install and is not a distro it's official) I used SR Tools to install, fix permissions and reboot. Nothing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

EDIT: Pretty sure I've enabled integrated correctly now... Deleted all NVIDIA, GeForce and IntelHD kext (except IntelHD5000.kext) and booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=12 -f -v and it seems ok now :)

Thanks for the swift reply and all the help RehabMan!!! :headbang:

I still don't have audio...
tried the AppleHDA.kext from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/112575-10-9-lenovo-y510p.html

and I tried the VoodooHDA.kext from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293622-laptop-lenovo-ideapad-y510p-109-mavericks/page-3

(Again I went with the Unibeast for install and is not a distro it's official) I used SR Tools to install, fix permissions and reboot. Nothing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

EDIT: Pretty sure I've enabled integrated correctly now... Deleted all NVIDIA, GeForce and IntelHD kext (except IntelHD5000.kext) and booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=12 -f -v and it seems ok now :)

Did you do DSDT patches for AppleHDA?

DSDT patches you need for AppleHDA: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
Apply: "Audio Layout 12" (change layout-id from 12 to the layout-id used by the patched AppleHDA)
Apply: "IRQ Fix"

Did you do DSDT patches for AppleHDA?

DSDT patches you need for AppleHDA: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
Apply: "Audio Layout 12" (change layout-id from 12 to the layout-id used by the patched AppleHDA)
Apply: "IRQ Fix"

How exactly could I do that? I've downloaded your latest version of MaciASL and setup the "Laptop Patches" source. When I hit compile I was met with 201 errors 0 warnings 8 remarks 44 and optimizations. I don't know the first thing about fixing these errors or patching dsdt.

I will do a bit more research on this to try and get an idea but I would really appreciate your guidance in this area...

edit: okay so AFTER I click the patch button and feel reeeeally silly :lol: I'm still trying to figure out how to find the audio layout of the downloaded AppleHDA.kext...

How exactly could I do that? I've downloaded your latest version of MaciASL and setup the "Laptop Patches" source. When I hit compile I was met with 201 errors 0 warnings 8 remarks 44 and optimizations. I don't know the first thing about fixing these errors or patching dsdt.

Upload your DSDT.

edit: okay so AFTER I click the patch button and feel reeeeally silly :lol: I'm still trying to figure out how to find the audio layout of the downloaded AppleHDA.kext...

Find your codec id in AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext. The associated layout-id is there...

Upload your DSDT.

I could only save as disassembled... Thanks for your help.

Am I able to show package content in AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext and view my codec that way? or is there a way to find it in the dsdt thru maciASL? i feel like a total n00b lol

Attachments

• System DSDT-Chevy792.zip
    34 KB · Views: 129
I could only save as disassembled... Thanks for your help.

Am I able to show package content in AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext and view my codec that way? or is there a way to find it in the dsdt thru maciASL? i feel like a total n00b lol

There is no audio codec information provided in DSDT...

Yes, you use Show Package Contents to navigate inside kexts. Then look at the Info.plist... You will need to know your audio codec id (in decimal). You should already have your audio codec dump from Linux...

You will get a better disassembly of your DSDT (and SSDTs) by disassembling them as a group...

To get a proper disassembly of your DSDT (and SSDTs) you will need all of them. They are available in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables and /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/dynamic in Linux.

Place all SSDT/DSDT in a single directory and use a recent build of iasl to disassemble:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...5-buggy-dsdt-asus-q501la-help-needed-iasl.zip
Code:
cd "to directory where you placed all SSDT/DSDT"
iasl -da *.aml

Then work with the resulting *.dsl files.

There is no audio codec information provided in DSDT...

Yes, you use Show Package Contents to navigate inside kexts. Then look at the Info.plist... You will need to know your audio codec id (in decimal). You should already have your audio codec dump from Linux...

You will get a better disassembly of your DSDT (and SSDTs) by disassembling them as a group...

To get a proper disassembly of your DSDT (and SSDTs) you will need all of them. They are available in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables and /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/dynamic in Linux.

Place all SSDT/DSDT in a single directory and use a recent build of iasl to disassemble:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...5-buggy-dsdt-asus-q501la-help-needed-iasl.zip
Code:
cd "to directory where you placed all SSDT/DSDT"
iasl -da *.aml

Then work with the resulting *.dsl files.

Ok so I'm going to boot into a linux environment later to get the dump. I missed this step completely. As far as gathering all of the DSDT/SSDT into a single directory, is there a specific directory or do I just make my own (like a new folder on my desktop?) Also am I supposed to stay in a Linux environment to compile via iasl?

I owe you a few beers :thumbup:

Ok so I'm going to boot into a linux environment later to get the dump. I missed this step completely. As far as gathering all of the DSDT/SSDT into a single directory, is there a specific directory or do I just make my own (like a new folder on my desktop?) Also am I supposed to stay in a Linux environment to compile via iasl?

I owe you a few beers :thumbup:

Any directory will do. The only thing you do in Linux is gather the files. All the rest is done in OS X...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back