Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo W541
CPU
Intel i7-4810Mq
Graphics
HD4600
Hi,

I have Lenovo W541 with a docking station. I've managed to install El Capitan, it look fine, but the external monitors do not work (on no port). I need Displayports working. The graphics is Intel 4600. CPU is 4810mq.
Tried to search and apply different approaches, but without success. Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have Lenovo W541 with a docking station. I've managed to install El Capitan, it look fine, but the external monitors do not work (on no port). I need Displayports working. The graphics is Intel 4600. CPU is 4810mq.
Tried to search and apply different approaches, but without success. Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Thanks. So I updated the signature. Can anyone help me now, please?

Thanks. So I updated the signature. Can anyone help me now, please?

It is possible your external DP ports are connected directly to the Nvidia. In which case, you'll need to get the Nvidia chip working correctly (as well as Intel for the internal display). You should verify in Windows.

In BIOS, there are settings where I can specify that the ports are attached to Intel HD ("In Standard mode, Integrated Graphics turns on dock displays in Windows environment"). Not sure what happens in OS X ...

It is possible to have the Nvidia chip working? I thought it has to be disabled (because of Optimus).

In BIOS, there are settings where I can specify that the ports are attached to Intel HD ("In Standard mode, Integrated Graphics turns on dock displays in Windows environment"). Not sure what happens in OS X ...

You can experiment.

It is possible to have the Nvidia chip working? I thought it has to be disabled (because of Optimus).

It is possible you don't have Optimus, and instead have dedicated dual-GPU (Nvidia dedicated to external ports, Intel dedicated to internal).

Hi, I'm afraid there is Optimus (e.g. http://support.lenovo.com/cz/en/downloads/DS037642)
I tried to activate nvidia, but the system always reboots during startup.

Is there anything else I could try to make the displayports working?

Some more info: When I connect the monitor to the laptop with running El Capitan, the monitor's control diode switches on and laptop's display blinks (goes to black and then shows the picture again). But the monitor then goes to sleep. The monitor works fine with Windows on the same laptop and also with Hackintosh on another laptop.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm afraid there is Optimus (e.g. http://support.lenovo.com/cz/en/downloads/DS037642)
I tried to activate nvidia, but the system always reboots during startup.

Is there anything else I could try to make the displayports working?

Some more info: When I connect the monitor to the laptop with running El Capitan, the monitor's control diode switches on and laptop's display blinks (goes to black and then shows the picture again). But the monitor then goes to sleep. The monitor works fine with Windows on the same laptop and also with Hackintosh on another laptop.

You should verify Optimus vs. dedicated in Windows. You can't trust OEM documentation.

You should verify Optimus vs. dedicated in Windows..

Sorry for the stupid question, but how can I verify it? I was searching for some tool, but didn't find any. NVidia control panel and CPU-Z do not say anything about Optimus. Does it mean it is not there? Or is there some better way to detect it ...

Sorry for the stupid question, but how can I verify it? I was searching for some tool, but didn't find any. NVidia control panel and CPU-Z do not say anything about Optimus. Does it mean it is not there? Or is there some better way to detect it ...

Properties on the desktop of the display connected will give you the details of the graphics card that is connected to the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back