Contribute
Register

Lenovo W541, docking station, Displayport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attached three photos ... "good" for 0x0d220003, the system starts. "bad" and "bad_big" (with bigger font, but less logs) for 0x0a260006, the system reboots during startup right at this moment. Sorry for the quality of the pictures with the small font (screenshots from videos).

Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 190
  • bad_big.jpg
    bad_big.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 176
  • good.jpg
    good.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 161
  • EFI.ZIP
    3.9 MB · Views: 110
I've attached three photos ... "good" for 0x0d220003, the system starts. "bad" and "bad_big" (with bigger font, but less logs) for 0x0a260006, the system reboots during startup right at this moment. Sorry for the quality of the pictures with the small font (screenshots from videos).

Thank you very much for your help.

Note that CustomEDID has no effect without InjectEDID=true.
Try with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.
Make sure you're testing without the docking station.

EDID - I know, I was playing with it and it had no effect.
I already tried the second driver - will try again.
And without dock - I do not have the ports :( just thunderbolt 2

But will try again anyway

Last edited:
As I was afraid, these steps didn't help.
Regarding EDID - is it possible to inject it for the external monitor? Because if I use Clover, the EDID is applied to the internal display of the laptop.

Should I now try hacking DVMT-prealloc? Just intuitively, I'm not sure if this would help. My internal display has rather big resolution (2880x1620) and El Capitan works perfectly with it (not artefacts, full resolution, etc.)

Or anything else I could try?

Just a naive idea: Are you, rehabman, living somewhere in Europe? Could I visit you with my laptop and compensate you for your help? :)

Edit: it is possible to switch off the internal display (more precisely: boot with external display). But even in this case, at the end of the os x boot process the monitor becomes black (if I do nothing) or the system freezes (if I inject EDID copied from another hackintosh which works with this monitor).

Last edited:
Now I feel a bit stupid :)

Make sure you're testing without the docking station.

This was the key. The laptop has a thunderbolt port. I didn't realise that it has the same connector as mini display port. And when I tried connecting a mini display port cable to it - it works with the monitor!
So big thanks, rehabman. Now the laptop has turned from "not very usable as a primary computer" to "usable". Great.

Still, it is not very nice. I have to connect the cable to the laptop directly, although I have a docking station. Further, I have two monitors and this way I can use only one. Is there something I could try to make the ports on the docking station working?

Apparently, they are not dead completely. When I connect the monitors to them, the monitors appear in the registry and the EDID is correct. Just the picture is black ....

Apparently, they are not dead completely. When I connect the monitors to them, the monitors appear in the registry and the EDID is correct. Just the picture is black ....

Try setting resolution in SysPrefs->Displays. You may need a display override.

Now I feel a bit stupid :)

This was the key. The laptop has a thunderbolt port. I didn't realise that it has the same connector as mini display port. And when I tried connecting a mini display port cable to it - it works with the monitor!
So big thanks, rehabman. Now the laptop has turned from "not very usable as a primary computer" to "usable". Great.

Still, it is not very nice. I have to connect the cable to the laptop directly, although I have a docking station. Further, I have two monitors and this way I can use only one. Is there something I could try to make the ports on the docking station working?

Docking station will probably require framebuffer patching (if it can work at all).

Last edited:
Try setting resolution in SysPrefs->Displays. You may need a display override.

I do not see the display connected via docking station in the System Preferences. Just in the registry via ioRegistryExplorer.

What kind of display override you mean? I found this:
https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862

Docking station will probably require framebuffer patching (if it can work at all).

I somehow feel that I'm at the end now :( Don't know how to proceed. Is this related to DVMT-prealloc thing? This is too scary for me (hacking the BIOS).
Anyway, if I ever solve this problem, I'll write about it here.

I do not see the display connected via docking station in the System Preferences. Just in the registry via ioRegistryExplorer.

What kind of display override you mean? I found this:
https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862

A display override file (is really a plist) can provide an edited EDID (and other data).
It is identified by the system via its vendor/display-id.

I somehow feel that I'm at the end now :( Don't know how to proceed. Is this related to DVMT-prealloc thing? This is too scary for me (hacking the BIOS).
Anyway, if I ever solve this problem, I'll write about it here.

If you see the EDID in ioreg, then at least it is detecting the right port...
Probably not DVMT-prealloc related, but I suppose anything is possible.

A display override file (is really a plist) can provide an edited EDID (and other data).
It is identified by the system via its vendor/display-id.

Do you think, does it make sense trying to create a display override file based on the information from another hackintosh or a real mac or the same Lenovo (using the port that works) to make docking station ports working? Is there any guide?

Thanks

Do you think, does it make sense trying to create a display override file based on the information from another hackintosh or a real mac or the same Lenovo (using the port that works) to make docking station ports working? Is there any guide?

Thanks

Display overrides are specific to the display you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back