Contribute
Register

Lenovo W541, docking station, Displayport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Display overrides are specific to the display you have.

I know. I mean creating display override for the display that does not work with my lenovo docking station based on the data from another mac that works with this monitor...

I know. I mean creating display override for the display that does not work with my lenovo docking station based on the data from another mac that works with this monitor...

I think the display override data is only specific to the monitor, not the Mac...

I upgraded to Sierra (fresh install and restore from backup, upgrade didn't work) hoping that the monitor problem could be solved. But now it is even worse :( The ports on the docking station still do not work. But now also the mini display port on the laptop doesn't work most of the time (strangely, sometimes it does work). When it does not work, the monitor complains that the laptop sends wrong resolution / timing / frequency / whatever. It is different than the docking station ports - for these, the correct EDID is detected, but the monitor goes sleep (without complaints). It seems to me that when the laptop mini display port does not work, the OS deals with the monitor the same way as with the internal display (for example, it offers the same resolutions in System preferences for the monitor as for the internal display).... Strange.

UPDATE: solved :) The problem was with the settings of the new version of Clover. There was EDID injected and its value was 0. I just unchecked this settings and now it works. When this setting was on, the external monitor had the same EDID as the internal display in the registry!

Last edited:
Interesting update: After upgrading macOS to 10.2.4, the video ports on the docking station started to work ... display port, dvi and vga (not hdmi). But the maximum resolution I can get from any of them is 1920x1200 (which is not enough - my monitor has 2560x1600). If I use SwitchResX, it allows me to set 2560x1600, but the picture is blurry and the real resolution is still max 1920x1200.

So I continue to use mini display port directly on the laptop, but I hope the problem can be solved one day.

Interesting update: After upgrading macOS to 10.2.4, the video ports on the docking station started to work ... display port, dvi and vga (not hdmi). But the maximum resolution I can get from any of them is 1920x1200 (which is not enough - my monitor has 2560x1600). If I use SwitchResX, it allows me to set 2560x1600, but the picture is blurry and the real resolution is still max 1920x1200.

So I continue to use mini display port directly on the laptop, but I hope the problem can be solved one day.

How is your monitor connected?
Did you patch the framebuffer such that the connector-type matches the physical connector?

How is your monitor connected?
Did you patch the framebuffer such that the connector-type matches the physical connector?

I tried all the ports. Normally, I connect the monitor using Thunderbolt/DisplayPort mini connector which is on the laptop and it works well with full resolution. The problem is that this way, I can connect only one monitor and have to plug/unplug the cable too often which is inconvenient and I'm afraid about the port (two cables already broke, if the port on the laptop breaks as well, I'm in trouble).

So I would like to use docking stations ports (there are 2 displayports). I don't remember if I patched the framebuffer (maybe, some time ago, I tried everything), but should this be necessary when the monitor works normally using the laptop port?

I tried all the ports. Normally, I connect the monitor using Thunderbolt/DisplayPort mini connector which is on the laptop and it works well with full resolution. The problem is that this way, I can connect only one monitor and have to plug/unplug the cable too often which is inconvenient and I'm afraid about the port (two cables already broke, if the port on the laptop breaks as well, I'm in trouble).

So I would like to use docking stations ports (there are 2 displayports). I don't remember if I patched the framebuffer (maybe, some time ago, I tried everything), but should this be necessary when the monitor works normally using the laptop port?

You should check in Windows to determine which graphics device is actually handling the ports you're trying...

You should check in Windows to determine which graphics device is actually handling the ports you're trying...

I've disabled the standalone graphics card. So it's Intel 4600

I've disabled the standalone graphics card. So it's Intel 4600

You will likely need to patch the framebuffer. And you may not be able to get them all working at once.

@ardako hello,I have the same thinkpad machine,could you share EFI? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back