Contribute
Register

Lenovo V330 - 15ikb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I've seen KabyLake-R work ok with Skylake spoof...
I'm not convinced WhateverGreen patching works in the spoof scenarios.
Would require analyzing/debugging WhateverGreen/logs/etc.
Of course since previously we had to use the Skylake Spoof until 10.12.6.

But I'm sure it has to do something with the switch to WhateverGreen.kext.

Good thing is i discovered something, like I said when I connect the HDMI cable, HDMI Audio works, Everything is perfect on TV but the internal display is sort of stuttering (40hz or below) refresh rate like, cursor laggy etc and if i disconnect the cable the screen stays black. (have to force reboot/shutdown laptop by holding down the power button for long).

What I discovered is that if I close the laptop lid while HDMI cable plugged into TV, the image disappears and appears again on the TV, then when I open the lid after, the lag on internal display is gone, no screen flickering, no laggy cursor, I remove the HDMI cable, internal screen just blinks once and image comes back.

What could it be ?

Also, probably best to make sure the graphics kexts are in cache (use invalid ig-platform-id, not invalid device-id, so you can get them in cache). And it may be wise to create an appropriate LiluFriend.kext for the Lilu-based kexts you're using.

Will give a try to that, but since that discovery I wonder if we can come up with a solution.

I did create a LiluFriend.kext and added on it's info.plist all the Lilu based kexts there according to the description.
Not sure if it is just mental but I do have a feeling that I'm noticing a slightly faster boot time.

Of course since previously we had to use the Skylake Spoof until 10.12.6.

But I'm sure it has to do something with the switch to WhateverGreen.kext.

The only place WhateverGreen.kext is compatible with spoofing is CFL as KBL, and I think the support there is incomplete (more code review required). No support for CFL as SKL, no support for KBL as SKL.

I think I'll work on some mods to enable KBL as SKL (and test with my NUC7) just to make sure I understand the problem completely, then work on an option for CFL as SKL (and test with my NUC8). After that, I suspect the code will need a bit of a "design cleanup"...

@Sniki FYI - I had a spare 950PRO and used your config.plist to install Mojave. No issues.

@RehabMan

i did purchase a Lenovo V330-15ikb a few days ago, i do plan to buy a NVME SSD for it as it came with 1TB HDD which i did replace with a Kingston v300 120GB SSD 2.5" that i had on my old Lenovo B570e.

I was wondering how is the current state of 8th gen CPUs and iGPUs

Here are the full list of specs:
8GB DDR4 Dual Channel ram memory
Intel 8th gen Core i5 8250U CPU
Intel UHD 620 Graphics & AMD Radeon 530
15.6" Full HD Display
It does have a ELAN Touchpad
a FingerPrint Reader
2xUSB3 Ports & 2 Thunderbolt Ports
VGA, HDMI, SD Card Reader & Optical Drive
Conexant CX20751/2 Audio Codec (Dolby Audio).
Intel Wireless Card which i will replace it with my DW1560 (didn't test yet if this laptop model does have whitelist)

My concerns/questions are:
  • What is the current state of ELAN Touchpads support for macOS ?
  • What about the thunderbolt Ports ?
  • AMD Radeon 530 - switchable graphics, should propably be disabled with ACPI if im correct, just curious to ask if any of the latest macbooks have such identical card and if switchable graphics do work or not.
  • Any known compatibility issues with Intel UHD 620 ?
  • or with 8th gen CPUs (KabyLake R).
  • Since NVME drives are more problematic, i decided to wait till i receive my NVME SSD so i can install windows on it and then install macOS on the 2.5" SSD, but just in case, is there any known NVME drive that is supported on macOS without the need for your kext ?
The best answer for me is to test, but just wanted to take a brief summary of what should i expect before proceeding.

I expect a lot of work required since it's manufacturing date is Dec 2017 and as far as i have checked i didn't see a Battery status patch on your laptop DSDT Patch repo.

So what i have to do from scratch is:
  • Patch Battery Status
  • Patch Audio Codec
  • USB Port Injector
  • Disable Radeon GPU if it isn't suppported.
  • Also propably some work with Keyboard Mapping.
But im confident that i can solve these with a little guidance.

What is a unknown field for me are the listed above since i had no experience till now with them.

I might just install clover bootloader on a usb drive to just dump ACPI Tables and check them on my Lenovo B570e to have a look at what do i expect in terms of ACPI Patching and fix what i can without testing and leave the rest after installation.

How does your system work after all???
I am thinking of buying same system without a graphics card

@Sniki FYI - I had a spare 950PRO and used your config.plist to install Mojave. No issues.
You can get the latest by following my Github repo for the guide (almost done writing the guide for this laptop & others)
Guide will be up soon.
But at least for average and more advanced users you can use the files from the repo until i post the guide here.
Repo: https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/Lenovo-V330-15IKB

How does your system work after all???
I am thinking of buying same system without a graphics card
Excellent, except the Discrete GPU (Disabled) & FingerPrint Reader, everything else is working.

@RehabMan I have two questions regarding your config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist template on the repo:

1. is -disabledgfxfirmware still needed with WhateverGreen.kext on Kabylake (my case Kaby Lake-R) ?
2. is hda-gfx supposed to be on audio codec as well "PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1f,3)" in order to have HDMI Audio working with patched AppleHDA/Audio Injector.

Or you suggest AppleALC as default audio recommendation which does inject that automatically ?

1. is -disabledgfxfirmware still needed with WhateverGreen.kext on Kabylake (my case Kaby Lake-R) ?

Probably not, but I left it in just in case.

2. is hda-gfx supposed to be on audio codec as well "PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1f,3)" in order to have HDMI Audio working with patched AppleHDA/Audio Injector.

Your question regarding hda-gfx inject is answered in the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ndy-bridge-kaby-lake-and-likely-later.189495/

Or you suggest AppleALC as default audio recommendation which does inject that automatically ?

I don't like to rely on AppleALC automatic inject, nor automatic rename.

You can get the latest by following my Github repo for the guide (almost done writing the guide for this laptop & others)
Guide will be up soon.
But at least for average and more advanced users you can use the files from the repo until i post the guide here.
Repo: https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/Lenovo-V330-15IKB

Excellent, except the Discrete GPU (Disabled) & FingerPrint Reader, everything else is working.

Were you able to get the touchpad to work? I've loaded the ELAN but it still seems disabled.

@RehabMan can you just explain it a bit more "for dummies" on what does this do : https://github.com/RehabMan/VoodooTSCSync

And also is it needed/benefits.

Were you able to get the touchpad to work? I've loaded the ELAN but it still seems disabled.
My touchpad is working just fine, VoodooI2C.kext + VoodooI2CELAN.kext, Use my files to have the TPD0 patched as needed by alexandred documentation, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back