Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone!

As this is my first post on the forum I thought it fitting to introduce myself. My name is Jordan, and I have absolutely no experience in case-modding! I have been scouring the forums to build up a base knowledge and decide what my requirements will be. I have stripped down my current PC, which will provide most of the internal hardware (I hope to buy as little as possible). Eventually I would like to turn it into a proper Hackintosh running OSX (Mountain) Lion and Windows 7/8.

• Clean and simple interior.
  • Effective quiet cooling.
  • Make use of all my existing hardware.
  • Not need too much machinery, tools etc. (I have access to a dremel, power drill, angle grinder and hand tools)
  • Be cost effective.

As I said before I am new to this modding business so I hope you dont get fed up with endless questions!

I purchased a faulty G5 from Ebay, it should be here in a few days I will post some photos when it arrives.

In the mean time I will list what I will be filling the case with.

Already owned:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R
CPU - Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz
RAM - 3 x 2Gb Corsair Platinum Series 1600mhz
CPU Cooler - Akasa Nero
PSU - Corsair TX650W
Graphics Card - Palit GTX260

Storage - 2 x 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm and 1 x Samsung 2Tb
Optical Drive - LG DVD-RW

Fans - 3 x 120mm

My initial thoughts and concerns are:

Motherboard Tray - Lian Li PC60 http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2012.html . Will this work? I would buy the Mountain Mods motherboard tray but shipping to the UK is more than the motherboard tray itself. Another option is to purchase a really cheap case and make my own motherboard tray.

Fans - I have considered cooling options but once the case arrives and I fit the motherboard I shall see what space I have to work with and then decided. If I have the cash I would like to install the Antec Kuhler H2O 620 or similar.

PSU positioning:
  • At the top, in place of the existing HDD rack.
  • Fixed somewhere in the bottom.
  • Inserted into the existing PSU case with 2 or 4 60mm fans. Aside from looking neat are there any other advantages to this?

HDD rack: I plan to use the existing rack and mount it somewhere suitable.

Thats all I can think of for the moment, I feel like I have missed a few key points, but I will update accordingly.

I cant wait for G5 to arrive!

Jordan

I am using the laserhive new mAtx kit and motherboard try in my first G5 mod and can vouch for the great quality and good instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back