Contribute
Register

Is it safe and easy to upgrade to Mavericks from Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, I was wondering if it was safe and easy to update to Mavericks from Snow Leopard on my HP Probook, without losing my files and apps. I tried installing Mavericks from a Unibeast flash drive, but it wouldn't boot into the Mavericks installation, though I didn't try all of the boot flags. I noticed that the downloaded Mavericks install app allows me to attempt an upgrade straight in the Snow Leopard OS, so I was also wondering if I could do that.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :D

System specs:

2.3Ghz dual-core Intel i3 2350M Sandy Bridge processor
4GB RAM
Two 500GB HDD's
Intel HD3000 graphics

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it was safe and easy to update to Mavericks from Snow Leopard on my HP Probook, without losing my files and apps. I tried installing Mavericks from a Unibeast flash drive, but it wouldn't boot into the Mavericks installation, though I didn't try all of the boot flags. I noticed that the downloaded Mavericks install app allows me to attempt an upgrade straight in the Snow Leopard OS, so I was also wondering if I could do that.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :D

System specs:

2.3Ghz dual-core Intel i3 2350M Sandy Bridge processor
4GB RAM
Two 500GB HDD's
Intel HD3000 graphics

Any kind of upgrade involves risk. You should have a backup. The guide for updating actually mentions this.

For the 4530s there should be no boot flags required to boot the installer. You do need patience. It is slow.

You cannot upgrade via the app even though it runs. That is only works on real Macs (and maybe those hacks running Clover... not sure).

Thank you very much for your timely reply, sir. Now I tried to boot into a Unibeast Mavericks install, and it shows the Apple logo real quick then reboots my computer, so what should I do?

Make sure you have Radeon disabled as per the guide.

I don't have Radeon in my Probook version.

You are booting the installer USB created with the latest Unibeast, right? Check your other BIOS settings (should be default). Boot "-v -f" to troubleshoot ...

I believe so. I'll try that. Thanks. I think I'll also remake the unibeast USB, because as I was doing it, my CleanMyMac app starting automatically cleaning something, and I think it was on that USB, so maybe it took something I needed off of it. IDK.

Man, I tried setting my BIOS to default and re-making the Unibeast USB and I still fail to boot into the Mavericks installer. It acts like it's loading on a black screen, right after I press to boot into the USB, then it flashes the Apple logo and reboots. I really need help with this.

I have the low res one. HP Probook 4530s, 2350M i3 dual-core 2.3Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, 1366x768 resolution, Intel HD3000 graphics (no dedicated), and an after market Seagate 500GB, 7,200 RPM HDD, with the factory HDD in the upgrade bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back