Contribute
Register

Intel UHD 630 7MB issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
There won't be any future support from macOS - in my opinion. Apple simply won't make a 500-series computer, unless they surprise us with another Intel Mac.

What to do depends on your use-case. If you need Big Sur or Catalina or full access to the Apple App Store then use another, native or supported, GPU. In theory you can still disable your GTX980 using the techniques you have already used and run another GPU along side it. Many do this. If cost is a problem, do as I do and use a cheap, natively supported GT710 for macOS output.

Although I haven't posted anywhere, I have installed and run High Sierra on a 500-series/Comet Lake mix. There is a specific issue with USB3 support though so if that's important it makes for another sticking-point.
Thanks for the suggestion. Buying a graphic card is exactly what I'm considering.

And I also did some test with my build to run on High Sierra.
There are more problem other than the USB 3.0 support. Since the ethernet card on my MOBO is 225-V, it is only supported after Catalina I guess.

Thanks anyway for the informative discussion.

Thanks for the suggestion. Buying a graphic card is exactly what I'm considering.

And I also did some test with my build to run on High Sierra.
There are more problem other than the USB 3.0 support. Since the ethernet card on my MOBO is 225-V, it is only supported after Catalina I guess.

Thanks anyway for the informative discussion.

Yes, you are correct. I haven't checked the specs for your particular motherboard, but there is no support for the Intel 2.5GbE i225V Ethernet prior to Catalina. I can advise what to do in that case as I also run Mojave and there's no Ethernet i225V support there either.

There won't be any future support from macOS - in my opinion. Apple simply won't make a 500-series computer, unless they surprise us with another Intel Mac.

What to do depends on your use-case. If you need Big Sur or Catalina or full access to the Apple App Store then use another, native or supported, GPU. In theory you can still disable your GTX980 using the techniques you have already used and run another GPU along side it. Many do this. If cost is a problem, do as I do and use a cheap, natively supported GT710 for macOS output.

Although I haven't posted anywhere, I have installed and run High Sierra on a 500-series/Comet Lake mix. There is a specific issue with USB3 support though so if that's important it makes for another sticking-point.
So now I'm planning to get a GT630 as you suggested.
Although the gear is still on delivering, I'm still wondering how to get this work since I might need to have two display cables for each OS.

I've posted this question on a relevant thread:

Any idea?

No one suggested a GT 630. A GT 710 was.
Umm, I thought that GT 630 (with a GK 208 core) is supported in the later version of MacOS.

Umm, I thought that GT 630 (with a GK 208 core) is supported in the later version of MacOS.
It is but there are better choices than that for about the same amount of money.
Try finding one of these three cards.
  • GT 740 (Avoid OEM versions)
  • GT 730 (GK208 core)
  • GT 710 (GK208 core versions)

As you run a similar setup to my Z490/i9-11900K build, I thought to inform you that in my experience,
your UHD 630 should work. Accord to Ohchang > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ohchangs-build-gigabyte-z590-vision-g-i7-10700k-amd-rx580.310986/ you'll just need to use these properties for the IGPU > (SMBIOS iMac20,2 / platform-id 0300923E / device-id 923E0000)

You'll also need to add in framebuffer values into the device properties such as framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem to restore the full VRAM available for the IGPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back