Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Cool, what do you have it plugged into ? HDMI ? Thunderbolt ? Just curious.. Any sleep/wake issues ? Color tint issues ?

I am using via HDMI. My monitor is: Dell S2719DGF at 2560 x 1440 with 144 refresh rate. I used to have weird color artifacts the when I build the hackintosh at the beginning, a simple restart will fix it. It would happened randomly it seems and very rare but the restart will fix it. Actually, I haven't had it happen in a while now (about a month) so dunno if upgrading opencore, kext and/or Catalina help the issue.

Used to have a problem with shutdown, whenever I would shutdown, the computer would restart instead. I would happen every time, that was at the beginning of my built. Now, it works nicely. Sleep works too with modern standby on my BIOS. The LED flashes orange during sleep and I can wake it up by pressing the power button, no issues there.

Only issue I have is with my eGPU. I have one that I use for gaming with Windows. I have another SSD with Windows install and it works perfectly. However with the Mac, it freezes when I plug in the eGPU enclosure via Thunderbolt USB Type C connection. I tried different kext for the thunderbolt bolt posted in this thread but never gotten to work but its a minor issue for me. Since I don't do gaming nor heavy video editing on the Mac, I don't need it. I read in other forums that to get it to work depending on the video card (I got a Red Devil 5700 XT with Razer Core X) you need to firmware flash it. I wouldn't risk it so I never attempted that fix.

Hello everyone,

Glad to see this thread is alive and kicking. I updated to the lastest OpenCore 0.6.3 along with all my kext to the most recent version. I am using the latest Catalina 10.5.7 19H15 and it has been working perfectly. No issues at all and I use the computer a daily driver.

I just wanted to compare the performance of the NUC10i7 to the recently release Mac mini with M1 chip. The performance different, at least, on GeekBench 5 is pretty impressive:

My NUC10i7 hackintosh:
View attachment 496714

New MacMini 2020 M1:
View attachment 496715
MultiCore:
View attachment 496717

They are synthetic benchmarks but personally, the primary results is pretty impressive gains over the Intel Macs. Anyways, just wanted to post this. I'll keep my hackintosh for years since its an awesome little beast still and awesome little everyday computer. :)
There’s a nice write up on the new M1 processor and benchmarks over at AnnandTech.

Hi guys,

I have been out for quite some time, work, life etc... I have been also "working" on this little babies, I have found few things that maybe none of you have tried. Have any of you tried an eGPU? With no SSDT I wasn't able to make my Razer eGPU work, system would crash on HP and would just give a KP on boot, so I had to experiment yet again.

The main purpose of this "rig" is to be able to move around and have the functionality of a desktop computer, for me it needs to be able to support an eGPU, if you guys are happy with the functionality it has then that's all good.

Let me share the kext I use for correct TB XHC functionality, I hope I can get back to help a little more from now on, let me know if it works for you. BTW, I have named the device for USB on DSB2 "XHC", while trying different things I removed all traces of ACPI implementation and the system booted with device "XHC" instead of XHCI/1 or even 2, so simply change the device under DBS2 from your SSDT to "XHC" and add this kext to your OC .plist.

I have managed to get eGPU working but there is a downside, we lose HP functionality, it works on cold boot but no HP, nothing I have tried so far has made it work with any of my previous attempts, so I'll have to look further into it or just ask for help somewhere else lol. I'll share the SSDT for eGPU a tad later.

Attachments

• USBPorts-Thunderbolt.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hi @dolgarrenan thanks for your contribution, this is a kext similar to USBPorts.kext as I can see, and as I wrote in my earlier post, is totally dependent on the SSDT-xxx people inject for Thunderbolt, be it SSDT-NUC10-THUNDERBOLT-DRENAN.aml or the one I shared (after comparing it line-by-line to my work's MacBook Pro) SSDT-TITAN.aml.

This SSDT defines the ports that appear as XHC2 just like my real MacBookPro, thus subsequently needing Hackintool to re-export these correctly in a new USBPorts.kext.

@Leesureone I was reading in some other forums that people use another kext called IOElectrify (see here https://github.com/the-darkvoid/macOS-IOElectrify ) but there are no releases like Lilu or other Acidanthera's kexts, so not sure if this is stable and mature for more people to use.

Anyone already using IOElectrify.kext? And if yes, with what SSDT injected? Thanks

O.k., so I fixed my strange tin/color/contrast issues. I ended up having to force RGB and generating a new EDID override. This completely resolved those strange little issues on my HDMI connected 32" Samsung 1080p LED television. Everything looks perfect.

Also, with the updated Alpha driver on the itlwm, the wireless works great, albeit a little slower than it should be :). Like 50% probably. But hey, it works.

So, I do not think I have any outstanding issues. It runs good, however, I do notice if I have several Safari windows open and Cisco Webex with video and virtual background going, it can start to slow down a little. The virtual backgrounds in Webex are GPU / CPU pigs. Windoze included.

Hi @dolgarrenan thanks for your contribution, this is a kext similar to USBPorts.kext as I can see, and as I wrote in my earlier post, is totally dependent on the SSDT-xxx people inject for Thunderbolt, be it SSDT-NUC10-THUNDERBOLT-DRENAN.aml or the one I shared (after comparing it line-by-line to my work's MacBook Pro) SSDT-TITAN.aml.

This SSDT defines the ports that appear as XHC2 just like my real MacBookPro, thus subsequently needing Hackintool to re-export these correctly in a new USBPorts.kext.

@Leesureone I was reading in some other forums that people use another kext called IOElectrify (see here https://github.com/the-darkvoid/macOS-IOElectrify ) but there are no releases like Lilu or other Acidanthera's kexts, so not sure if this is stable and mature for more people to use.

Anyone already using IOElectrify.kext? And if yes, with what SSDT injected? Thanks
Just because a macbook has device XHC2 doesn't mean you should, nor that is the correct one, most likely Apple just decided to go XHC2 due to device id or something similar, our NUCs can (actually almost any MB) could have their devices renamed to anything we like, true is that certain SMBIOS better work with specific devices.

For instance, macmini8,1 has a total of four TB ports, dividing each pair as a different device, the first device has enumerated DSB2 USB as XHC2, the second one has it as XHC3. Controlled ID is the same in both instances, that's why they broke it down to 2/3 so that IOUSB...... Detects which one is which and their devices show and work correctly.

Since we don't use the same rules as Apple do, we can actually name our TB XHC something in the lines a real macmini would use, XHC and XHC2 are both fine, if you prefer to use XHC2 you can do so, just change values inside the .plist of the extension I uploaded earlier to match your desired device identifier and give it a try.

NOTE: IOElectrify is an old project that is meant only for SB devices, lets say you would be on a PCI card and you would want to use that extension it would most likely not work, even on an "onboard" TB controller like ours would still cause issues, I would stay away tbh.

O.k., need a little help from you advanced Hackintosh guys... Everything works on my NUC10.. However, when it goes to sleep and wakes up the HDMI Audio stops working. It is there and selectable, but no sound comes out ?? I am using the VooDooHDA latest kext and alcid=23 in the bootup. No layout-id specified as well and obviously no AppleALC kext present.

What do you think ?

O.k., need a little help from you advanced Hackintosh guys... Everything works on my NUC10.. However, when it goes to sleep and wakes up the HDMI Audio stops working. It is there and selectable, but no sound comes out ?? I am using the VooDooHDA latest kext and alcid=23 in the bootup. No layout-id specified as well and obviously no AppleALC kext present.

What do you think ?
I dont think that issue has been solved.

I am using the VooDooHDA latest kext and alcid=23 in the bootup. No layout-id specified as well and obviously no AppleALC kext present.
I had no luck with Voodoo and sound on HDMI/Thunderbolt. But latest AppleALC + alcid=23 worked for me and seems to stay working after sleep. Maybe give it a try.

I had no luck with Voodoo and sound on HDMI/Thunderbolt. But latest AppleALC + alcid=23 worked for me and seems to stay working after sleep. Maybe give it a try.
Are you using HDMI Audio ? Thunderbolt ? Or are you using 3.5mm jack ? Bluetooth ? I am using HDMI Audio.

Update:

Tried AppleALC and all I see now in the Sound Output selections are Headphones and Internal Speakers.. NO HDMI ..

Last edited:
Back