Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

This is under Catalina Desktop support, can we keep it on topic or start another thread for the current release ?
make a new thread for Big Sur please

2. Your kind confirmation and assistance please:

When starting-up my NUC10i7, for some reason, I always get a strange behaviour, that first-boot screen (see below) is very slow, gradually shows some stuff in 3 parts, I think; then shows "Exiting efiboot..." and I am taken back to OpenCore main screen to select a boot drive. Upon second attempt of e.g. my Catalina 10.15.7 SSD, eventually I can boot.
@konsti

I have a NUC10i7, BIOS 45, Open Core 0.6.3, Catalina 10.15.7. I boot Catalina from the internal SATA and Windows from the internal SSD. When booting verbose, lines at the start are similar to those displayed in the post by @z1r0 . Lines scroll for 1-2 seconds, then immediately proceed with booting from my already selected startup drive.

What you are observing, if I understand you, IS "strange." Are you using the OpenCanopy boot picker? You should not be dumped back to the OC Picker to have to select your boot drive again. I'm guessing there may be a problem with the structure or contents of your EFI folder. Do you have mis-matched OC files (BOOTx64.efi, bootstrap.efi, OpenCore.efi)? But why would a second boot succeed?

Perhaps re-installing your BIOS might eliminate one possible trouble point.

Temporarily try another working EFI that somebody has posted in this thread to see if it boots properly.

I have verbose booting turned off unless there is a need to determine why booting is not working, and see if I can figure anything out from where the boot stalls.

I am not savvy enough to understand what is displayed during verbose boot. For the most part thankfully it just works. :)

O.k., so I have my Intel NUC 10th generation i5 running the latest Catalina. Couple of questions.

1.) I have the integrated wifi working, but it shows up as an ethernet card ? Anyone have a cleaner way of doing this with a kext and some settings ?

2.) I have audio working through Voodoo and out the HDMI cable to the display but on the menubar at the top you cannot adjust the volume from there ? Again, cleaner way of doing this ?

3.) Is there a way to set color depth ? Like 32 bit vs 24 bit, etc ?? The color depth looks off to me.

4.) Also, I am using OpenCore: 0.6.3. Is this what most people are using now instead of Clover, Multibeast, etc ?

Also, it would really help to have a sticky thread that has the most updated EFI folder and kext files, etc necessary for both the i5 and i7 variants of this.

It is a lot to scroll through all the messages and figure out is this i5 or i7 and does this person have the most up-to-date kext files and settings correct ? With a master sticky, we can much more easily master the images for others and have an exact what is working perfectly and what is not.

--UPDATE--:

If I use AppleALC and remove VoodooHDA kext I get the headphone and internal speakers options and the speaker icon is dark on the menu bar, however, HDMI Audio is no longer available as an output to select ????

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum, tempted to buy a NUC 10 i5, my local micro center has them for $380.

I'm very familiar with NUC 8's, I've read most of the HUGE thread for the NUC8.

Curious, does the NUC 10's run as good as the 8? no single piece of hardware has more support and R and D like the NUC 8 for hackintosh.

Also, do you guys seen any need to modify the EFI for NUC 10 i5? seems the EFI available are mostly for i7.

Thanks!

O.k., so I have my Intel NUC 10th generation i5 running the latest Catalina. Couple of questions.

1.) I have the integrated wifi working, but it shows up as an ethernet card ? Anyone have a cleaner way of doing this with a kext and some settings ?

2.) I have audio working through Voodoo and out the HDMI cable to the display but on the menubar at the top you cannot adjust the volume from there ? Again, cleaner way of doing this ?

3.) Is there a way to set color depth ? Like 32 bit vs 24 bit, etc ?? The color depth looks off to me.

4.) Also, I am using OpenCore: 0.6.3. Is this what most people are using now instead of Clover, Multibeast, etc ?

Also, it would really help to have a sticky thread that has the most updated EFI folder and kext files, etc necessary for both the i5 and i7 variants of this.

It is a lot to scroll through all the messages and figure out is this i5 or i7 and does this person have the most up-to-date kext files and settings correct ? With a master sticky, we can much more easily master the images for others and have an exact what is working perfectly and what is not.

--UPDATE--:

If I use AppleALC and remove VoodooHDA kext I get the headphone and internal speakers options and the speaker icon is dark on the menu bar, however, HDMI Audio is no longer available as an output to select ????
According to this post from Github, wifi is supposed to show as Ethernet.

Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum, tempted to buy a NUC 10 i5, my local micro center has them for $380.

I'm very familiar with NUC 8's, I've read most of the HUGE thread for the NUC8.

Curious, does the NUC 10's run as good as the 8? no single piece of hardware has more support and R and D like the NUC 8 for hackintosh.

Also, do you guys seen any need to modify the EFI for NUC 10 i5? seems the EFI available are mostly for i7.

Thanks!
I don't have one anymore because I didn't like having to spoof OS X into thinking it was running a coffee lake processor, that and the graphics performance under performed compared to a comparable NUC8. I'd wait for the next generation Tiger Lake CPUs if you can be patient

I don't have one anymore because I didn't like having to spoof OS X into thinking it was running a coffee lake processor, that and the graphics performance under performed compared to a comparable NUC8. I'd wait for the next generation Tiger Lake CPUs if you can be patient
I wonder if Tiger Lake will ever be supported by Mac OS, since they already went M1 chips.

I wonder if Tiger Lake will ever be supported by Mac OS, since they already went M1 chips.
There is plenty of discussion about that on this site.... time will tell.

Update:

I can now confirm that the latest release, Alpha/Beta, of the Intel wireless kext (AirportItlwm-Catalina-v1.2.0-DEBUG-alpha-6b22398) works natively with the NUC 10's Intel wireless card !!! It also sees it as a wireless card now and not ethernet as well as you no longer need Heliport for viewing or configuring it either !! It was just updated it looks like 4 hours ago. Yesterdays did not work.

Link: https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm/releases 1.2.0-alpha is the one to get.

Back