Contribute
Register

Intel HD Graphics 5500 - Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. Apple doesn't use them.
I ran into problems once again.
I took the decision to erase the whole SSD and re-partition it using disk utility -> install OS X -> everything is fine. then i wanted to install windows -> rebooted and inserted the stick but it didnt appear in the boot list. i tried many times with different settings each time but still the same. after a while when i wanted to go back to OS X it just didnt boot and some times was booting the screen looks distorted. any way i sent it to a friend of mine he managed to install windows 8. now when i try to install windows again it doesnt give me the usb stick as an option, instead it shows the exact options before formatting the whole disk (all of them start with Clover *******) any idea what is wrong?

I ran into problems once again.
I took the decision to erase the whole SSD and re-partition it using disk utility -> install OS X -> everything is fine. then i wanted to install windows -> rebooted and inserted the stick but it didnt appear in the boot list.

Please define "the stick".

it doesnt give me the usb stick as an option,
instead it shows the exact options before formatting the whole disk (all of them start with Clover *******) any idea what is wrong?

Define "it".

Please define "the stick".

Define "it".

hhhhhhh I was in a hurry excuse me.
so I repartioned the whole SSD using disk utility then installed OS X just fine. then rebooted to install Windows but I couldn't find the option to choose Windows installer although I tried different methods. in this process I must have hurt OS X and the USB stick with OS X installer because when I tried to boot to OS X or the installer it shows the attached message.
IMG_20150930_202844.jpg

finally a friend of mine managed to install Windows 8.1 but strangely I'm seeing boot options the exact same options which I had before doing the whole process when I'm hitting the hot key.
1443659491262-1453773478.jpg

again I played with it a little and I harmed the windows installation so I can neither boot to Windows nor to OS X

...then rebooted to install Windows but I couldn't find the option to choose Windows installer although I tried different methods.

You need to use your BIOS hotkey to select the Windows installer USB (UEFI mode).

in this process I must have hurt OS X and the USB stick with OS X installer because when I tried to boot to OS X or the installer it shows the attached message.
View attachment 152996

GenericUSBXHCI.kext should not be used.

finally a friend of mine managed to install Windows 8.1 but strangely I'm seeing boot options the exact same options which I had before doing the whole process when I'm hitting the hot key.
View attachment 152995

You must have added those entries within the Clover GUI (best to not use options when you don't understand what they do)..

You can remove them with 'efibootmgr' in Linux.

You need to use your BIOS hotkey to select the Windows installer USB (UEFI mode).
yes I'm not a total noob, I understand how to do it luckily but the issue is it only appears as legacy and even I choose it I doesn't work. I've tried with Windows 10 and 7 on separate USB sticks.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext should not be used.
anything can be done from clover menus?

You must have added those entries within the Clover GUI (best to not use options when you don't understand what they do)..

You can remove them with 'efibootmgr' in Linux.
I've learnt this lesson the hard way. so shall I try to download Linux and start exploring from there?

yes I'm not a total noob, I understand how to do it luckily but the issue is it only appears as legacy and even I choose it I doesn't work. I've tried with Windows 10 and 7 on separate USB sticks.

Windows 7 requires you move some files around to have it recognized as UEFI (google it).

Must be certain UEFI is enabled...

USB should be created as follows:
- MBR, FAT32 single partition
- copy ISO root to root of USB partition

No third party software (eg. Rufus) is needed.

anything can be done from clover menus?

If you have it on your USB, plug the USB into another working computer and remove it from EFI/Clover/kexts.

If you have it on your system already, you can try to remove it from single user mode. But it probably won't work as it is likely marked OSBundleRequired=Root which means it loads early, and even in safe mode.

You can also try deleting it from the OS X installer (in Terminal).

I've learnt this lesson the hard way. so shall I try to download Linux and start exploring from there?

You will probably want to do some googling/reading on efibootmgr. There might be an option in Clover to remove Clover related entries (I haven't looked).

Windows 7 requires you move some files around to have it recognized as UEFI (google it).

Must be certain UEFI is enabled...

USB should be created as follows:
- MBR, FAT32 single partition
- copy ISO root to root of USB partition

No third party software (eg. Rufus) is needed.
I have a working Win8.1 USB stick now so all is good so far

If you have it on your USB, plug the USB into another working computer and remove it from EFI/Clover/kexts.

If you have it on your system already, you can try to remove it from single user mode. But it probably won't work as it is likely marked OSBundleRequired=Root which means it loads early, and even in safe mode.

You can also try deleting it from the OS X installer (in Terminal).

You will probably want to do some googling/reading on efibootmgr. There might be an option in Clover to remove Clover related entries (I haven't looked).
I downgraded the BIOS to A01 then upgraded to A07 and luckily all Clover options were gone.

it has been a great journey so far and i'm planning to do the whole thing again since i learnt a lot and hopefully this time will be much less buggy and always thanks to you for your support

@nguyenmac
can you give me your clover folder? I have a pretty same laptop and I need it (tried following the guides to create the USB but it didn't work)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back