Contribute
Register
Maybe something new on my side...disabling Thunderbolt Boot support in Gigabyte BIOS made my THB-C cable stop interfering and now it is regularly booting as before without it...at least for my FW HD through TH3-TH2-FW adapters . Its functionality seems the same as before. Still testing...

Now, aftwer a shutdown and with the cable inserted, Firewire Bus is recognized and activated without booting with the HD attached...Maybe things are improving...at least on my 299 chipset and Imac Pro SMBIOS definition. We'll see...

Would anyone be willing to give me a hand with my SSDT for the Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 in my X299 build? I have Thunderbolt 3 working great (it's driving my LG 5K UltraFine at 5K res), but the USB via the Thunderbolt ports only works:
  1. If I have the THB-C removed (which prevents booting into Windows)
  2. If I don't disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable at any point. Once I do this, the screen comes back on, but the USB hub never comes back up.
I've attached an IOReg dump, and my current Clover folder from my EFI drive. I've got the basics of editing the AML files, but I'm stumped at why I can't rename/add hotplug to the pci1b73,1100@0 within DSB1@1/UPS0@0.

Ideally, I'd like to find a way to leave the THB-C connected, but USB over TB3 only works with it disconnected right now.
Currently the only way to get the hotplug is without THB_C cable.
If you find a way to enable hotplug with the THB_C cable connected, you will solve the problem for everyone :lol:

Now, aftwer a shutdown and with the cable inserted, Firewire Bus is recognized and activated without booting with the HD attached...Maybe things are improving...at least on my 299 chipset and Imac Pro SMBIOS definition. We'll see...
The X299 chipset (as far as I know) recognizes the PCI-TB card (without THB_C cable) at boot even without connected devices, the other chipsets must have a device connected at the boot to recognize it (I have a TB dock always connected).
It is strange that without a THB_C cable your card is not recognized at boot.

Last edited:
Hi Lele. Yes, it's strange. At first it is recognized by the BIOS but after a couple of reboots it becomes invisible...
The last odd thing of the day I' m investigating is this: with the adapters and the external FW cable connected to the card without the device attached, the proper FW bus is activated and functional. Without anything it is not...maybe I'm wrong but so does it seem...

Last edited:
At the moment what I have achieved on my X299 Imac proish rig + GC-Alpine Ridge 1.0 without SSDT and THB-C cable inserted (BIOS Thunderbolt Boot Suppot Disabled) is post-boot hotplug for my FW HD through TH3-TH2/TH2-FW adapters with just the adapters connected to the TH external port without the device (my external Firewire HD). I hope this can somehow be helpful for others with different chipsets and configurations.

Can someone explain what happens between "Clover Boot screen" and verbose information that is supposed to start immediately after that?

My only option is to have "Thunderbolt Boot Support : Enabled" Otherwise my sound interface is not recognized. The problem is that it takes exact 50 seconds every time after the clover screen until I see any -v info at all. Just black screen!? After that I get a 70-30 chance of : Boot/Couldn't allocate runtime. (Prohibited sign i believe if not in -v)

I know It has something to do with the sound interface (motu 828es and 16a) because booting with just other thunderbolt peripherals such as my TB3-dock powered on I do not get this delay.

It doesn't matter if I use an SSDT or not either.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

@Consigliere : just out of curiosity...is the Motu card connected through a cable to the TH rear port of your rig?

Are you sure you absolutely need Boot Support Enabled? Are you using THB-C cable?

Back