Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naaaaaah:D:p:lol:
I'm an audio engineer and the cirrus logic chipset CS4392 in your DAC recommendation ( Max resolution is 24 bit ) doesn't compare to the ESS SABRE 9018 chipset ( Max resolution is 32 bit ). The GA x299 gaming 7/9 (And probably the designare as well ) carry this chip ( ESS 9018) as well as many top of the line ADC/DAC equipment you'll find in the biggest recording studios around the world ( Abbey Road Studios London, Skywalker Ranch, just to name a few ). Here are few good DACs in my opinion.
- https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/digital-to-analog-audio-converter . ESS SABRE 9018
- https://www.weiss.ch/products/dac202 . ESS SABRE 9018
- https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/hilo/ . Cirrus CS4398 DACs and CS5381 ADCs
PS I know they're not cheap. So best cheaper solution is still patching the Audio from the GA motherboard, Lol.
Cheers

Beyond 24 bit just isn't necessary and the topping amps sound great. -- https://www.androidauthority.com/why-you-dont-want-that-32-bit-dac-667621/

Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one. I'm just an amateur A cappella tenor (I think I have been paid a couple of times over the last 40 years) with perfect pitch who's hearing rolls off above 21kHz. No amount of expertise is going to make your hearing or appreciation of music better than mine. I know there are more expensive options. 99% of the people out there would just be wasting their money.

Last edited:
Someone can help me, I do not know exactly what lines I need to remove, apart from those that give it a name to eliminate as recommended by KGP.
Is the next...
PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable
PP_DisablePowerContainment
PP_FuzzyFanControl
I enclose the SSDT file in case someone knows how to remove those three things exactly.
I do not know if it is enough to remove the section with that name or the lines that follow it as well.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-Vega.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 43
Beyond 24 bit just isn't necessary and the topping amps sound great. -- https://www.androidauthority.com/why-you-dont-want-that-32-bit-dac-667621/

Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one. I'm just an amateur A cappella tenor (I think I have been paid a couple of times over the last 40 years) with perfect pitch who's hearing rolls off above 21kHz. No amount of expertise is going to make your hearing or appreciation of music better than mine. I know there are more expensive options. 99% of the people out there would just be wasting their money.
I'm not an amateur, I do this for a living with multiple platinum record sales behind me. I trust my ears, not magazine reviews. However there's really no point to this conversation, as I was just stated facts about the SABRE chipset used in professional environment vs the Cirrus. I agree that 99% won't hear the difference especially if they have cheaper commercial audio monitors which is not my case. Lastly, the point of this thread is not to replace or find an easy fix/shortcut to the guide @kgp put together. If you decided to buy a DAC, it would be to upgrade your system, not because you could not manage to read the guide.

I'm not an amateur, I do this for a living with multiple platinum record sales behind me. I trust my ears, not magazine reviews. However there's really no point to this conversation, as I was just stated facts about the SABRE chipset used in professional environment vs the Cirrus. I agree that 99% won't hear the difference especially if they have cheaper commercial audio monitors which is not my case. Lastly, the point of this thread is not to replace or find an easy fix/shortcut to the guide @kgp put together. If you decided to buy a DAC, it would be to upgrade your system, not because you could not manage to read the guide.

The DAC is only one part of the package A solution like the topping amp replaces cheap PC speakers with nice ones (Don't confuse people with the word "Monitor"). It's not a matter of "Not being able to read the guide." Lastly, Madonna makes platinum. I'm not impressed. I am an "amateur" because I find your industry disgusting and I have no interest in being a part of it. So you are right, there is no point to your smugness.

@macs_forever
Don't let your emotions lose the focus my friend. There's a difference between musical talent and quality sound recordings. This community has other issues than our ridiculous feud. If you wish to continue feeding it, knock yourself out. I'm off :lol::wave:
PS: By the way smugness started with your "perfect pitch who's hearing rolls off above 21kHz". Hilarious. :clap:

Last edited:
I think I broke my OSXWifi card after trying to shield the cables.

I ordered another module from China, it should get here in a week or two.

Thankfully I can just use the onboard Wifi/BT for now.

@macs_forever
Don't let your emotions lose the focus my friend. There's a difference between musical talent and quality sound recordings. This community has bigger issues than our ridiculous feud. If you wish to continue feeding it, knock yourself out. I'm off :lol::wave:
PS: By the way smugness started with your "perfect pitch who's hearing rolls off above 21kHz". Hilarious. :clap:
@Ellybz what are your views on the AKM DACs like the AK449x series, especially in contrast to the ES9038

Hi, first of all I want to tank OP, and everyone who contributed, for the great guide.

I upgreded my system from a gigabyte z87x with i7-4770k to the Asus x299 Prime with i7-7800x and I'm facing some problems with USB.
I have the working copy of High Sierra 10.13.4 in one of my ssd. I tried to boot to it using a spare pen drive with Clover installed to it and the EFI folder linked in this guide. The system boots but none of the usb ports are working, they seems to stop work just after the boot process starts of Clover.
I tried to use UsbInjectAll and GenericUSBXHCI kext but nothing has changed.

I tried to boot to the Mojave installer and also in this case no usb are working.
Someone had this kind of issue?

EDIT: I found that one of the usb ports on the back is working, in my case is the one next to the usb-c. I also tried JaminMC's usb port limit kext from your repository without any luck.

EDIT 2: In early boot stage I see a lot of error about ACPI namespaces and eventually some errors related to XHCI hardware exception, but I don't know how to fix that.

EDIT 3: I'm attaching my EFI Folder.

Attachments

• salvatore.polito's EFI.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
@Ellybz what are your views on the AKM DACs like the AK449x series, especially in contrast to the ES9038
My position on DACs is very simple. If you do not have the capacity or necessity to purchase a top grade DAC ( similar to my suggestions on post #817 ) stick to the MOBO audio controller they are perfectly fine IMO. There is a major difference between consumer products and top professional audio gear. Also FYI the chipset of a DAC is not the only important matter. There are many other factors that are crucial for a good listening environment.
PS: I'm a big fan of Benchmarks DACs. Mytek DACs are also very good. If cost is an issue, rather get a used Benchmark DAC1 on Ebay than a new consumer type product. Good luck with your choices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back