Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my friend @kgp I have recently updated to the new bios 1603, and it purposely states in Asus website that "it fixes usb issues" and what not, but I have find myself left without USB after that... Have you updated to the latest?

My friend, if you need some help you need to provide more information. USB works flawless on my system, also with BIOS firmware 1603.

Let's resolve this shall we? If you receive a minimum of 3 likes from regular users of this thread on your last comment within the next week, I will gladly apologize to you and remove my profile and contribution from this community.

That sounds petty. Do what ever you want. I'm not interested.

Hi, first of all I want to tank OP, and everyone who contributed, for the great guide.

I upgreded my system from a gigabyte z87x with i7-4770k to the Asus x299 Prime with i7-7800x and I'm facing some problems with USB.
I have the working copy of High Sierra 10.13.4 in one of my ssd. I tried to boot to it using a spare pen drive with Clover installed to it and the EFI folder linked in this guide. The system boots but none of the usb ports are working, they seems to stop work just after the boot process starts of Clover.
I tried to use UsbInjectAll and GenericUSBXHCI kext but nothing has changed.

I tried to boot to the Mojave installer and also in this case no usb are working.
Someone had this kind of issue?

EDIT: I found that one of the usb ports on the back is working, in my case is the one next to the usb-c. I also tried JaminMC's usb port limit kext from your repository without any luck.

EDIT 2: In early boot stage I see a lot of error about ACPI namespaces and eventually some errors related to XHCI hardware exception, but I don't know how to fix that.

EDIT 3: I'm attaching my EFI Folder.

Other strange thing are happened.
I extracted my ACPI tables via Clover F4, decompiled DSDT with all SSDTs to avoid error and than I fixed the remain errors left inside the DSDT.
The system did not boot if I put this DSDT in ACPI/patched but I could see that all USB ports are working (since keyboard and other device at least are powered). I think that "Got Boot Device .." is the problem, I couldn't understand why since I'm using a Sata ssd to boot.

I'm attaching DSDT, EFI folder and IOREG. @kgp could you help me?

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    125.8 KB · Views: 87
  • iMac di Salvatore.ioreg
    10.9 MB · Views: 69
  • EFI.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 120
Other strange thing are happened.
I extracted my ACPI tables via Clover F4, decompiled DSDT with all SSDTs to avoid error and than I fixed the remain errors left inside the DSDT.
The system did not boot if I put this DSDT in ACPI/patched but I could see that all USB ports are working (since keyboard and other device at least are powered). I think that "Got Boot Device .." is the problem, I couldn't understand why since I'm using a Sata ssd to boot.

I'm attaching DSDT, EFI folder and IOREG. @kgp could you help me?

No idea what you exactly want me to do, my friend. I can revise your EFI-Folder and IOREG findings. But don't expect me to analyse your DSDT modifications.

I personally don't use any DSDT.aml in my EFI-Folder and I exclusively live with the ACPI replacements in the config.plist of my EFI-Folder distribution and my System SSDTs, all available on Github.

No idea what you exactly want me to do, my friend. I can revise your EFI-Folder and IOREG findings. But don't expect me to analyse your DSDT modifications.

I personally don't use any DSDT.aml in my EFI-Folder and I exclusively live with the ACPI replacements in the config.plist of my EFI-Folder distribution and my System SSDTs, all available on Github.

@kgp thanks for your help.
I'll try to explain better my problem.

I could not get the usb ports to work correctly following this guide.
Following the guide, with your config.plist and DSDT patches in Clover's config enabled and without any SSDT from the repository, I got only one usb port working (the one next to usb-c that is attached to AsMedia's 3.1 gen2 controller). I'm running a vanilla install on High Sierra 10.13.6.
You can see this in IORegistryExplorer:
Schermata-2018-12-14-alle-16-12-19.png

So, right now:
2x usb 3.1 gen 2 from AsMedia (one is type A and one is type C) --> the type A is working and I suspect that also the type C is working
4x usb 3.1 gen 1 from x299 chipset --> not working
2x usb 2.0 from x299 chipset --> not working

By "not working" I mean that devices are not powered on (my pendrive didn't blink and my keyboard did not show nor caps lock nor numpad leds).

This morning I tried to patch the DSDT manually without using your clover's patch but as I said I could not get my system to boot.
At this point I'm asking how you got usb in your motherboard, I think that x299 Deluxe and x299 Prime share the same intel usb controller, so I should fix the problem in the way you fixed.

Also if anyone has my exact motherboard, the Asus X299 Prime, please contact me.

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-12-14 alle 16.12.19.png
    Schermata 2018-12-14 alle 16.12.19.png
    483.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
@kgp thanks for your help.
I'll try to explain better my problem.

I could not get the usb ports to work correctly following this guide.
Following the guide, with your config.plist and DSDT patches in Clover's config enabled and without any SSDT from the repository, I got only one usb port working (the one next to usb-c that is attached to AsMedia's 3.1 gen2 controller). I'm running a vanilla install on High Sierra 10.13.6.
You can see this in IORegistryExplorer:
Schermata-2018-12-14-alle-16-12-19.png

So, right now:
2x usb 3.1 gen 2 from AsMedia (one is type A and one is type C) --> the type A is working and I suspect that also the type C is working
4x usb 3.1 gen 1 from x299 chipset --> not working
2x usb 2.0 from x299 chipset --> not working

By "not working" I mean that devices are not powered on (my pendrive didn't blink and my keyboard did not show nor caps lock nor numpad leds).

This morning I tried to patch the DSDT manually without using your clover's patch but as I said I could not get my system to boot.
At this point I'm asking how you got usb in your motherboard, I think that x299 Deluxe and x299 Prime share the same intel usb controller, so I should fix the problem in the way you fixed.

Also if anyone has my exact motherboard, the Asus X299 Prime, please contact me.

Remove your modified DSDT.aml! It messes and turns your entire system upside down! Look in IROEG under XHCI, there is absolutely nothing!

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 16.53.59.png

How do you expect your USB ports to work such??

You do already have the truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for your Prime-A in your EFI-Folder. Now add SSDT-USBX.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml to your EFI-Folder.

I even configured once an entire EFI-Folder for the Prime-A for somebody. Just search in either my High Sierra or Mojave X299 threads if you can find it, in case you are not able to adapt all SSDTs by yourself.

Good luck,

KGP

Remove your modified DSDT.aml! It messes and turns your entire system upside down! Look in IROEG under XHCI, there is absolutely nothing!

View attachment 372742

How do you expect your USB ports to work such??

You do already have the truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for your Prime-A in your EFI-Folder. Now add SSDT-USBX.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml to your EFI-Folder.

I even configured once an entire EFI-Folder for the Prime-A for somebody. Just search in either my High Sierra or Mojave X299 threads if you can find it, in case you are not able to adapt all SSDTs by yourself.

Good luck,

KGP

I've deleted DSDT.aml and copied SSDT-USBX.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml to ACPI/patched but nothing changed.

I'm attaching the current IOReg, so you can see.
Schermata 2018-12-14 alle 17.15.26.png

Attachments

• iMac di Salvatore.ioreg
    11.4 MB · Views: 73
I've deleted DSDT.aml and copied SSDT-USBX.aml, SSDT-X299-XHCI.aml, SSDT-X299-XHC.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml to ACPI/patched but nothing changed.

I'm attaching the current IOReg, so you can see.
View attachment 372747

Nothing changed? You now have at least XHC3 and XHC4 properly implemented, although I suppose you did not adapt SSDT-X299-XHC.aml at all, performed just a copy & paste and XHC2 got last somewhere on the way.

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 17.49.56.png

What makes your mess with XHCI I do not know, but it is already messed up in the very original ACPI table. What about your USB BIOS settings?

Nothing changed? You now have at least XHC3 and XHC4 properly implemented, although I suppose you did not adapt SSDT-X299-XHC.aml at all, performed just a copy & paste and XHC2 got last somewhere on the way.

View attachment 372756

What makes your mess with XHCI I do not know, but it is already messed up in the very original ACPI table. What about your USB BIOS settings?

Yes, I copied without any changes.
And I'm also thinking that there is something wrong on the root, since no one has faced this problem, but I could not understand what.

Anyway, my BIOS settings for usb are:
Legacy USB Support : Enabled (I also tried Disabled but was the same)
USB Mass Storage Driver Support: Enabled
USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator: Disabled

I'm on 1602 bios, the latest for my board.

Yes, I copied without any changes.
And I'm also thinking that there is something wrong on the root, since no one has faced this problem, but I could not understand what.

Anyway, my BIOS settings for usb are:
Legacy USB Support : Enabled (I also tried Disabled but was the same)
USB Mass Storage Driver Support: Enabled
USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator: Disabled

I'm on 1602 bios, the latest for my board.

You will need to carefully revise and likely adopt most of the SSDTs based on your original IOREG ACPI table information to make them work properly or work at all!

Anyway something is at odd wit your XHC USB Controller. With the current native macOS XHCI USB implementation, all USB2.0 and USB3.0 connectors of your Prime-A will be non-functional. Based on this original XHCI ACPI table (which basically is unpopulated), also the XHC USB kext cannot generate any miracles and will simply not work at all.

However, following your recent IOREG save, all USB3.1 ports connected to different controllers than XHCI should now be fully functional.

Did your try to downgrade to BIOS 1503? Does this change something with respect to your USB2.0 and USB3.0 XHCI USB controller population in IOREG?

All over the years I have never seen an issue similar to yours. Maybe you should ask for a mobo replacement, if you do not find any solution. Your issue is totally unusual and anything else than expected. But you say that your USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports do work under windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back