Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it was mentioned that the deluxe now has msr lock option in bios, I’m hoping the prime-a does also? I guess I won’t know until I receive my new board shortly and update it.

I see it was mentioned that the deluxe now has msr lock option in bios, I’m hoping the prime-a does also? I guess I won’t know until I receive my new board shortly and update it.

From the frequent user feedback along my respective threads, it seems clear that ASUS implemented all modifications I asked for in the past in the respective firmware distributions of all ASUS X299 mainboards, including the one for the ASUS X299 Prime. However, aparrently you did not read any of the related posts, as otherwise you would also know that already a significant number of users following my guidelines confirmed success with the Asus X299 Deluxe. However, there are significant deviations from the Prime X299 Deluxe, not only concerning the SSDT implementation. Note that I already distributed an adopted/modified EFI-Folder for the ASUS X299 Prime in one of my posts in the other thread. Thus, I would wish that you get familiar with the already available information, instead of addressing repetative and avoidable discussions here, which already have their solution.

Thanks in advance for your comprehension, man!

Cheers,

KGP

I have been slowly but surely buying parts to build my future machine. The one part that I have been waiting to buy has been the CPU. Intel has recently announced a new line-up of Skylake-X chips that look very similar to the old line-up of Skylake-X Chips, but with some increase in Frequency and L3 Cache in some chips.
View attachment 359122
Originally I was aiming to buy the i9-7920x but now I am considering the i9-9920x. I know this is speculation, but can anyone foresee any increased difficulties implementing a successful build with these new chips since they will be somewhat different than the one installed in the iMacPro?

Thanks

This was the reason why I didn't get a Prime Deluxe and went with a Designare EX because of the bigger headpipes.

X299 is a heat monster and am looking forward to the 9980XE whenever it comes out.

I was hoping Intel would release a 22core X299 before letting it slowly die in the same way they did X99/etc, but I don't think we'll get 22core on the X299 at all. It will top out at 18core and they will probably come out with a X599 next year when 10nm becomes mainstream for them.

The Prime Deluxe II does look really good though. Built in Titan Ridge.

This was the reason why I didn't get a Prime Deluxe and went with a Designare EX because of the bigger headpipes.

X299 is a heat monster and am looking forward to the 9980XE whenever it comes out.

I was hoping Intel would release a 22core X299 before letting it slowly die in the same way they did X99/etc, but I don't think we'll get 22core on the X299 at all. It will top out at 18core and they will probably come out with a X599 next year when 10nm becomes mainstream for them.

The Prime Deluxe II does look really good though. Built in Titan Ridge.

I don't catch the point, how the fact that Skylake-X is a heat monster relates to the Prime Deluxe or Designare EX. This rather should be the related task for your custom water blocking. If you intended to refer to the Skylake-X power consumption, I would better understand your reasoning, although when using the EK-Monoblock with the Prime Deluxe, there is also absolutely no issue with the MOSFET cooling of the Prime Deluxe, which admittedly lacks perfection and efficiency without this latter modification. I am using the Prime Deluxe even with the i9-7980XE and even overclocked to 4.7Ghz for more than one year now absolutely without any issue.

I guess it is also totally misleading to expect major differences in thermal and related frequency CPU performance between properly delidded i9-79xx processors and soldered i9-99xx processors. The expected temperature differences in both cases range between 15% und 20%, when compared with the factory off-the-shelf i9-79xx processors.

Concerning the 22 core i9, I could not find any further information, although there are speculation about a 28 core Skylake-A equivalent to the XEON X-3175X and also about likely two different versions of the ASUS Dominus like in case of the WS Sage, i.e one for C621 and and the other for X599.

In any case, when considering Skylake-X already as a heat and power monster, the 28 core processors will be a doomsday in this aspect. ;)

Hi @kgp . You say how to patch nvidia web drivers in mojave. Ok, I tried another way to patch 10.13 drivers in mojave but the graphic acceleration was very poor instead of showting 8gb vram in system info. Did you get good graphics acceleration with your patch method?

Hi @kgp . You say how to patch nvidia web drivers in mojave. Ok, I tried another way to patch 10.13 drivers in mojave but the graphic acceleration was very poor instead of showting 8gb vram in system info. Did you get good graphics acceleration with your patch method?

1.) I changed to Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 on both my x299 and x99 systems 4 months ago.

2.) Forget about Nvidia under Mojave. No way to get it work.

Cheers,

KGP

I don't catch the point, how the fact that Skylake-X is a heat monster relates to the Prime Deluxe or Designare EX. This rather should be the related task for your custom water blocking. If you intended to refer to the Skylake-X power consumption, I would better understand your reasoning, although when using the EK-Monoblock with the Prime Deluxe, there is also absolutely no issue with the MOSFET cooling of the Prime Deluxe, which admittedly lacks perfection and efficiency without this latter modification. I am using the Prime Deluxe even with the i9-7980XE and even overclocked to 4.7Ghz for more than one year now absolutely without any issue.

I guess it is also totally misleading to expect major differences in thermal and related frequency CPU performance between properly delidded i9-79xx processors and soldered i9-99xx processors. The expected temperature differences in both cases range between 15% und 20%, when compared with the factory off-the-shelf i9-79xx processors.

Concerning the 22 core i9, I could not find any further information, although there are speculation about a 28 core Skylake-A equivalent to the XEON X-3175X and also about likely two different versions of the ASUS Dominus like in case of the WS Sage, i.e one for C621 and and the other for X599.

In any case, when considering Skylake-X already as a heat and power monster, the 28 core processors will be a doomsday in this aspect. ;)

The VRMs get hot. Pretty simple.

Hence why Prime Deluxe II has a proper heatsink.

X299 was a rushed platform...

The VRMs get hot. Pretty simple.

Hence why Prime Deluxe II has a proper heatsink.

X299 was a rushed platform...

As already mentioned above, the VRM issue of the Prime Deluxe is totally removed when using the EK-Monoblock.

Also that simple! No issues at all!

Intel use a thermal paste instead of a much more efficient solder, for our CPUs and so the heat is very badly evacuated.
And there was a problem with VRM related in different feeds and articles, but it seems that for Asus X299 Prime Deluxe, this problem was relatively limited compared to other manufacturers: sorry for this link in French but google translate can be used.:
https://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/test-x299-desastre-vrm-enquete,2-2702.html
So water block should be recommanted for overclocking and also delidding with metal thermal compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back