Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not like to feel guilty for wrong advices and be responsible if something fails with your work, that's why I already did not answer on your former similar request.. ;)

For me, 10.14 was already extremely stable during the public betas and nothing changed my mind or impression under 10.14.0 or 10.14.1. There is really nothing to be compared with all problems related to the early 10.13 distributions. I am more than satisfied with my actual 10.14.1 build. Everything works without issues. But certainly I can only talk about my needs and applications, which might be quite different from yours.

Now if you want to implement 10.14.1 without any risk, simply clone your 10.13 system disk and perform the upgrade there.

Anyway you might also think about a clean install of 10.14.1 onto a separate disk, which might be likely the cleaner approach.

Hope this helps somehow...

KGP

Yes indeed. I'll clone/install this weekend so I can (somehow) contribute to this thread instead of taking a peek here and there :)

I upgraded on Saturday. So far it's been good (I had been playing with it intermittently using a separate SSD earlier).

As a dev, it's been a pain to get everything to work. C/C++ headers are no longer in /usr/include , you have to install a package. The command line to install the command line tools no longer work and the new headers from the 10.14 SDK can't be compiled with anything but the clang provided by xcode.
Had to hack the 10.13 SDK from another box and copy it locally (Apple always delete all earlier SDK when upgrading)

@kgp has made that upgrade painless, all the tricks and what to do got sorted out, was really a breathe.

Yeah Apple does this all the time with major OS updates, they sometimes don't even put these updates in the release notes.

I'm more afraid of the graphic substrate, if it will break CC2018 or not.

10.13 was a nightmare until 10.13.3+ and 10.13.4 had major graphic substrate updates which broke some things for me.

Reactions: kgp
@kgp Mate! all good just booted up with my RX 580 in place! :) now just have to add the SSDT entry for it.. any suggestions mate?

I guess you have not to change much.. mostly you have to be careful with the "PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable", which you should properly adopt or drop, if necessary. In any case, watch your GPU temps under load conditions. Otherwise, I have absolutely no personal experience with the RX 580 and I am therefore also the wrong person to ask.. ;)

Good luck,

KGP

I guess you have not to change much.. mostly you have to be careful with the "PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable", which you should properly adopt or drop, if necessary. In any case, watch your GPU temps under load conditions. Otherwise, I have absolutely no personal experience with the RX 580 and I am therefore also the wrong person to ask.. ;)

Good luck,

KGP

Thanks mate :) the new whatevergreen + lilu patches seem to do the trick. I’ll look into the power play table and keep a monitor on temps!

Basically my old SSDT for Nvidia is interfering when it’s loaded this not loading the card, when I disable the SSDT then it’s fine.ill have to just find and remove/ replace those entries I guess.

Thanks mate!

Thanks mate :) the new whatevergreen + lilu patches seem to do the trick. I’ll look into the power play table and keep a monitor on temps!

Basically my old SSDT for Nvidia is interfering when it’s loaded this not loading the card, when I disable the SSDT then it’s fine.ill have to just find and remove/ replace those entries I guess.

Thanks mate!

You cannot use the Nvidia-SSDT with the RX 580, thus it should be removed. You should use the Vega-SSDT instead and adopt implemented ACPI path and ACPI replacements in concordance with what you see in IOREG.

Good luck,

KGP

You cannot use the Nvidia-SSDT with the RX 580, thus it should be removed. You should use the Vega-SSDT instead and adopt implemented ACPI path and ACPI replacements in concordance with what you see in IOREG.

Good luck,

KGP
Sounds good!

Will get in that tomorrow ✌️

Then you should also not remove SSP2, isn't it? Or otherwise, how should it work with USB3.0 devices, if SSP2 is really assigned with it, as you supposed in post #381?
So I opened the PC, was a bit of a pain to access the USB header connector as it was covered by the nvidia 1080ti card.
And to my surprise, I was using header 11 and not header 13 like I thought I did. The installer who setup my custom cooling must have changed connector. So I moved from 11 back to 13, and to my surprise everything worked the same !

It turned out, header 11 and header 13 are connected to the same ASM107x hub and as such all share the same HS9/SSP01 port.

So I've amended post #370.
You'll find the layout ASCII art attached, and the updated kext (I copied the port layout in there)

So all that is missing from my original X299USB.kext is HS01 and HS02, and you are correct there's no need for SSP02

Attachments

• USB-Layout.txt
    630 bytes · Views: 81
  • JYA-iMacPro-ASRock-X299PGXE-XHCI-15port.kext.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 58
  • JYA-iMacPro-ASRock-X299PGXE-XHCI.kext.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 55
So I opened the PC, was a bit of a pain to access the USB header connector as it was covered by the nvidia 1080ti card.
And to my surprise, I was using header 11 and not header 13 like I thought I did. The installer who setup my custom cooling must have changed connector. So I moved from 11 back to 13, and to my surprise everything worked the same !

It turned out, header 11 and header 13 are connected to the same ASM107x hub and as such all share the same HS9/SSP01 port.

So I've amended post #370.
You'll find the layout ASCII art attached, and the updated kext (I copied the port layout in there)

So all that is missing from my original X299USB.kext is HS01 and HS02, and you are correct there's no need for SSP02

Yet there is something wrong with the USB 3.0 connector assigned to HS12, it is definitely missing the corresponding SS-Port in your layout. I am also still concerned about HS10 and HS 11, as they are obviously not assigned to any physical USB2.0 connector, but could be assigned to something internally like to Aura interface like in case of HS14 on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.

Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 23.08.28.png

I initially also dropped HS13 and HS14 ports not assigned to any physical USB2.0 connector from the kext, but needed to add these ports subsequently following the respective user feedback about failing devices if the latter two ports would not be implemented. I would feel more comfortable to implement HS10 (255) and HS11 (255) and rather drop two of your external USB2.0 connectors.

BTW.. excellent idea to implement the layout within the kext. I will do the same and also request this in the guide from others. By this other users are perfectly able to decide for themselves which ports to drop from the fully implemented kext if necessary.

Although I suggest to implement some further details as I also did in my case.

Code:
Internal Connectors - Frontpanel: 4x USB 3.0

2x USB 3.1 Gen1

left              right

U31G1-56          U31G1-78

HS01              HS02

SSP1              SSP2

+++++++
[/COLOR]

2x USB 3.1 Gen1

left             right

U31G1-12         U31G1-34

HS03             HS04

SSP3             SSP4

+++++++

Internal Connectors -  Frontpanel: 2x USB 2.0

USB78

HS08      HS07

+++++++

Back-Panel, 1st row at the top: 2x USB 3.0

USB 3.1 Gen 1

port E2_5     port  E2_5

HS06          HS06

SSP6          SSP6
+++++++

Back-Panel, 2nd row from top: 2x USB 3.0

USB 3.1 Gen 1

port E34   port E34

HS05       HS06

SSP5       SSP6
+++++++

Back-Panel, 3rd row from top:  4x USB 2.0  ports 9-12

port 12    port11   port10   port09

HS12       HS11     HS10     HS09
+++++++

2x Internal USB 2.0

port 13       port14

HS13          HS14

I will also consider in both my guide and kexts your impressive demonstration that also HS and SS ports assigned to internal USB3.0 headers should have USBConnector number 255.

Last edited:
I need to upgrade my X299 to Mojave... BUT I'M SKEERD. It works perfectly under High Sierra! I'll wait until more kinks are worked out in later minor revisions. Until then I will just watch you guys. Having thoughts of selling it since I don't really need that much power now. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I need to upgrade my X299 to Mojave... BUT I'M SKEERD. It works perfectly under High Sierra! I'll wait until more kinks are worked out in later minor revisions. Until then I will just watch you guys. Having thoughts of selling it since I don't really need that much power now. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

If you don't sell your system finally, just take a spare disk and install Mojave on it or clone your 10.13 system disk and upgrade to Mojave on the clone drive. You can even make another bootable clone of your current 10.13 system disk and disconnect it from your rig meanwhile you upgrade to or perform a clean install of Mojave. Absolutely nothing can happen by this. I really don't understand all related drama and fears. Awesome, dude.. ;)

Yet there is something wrong with the USB 3.0 connector assigned to HS12, it is definitely missing the corresponding SS-Port in your layout. I am also still concerned about HS10 and HS 11, as they are obviously not assigned to any physical USB2.0 connector, but could be assigned to something internally like to Aura interface like in case of HS14 on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.

I will also consider in both my guide and kexts your impressive demonstration that also HS and SS ports assigned to internal USB3.0 headers should have USBConnector number 255.

Nah, I just made a mistake when I copied the text in my earlier post, HS12 is paired with SSP3, and it is in the info.plist

The ASRock doesn't have a fancy colorthing like the Asus Aura, it may have a USB2.0 interface but I haven't seen it. Also, when I originally created that file I had the nolimit patch applied, if there was a USB device attached to HS10 or 11, I would have seen it.
And in any case, seeing that would be unusable under macOS why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back