Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp Which thunderbolt card will you be using?

I'm planning to use 2 cards: NVIDIA and AMD in different slot and disable one of the slots in OSX, I've tested this with a Z390 motherboard and it works fine. I'm curious to know what would be the best AMD card to use in this system though.

I'm planning to use 2 cards: NVIDIA and AMD in different slot and disable one of the slots in OSX, I've tested this with a Z390 motherboard and it works fine. I'm curious to know what would be the best AMD card to use in this system though.

GC-Titan Ridge.

I will use my Nitro+ Vega 64 for now, but why don't you wait until the Radeon VII is fully implemented under macOS and confirmed to work also with X299 systems? In this case, I would not see any reason for implementing a Nvidia GPU in addition.

GC-Titan Ridge.

I will use my Nitro+ Vega 64 for now, but why don't you wait until the Radeon VII is fully implemented under macOS and confirmed to work also with X299 systems? In this case, I would not see any reason for implementing a Nvidia GPU in addition.

I already have the NVIDIA GPU and I use it for other things outside the scope of gaming / OSX :)
Do you think a RX560 or RX580 work fine in this configuration?

I already have the NVIDIA GPU and I use it for other things outside the scope of gaming / OSX :)
Do you think a RX560 or RX580 work fine in this configuration?

I never used a RX 580 myself and RX 560 is absolutely low level in my opinion. Also a Vega 56 could be a thinkable option in your case. Maybe somebody else can give you better feedback or advise in this direction.

Keep in mind if you’re looking at using the sage it’s recommended to use slots 1 and 5 for dual graphics cards. And thunderbolt card has to be in slot 2 according to the manual and available slot option in bios. Meaning one of your cards will have to be a one slot card or you’ll need a riser cable. The second card in slot 5 will also become x8 if you have anything in slot 4 or 6. Also the sage boards only have one internal usb 3 header so if you need front ports and other internal usb devices you’ll either have to get a Mac compatible usb 3 pci card with internal header or a internal usb 3 hub (only one I’ve seen is the sabrent one)

Just some observations and testing I’ve done with my sage 10GB board :)

Reactions: kgp
Keep in mind if you’re looking at using the sage it’s recommended to use slots 1 and 5 for dual graphics cards. And thunderbolt card has to be in slot 2 according to the manual and available slot option in bios. Meaning one of your cards will have to be a one slot card or you’ll need a riser cable. The second card in slot 5 will also become x8 if you have anything in slot 4 or 6. Also the sage boards only have one internal usb 3 header so if you need front ports and other internal usb devices you’ll either have to get a Mac compatible usb 3 pci card with internal header or a internal usb 3 hub (only one I’ve seen is the sabrent one)

Just some observations and testing I’ve done with my sage 10GB board :)

Would it be possible to use instead slot 3 and 5 for the graphics cards?

Going from this image it seems that it should be possible to run cards from 3rd and 5th slot.

View attachment 393002

Going from this image it seems that it should be possible to run cards from 3rd and 5th slot.

Idk if asus changed something in most recent bios versions but it shows an ! Mark if I place a gpu in slot 3 instead of 5. It still works though. Currently swapping cases and messing around so will show pictures from bios tonight

Sounds good. The PC-O11 is a beautiful case!

Question about USB though, does any of the USB3 connector work in OSX? I have a USB front panel and an AIO that needs a USB2 port.

If any of the internal USB3 header work, the USB2 AIO could be used with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E42A4L0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Sounds good. The PC-O11 is a beautiful case!

Question about USB though, does any of the USB3 connector work in OSX? I have a USB front panel and an AIO that needs a USB2 port.

If any of the internal USB3 header work, the USB2 AIO could be used with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E42A4L0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Yep all USB ports work in OSX. I made a USB Kext in @kgp github repo and since the sage 10GB doesn’t have that many ports you don’t have to worry about deciding which ports to disable in mac :)

But yep I use those adapters for bluetooth and my usb 2 hub.

I used to have
Internal usb 3 header -> usb 3 to usb 2 adapter -> usb 2 hub -> bluetooth, Titan ridge usb cable, and Corsair commander pro (which then has two additional USB ports -> power supply, and h150i)
Usb 3 pci card with internal usb 3 header -> front usb ports

Currently messing with
Internal usb 3 header -> sabrent usb 3 hub -> front usb header, bluetooth (with usb 3 to usb 2 adapter), Titan ridge (with usb 3 to usb 2 adapter)

Dropping the Corsair stuff since Mac OS will not sleep with the aio plugged in. Also switching to full watercooling soon anyway so doesn’t matter.

I’m not sure about other aios but if sleep is important to you and you get Corsair just setup your profile in windows first, then plug the fan cables to your fan headers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back