Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that it could be a hardware issue. What Power Supply are you using? What RAM? Did you run memtest86 for 24 hours when you first built the machine? I always recommend running Memtest86 on new builds.
Im using 32GB of Corsair LP 1866 DDR3. This build is old, it has just been upgraded every so often, with the CPU and Motherboard being the latest upgrade. I will run memtest86 when I come back from work later on. The Power Supply is a 550w XFX this one here that is not being sold anymore https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550...-550s-xxb9-80-plus-bronze-1x135mm-fan-atx-psu
It might be memory, but I doubt it as it never happens in Windows and I play games and all sorts.

Im using 32GB of Corsair LP 1866 DDR3. This build is old, it has just been upgraded every so often, with the CPU and Motherboard being the latest upgrade. I will run memtest86 when I come back from work later on. The Power Supply is a 550w XFX this one here that is not being sold anymore https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550...-550s-xxb9-80-plus-bronze-1x135mm-fan-atx-psu
It might be memory, but I doubt it as it never happens in Windows and I play games and all sorts.

Not familiar on the Power Supply you have although it does say on the website that it is Haswel Ready. Recommend checking that you're RAM is on the Manufactures Memory Support. Im beginning that it could be a hardware problem or maybe a BIOS version.

Of course. I see now. Well, bad news for me, it happened again. It looks like it's not fixed. Very weird this is happening and I would really like to know why.
I uninstalled flash on my hack to eliminate that as well. On my MacBook Pro it never happens, so it can't be something that happens on real macs as well.
If I leave it alone for 10 mins or so it sort of freezes but without completely crashing. After a few seconds it starts to regain it's composure despite being a bit laggy with laggy animations and then like it came it goes again and everything is back to normal. The whole process takes a maximum of 10 seconds. This is the only reason why I have been able to live with it sort of thing.
It looks like it goes into a really low power state and it takes a bit of time to wake up.
I'm thinking that it might be something to do with the C6/C7 states of my Haswell 4770K and the power supply. I upgraded to this i7 recently from my core i5 Ivy Bridge and the power supply hasn't been replaced in a while.
I don't know if this power supply supports the lower power states or if there are any conflicts.
Maybe I should disable the option in the bios?

Well, on a positive note you have helped me restore the power management on my rig so I can at least eliminate that. Thanks you very much

The described behaviour matches mine exactly and I'm also using a 4770K. The issue started definitively with Sierra. I didn't change anything with my hardware or Clover Configuration.

The described behaviour matches mine exactly and I'm also using a 4770K. The issue started definitively with Sierra. I didn't change anything with my hardware or Clover Configuration.

Im running both H97N-WIFI & H97M-D3H boards here with both Sierra and El Capitan. Not had any problems with Sierra although I'm not using HD 4600 on my H97N-WIFI but on my H97M-D3H I'm using HD 4600 which has issues in 10.12+ anyway.

I've checked the ram and it is definitely in the manufacturers list. It checks out on Memtest86 as well. It has something to do with Sierra and the CPU or the motherboard. It doesn't happen every time though. Sometimes it's ok. very random.
Im running both H97N-WIFI & H97M-D3H boards here with both Sierra and El Capitan. Not had any problems with Sierra although I'm not using HD 4600 on my H97N-WIFI but on my H97M-D3H I'm using HD 4600 which has issues in 10.12+ anyway.
It might be something simple like mail causing this issue. I ran Memtest86 and everything checks out. The chips are supported by the motherboard. Do you use Apple mail?

I've checked the ram and it is definitely in the manufacturers list. It checks out on Memtest86 as well. It has something to do with Sierra and the CPU or the motherboard. It doesn't happen every time though. Sometimes it's ok. very random.

It might be something simple like mail causing this issue. I ran Memtest86 and everything checks out. The chips are supported by the motherboard. Do you use Apple mail?

Yep i use Mail app. Not got no problems with it? The freeze you have is it a lock up or the app just freezes? What browser do you use? Does it only happen out of sleep? or is it a cold boot?

Yep i use Mail app. Not got no problems with it? The freeze you have is it a lock up or the app just freezes? What browser do you use? Does it only happen out of sleep? or is it a cold boot?

No it's system wide lock. During the period it's frozen I can't do anything. Then slowly I regain control. This is from cold boot and my temps are around 30c I have a water cooled single radiator AIO. From sleep it's fine apart from some audio cutouts but I am not bothered about that.
I have moved the turn display off slider to an hour as well so it doesn't go to sleep too quickly.

I'll give you an example; Say I am using it for 6 hours straight, nothing to report. Absolutely perfect.
I leave it for 10 to 15 mins and walk away from the computer, When I come back everything is working as normal, as soon as I touch the mouse or keyboard to do anything it freezes. 5 seconds later it starts to work but with a few stutters and animation lag, another 5 seconds and it's like nothing happened. Perfect again until I leave it idle for another 15 mins or so.
If I am watching a movie this doesn't happen. Only when nothing is happening.
Very strange, don't you think? I use Safari

No it's system wide lock. During the period it's frozen I can't do anything. Then slowly I regain control. This is from cold boot and my temps are around 30c I have a water cooled single radiator AIO. From sleep it's fine apart from some audio cutouts but I am not bothered about that.
I have moved the turn display off slider to an hour as well so it doesn't go to sleep too quickly.

I'll give you an example; Say I am using it for 6 hours straight, nothing to report. Absolutely perfect.
I leave it for 10 to 15 mins and walk away from the computer, When I come back everything is working as normal, as soon as I touch the mouse or keyboard to do anything it freezes. 5 seconds later it starts to work but with a few stutters and animation lag, another 5 seconds and it's like nothing happened. Perfect again until I leave it idle for another 15 mins or so.
If I am watching a movie this doesn't happen. Only when nothing is happening.
Very strange, don't you think? I use Safari

Could be caused by the CPU dropping its voltages in idle. Haswel for example drops its Power states id recommend checking the Power Supply for starters or test another Power Supply. I personally don't think its a OSX issue. Something to keep an eye on in idle is the voltages. I know without having a haswel certified PSU the machine will Power off.

Could be caused by the CPU dropping its voltages in idle. Haswel for example drops its Power states id recommend checking the Power Supply for starters or test another Power Supply. I personally don't think its a OSX issue. Something to keep an eye on in idle is the voltages. I know without having a haswel certified PSU the machine will Power off.
Yeah I think I'll do that. I been meaning to buy a modular power supply so this just gives me an excuse to do it now rather than later. I have hundreds of pounds invested in my rig and the only thing holding it back is the power supply.
I'll update this thread to keep you all posted anyways.
Thanks

Yeah I think I'll do that. I been meaning to buy a modular power supply so this just gives me an excuse to do it now rather than later. I have hundreds of pounds invested in my rig and the only thing holding it back is the power supply.
I'll update this thread to keep you all posted anyways.
Thanks

Im using the RM650 on my H97N-WIFI and works fine. The PSU is out of my old Z77-DS3H same with the RAM also but got no issues with that. Cant see you're RAM being the issue anyway. Id recommend testing the PSU tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back