Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ioreg shows AGPM still loaded. You could try making a SSDT to inject the AAPL. Something like this. But probably won't hurt. Looking under SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP it doesn't have any AAPL values.

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "APPLE ", "SSDT-PEG", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Scope (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP)
        {
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x03                                        
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x10)
                {
                    "AAPL,slot-name",
                    "Slot-1",
                    "name",
                    "Display Controller",
                    "model",
                    Buffer (0x18)
                    {
                        "Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 970"
                    },

"@0,connector-type",
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00                      
                    },

"@1,connector-type",
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00                      
                    },

"@2,connector-type",
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00                      
                    },

"@3,connector-type",
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00                      
                    },

"hda-gfx",
                    Buffer (0x0A)
                    {
                        "onboard-2"
                    }
                })
            }
        }
    }
}
I will have a look at it tomorrow. Need to go to bed now. :(

Shame it didn't work. Ive personally played with the AGM and SMBIOS of iMac for a while last year and without luck too. This is just my experience, but I don't think tis Web driver related either, as Ive done fresh installs of OS without them installed, got the freeze, installed web drivers (despite not needing them for my 780), and still got the freeze.

My hack is still working perfectly with the SSD swap. What a mystery.

Attachments

• Carlos’s iMac.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 124
I have enabled a couple of things in the bios. Including both GPU's can you tell me if everything is enabled in the IOReg please. I would like to try like this and see if it works. Thanks

Ioreg looks fine. IGPU is coming under iGPU which is good.

Ioreg looks fine. IGPU is coming under iGPU which is good.
Thanks mate, everything works fine like this but because I have the HD4600 enabled some webpages with video and live streams crash the computer completely needing a reboot. Live streams is the worst.

UPDATE
It seems that a definitive solution was found for my machine.
What didn't worked for me:
- Replace the SSD unit.
- Change darkwake value (I've tried each one).
- Playing with the AGPM kext (Actually it doesn't seem to have any effect on the GTX 970 PM).

What WORKED
I've done a clean install but before doing it I've done the following change to the UEFI setting:
- EHCI Hand Off > Enabled
- XHCI Mode > Auto
- Serial Port > Disabled
- Parallel Port > Disabled
No one single freeze has ever occurred since those changes, I've tested system in deep for 3 days up to now and no problem so far.
Reading my mobo (H97M-Plus) manual I've found an explanation to this. The PCIe Slots are shared with the EHCI2, Parallels Port and Serial Port Slots, I don't know why but there might be and interference between them, especially when they're working with a not officially supported driver (the Apple one). This is my humble explanation, but what cares the most is that no freezes came up again.
I know that other times I said that I've found a solution, my mistake since I haven't tested the system properly. This time, instead, after 3 days of tests I can definitely say that this is the most stable configuration I've ever had since El Capitan.

I hope my solution solves other's people similar situation, especially demonknight9's one.

UPDATE
- Replace the SSD unit.
- Playing with the AGPM kext (Actually it doesn't seem to have any effect on the GTX 970 PM).

What WORKED
I've done a clean install but before doing it I've done the following change to the UEFI setting:
- XHCI Mode > Auto
- Serial Port > Disabled
No one single freeze has ever occurred since those changes, I've tested system in deep for 3 days up to now and no problem so far.
Reading my mobo (H97M-Plus) manual I've found an explanation to this. The PCIe Slots are shared with the EHCI2, Parallels Port and Serial Port Slots, I don't know why but there might be and interference between them, especially when they're working with a not officially supported driver (the Apple one). This is my humble explanation, but what cares the most is that no freezes came up again.
I know that other times I said that I've found a solution, my mistake since I haven't tested the system properly. This time, instead, after 3 days of tests I can definitely say that this is the most stable configuration I've ever had since El Capitan.

I hope my solution solves other's people similar situation, especially demonknight9's one.
Thanks for all the time testing. Unfortunately all the settings you enabled I have already enabled before. They were the settings I have been using.
I will try and reinstall on my Toshiba from scratch and see if it makes a difference. Problem still remains

Thanks mate, everything works fine like this but because I have the HD4600 enabled some webpages with video and live streams crash the computer completely needing a reboot. Live streams is the worst.

Common problem with Sierra. Intel HD 4600 has problems i.e Freezing. No solution yet.

UPDATE
- Replace the SSD unit.

What WORKED
- XHCI Mode > Auto
- Serial Port > Disabled

AGPM patch is not needed with iMac 14,2. There will not be Powermanagement for the 970 Nvidia Web Drivers does not include Powermanagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back